MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Rider survives 140mph pigeon crash !!!

Rider survives 140mph pigeon crash !!! - Forums [Biker Match] Rider survives 140mph pigeon crash !!! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Rider survives 140mph pigeon crash !!!

AMAZINGLY a motorcyclist survived being knocked out after hitting a pigeon at 50mph, which caused him to accelerate to 140mph whilst unconscious.

Matthew Brealy, 38, collapsed on his Suzuki GSX-R1000 after the low-flying pigeon smashed through his helmet visor, leaving him unconscious but resulting in him opening the throttle - accelerating from 50 to 140mph.

After impact he remained on the bike and continued for a further 200 yards before the bike ploughed into an oak tree. Mr Brealy, from Whittington Moor in Chesterfield, suffered two skull fractures with bleeding to his brain, a broken leg, cracked ribs and a fractured hand in the crash.

He spent ten weeks in Sheffield's Northern General hospital following the accident in April, where his hand was re-wired and a titanium rod inserted in his leg. He is now learning to walk again with help from his pregnant wife Emma.

Describing the incident to the Daily Mail, Matthew said: "It smashed through my helmet visor and even smashed the lens of my glasses, I was doing about 50 mph at the time and the impact knocked me unconscious.

"It appears that I collapsed on the front of my bike and at the same time I hit the throttle so the bike just accelerated out of control.

"Police told me afterwards they estimated that the bike had gone from 50 mph to around 140 mph in a matter of seconds but thankfully for me it happened on a straight road which is why I probably didn't fall off the machine.

"My bike hit an oak tree with a glancing blow, I was thrown clear and the machine was smashed to pieces under the impact.

"Police confirmed a pigeon was the cause of the accident. My visor was left with a hole in it and I was covered in pigeon blood and feathers."

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 05/09/2011 11:44  

Nasty . I have hit my fair share of flying rats its bad enough the blood and feathers but it also means you get a helmet full of the little beasts that infest them .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/09/2011 12:10  

Wow, how's the pigeon, is he okay?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/09/2011 12:23  

lol @markie

Update Reply
kaycat @ 05/09/2011 12:26  

Best excuse ever for speeding???

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/09/2011 12:29  

Why have i suddenly got 'catch that pigeon' going round in my head !!!

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 05/09/2011 12:34  

Same here Bj lol

Update Reply
JP @ 05/09/2011 12:48  

Oh come on Markie!! The answer to that question is the oldest joke in the book lol!!

The rider was upset but the pigeon was truly gutted!

Boom boom!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 05/09/2011 13:13  

The pigeon is now wearing a pastry overcoat

Update Reply
harry worth @ 05/09/2011 21:35  

This isn't that uncommon, i remember several years ago a seagull getting hit at Philip Island at a GP can't remember who the rider was tho' It almost happened to me a few weeks ago going down the A272, a bird got spooked by my mate in front and it flew straight at me at head height and i had to duck to avoid getting it in the face

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/09/2011 20:53  

cooo cooo cooo

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/09/2011 13:31  

Seen it happen to a m8 on a trackday in front of me - how the hell he didnt crash amazes me still

Update Reply
potnoodles @ 07/09/2011 18:39  

That must suck....i took one to the chest at the same speed and it completely winded me so taking one to the face cant be much fun at all....

Update Reply
securitybob @ 09/09/2011 02:22  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email