MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Help needed URGENT

Help needed URGENT - Forums [Biker Match] Help needed URGENT - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Help needed URGENT

Hey everyone this is a long shot but tomorrow morning i am supposed to be leaving Manchester for HUNGARY doing a solo ride for charity today the oil filter housing cover cracked on my gsx 1100 ese leaving me grounded does anyone have one spare or that they are selling or knows anyone who may sell on ebay or has a shop that they are will in gto get me this cover ths is a desperate plea from a solo lady rider...yes i could cold weld it but would you trust it for 4000 miles ?? thanks L&R lesley

Update Reply
Daisybev @ 20/08/2011 17:57  

I wish I could have helped you Daisybev, it's too late now isn't it? Did you get it sorted? If you got to Hungary let us know how the ride went. All the best and safe journeys.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 21/08/2011 00:45  

I would araldite it together . I did that for an engine casing on a TY250 for an emergency repair ..... 10 years later its still holding the oil in the engine .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/08/2011 18:32  

Did ya get sorted Daisybev ?? ...yes i could cold weld it but would you trust it for 4000 miles ?? You already knew the answer to that didnt ya ? And as to glueing together a vessel that holds PRESSURISED oil .. .. .. .. Well no comment !!!!!

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 24/08/2011 19:53  

greasytony mate how are you?

Could she not use some kind of glue to get her going and then someone post the part she needs out to her?

Update Reply
mungybear @ 24/08/2011 20:12  

Hiya Matt, not too bad mate, thank you very much for asking ... What if no-one finds one for her .. .. .. 4000 mile trip with an potentially leaky oil filter housing ......... Plus the added possibilty of stray 'glue' etc finding its way into your engine ??

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 24/08/2011 20:22  

Araldite epoxy does not break down in oil . If it will hold the engine case of a trials bike together that were completley split and with a chunk missing while its getting dropped onto solid rock etc all its life.. I think it will cope with a cracked oil filter housing .If you wanted to be extra safe you could combine it with fiberglass mat and make it really really strong . There is no big pressure in a filter housing . Oil pressure relates more to the flow rate of the pump pushing the oil round its circuit rather than any actual push against engine cases or filter housings .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/08/2011 22:12  

At no time have I suggested that Araldite would breakdown, break up or deteriorate in oil. I also have repaired engine covers in the manner you suggest ie alternator cover, ignition timer cover etc. The engine cases do not have the same pressures exerted on them as an oil filter housing. The pressure in the engine cases will only come from the downward motion of the pistons & that is dealt with by means of the engine breather system, feeding these gasses either to atmosphere or by way of re-circulating them back through the intake tract, or in some cases, both. In fact, the internal pressure of the cases vary between positive pressure and negative pressure very swiftly due to the movement of the pistons. If you wish to glue your oil filter housing together, FINE !! But to suggest that a third party do it is not only irresponsible but also very foolish, as this is termed a critical component. A critical component is described a component liable to cause injury or death should the component fail, I will leave to your imagination the consequences of an oil filter housing failing whilst travelling along the road !!!!!!!!!! Daisy herself even dismissed welding and trusting it. An I would, by far, trust a weld over a bit of glue Your last sentence :: Oil pressure relates more to the flow rate of the pump pushing the oil round its circuit rather than any actual push against engine cases or filter housings . Is utter and total bollocks and, unfortunately, shows your lack of knowledge of simple physics also!!! Any pump, be it oil, fuel, water or even air will NOT create pressure .. .. A pump creates FLOW .. PERIOD. Pressure is created by a restriction in the flow of the vessel, gallery, pipe, tube or circuit, whatever you want to term it. The greater the restriction, The greater the force required to overcome it, therefore the increase in the flow pressure.

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 25/08/2011 13:39  

I am well aware of how the breathers pump pressure etc works with flow rate . I was just not being over long winded as on a phone in a field its not so easy to type it all out . As it happens I am a hydraulic engineer in a muddy field with a good idea of what will hold what together under pressure . Now you might not like my suggestion fair enough .. But to an emergency situation I offered am emergency solution . Quick fix solutions are rarely perfect thats why they are for emergencys only . If the op had asked for a permanent solution then I would not be suggesting resin . Simples . Or perhaps your understanding of the english language is as poor as you suggest my physics are ;-)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/08/2011 14:00  

I see not much has changed here then lol as an expert in the field of fluid transfure and storage systems ie plumber in find this very funny

did you get it sorted Daisybev ?

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 25/08/2011 16:44  

Join in its fun . Mr Greasy will be along soon I am sure with more pearls of negativity .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/08/2011 17:12  

All I will say is if the glued pump housing failed and the lass was doing 70mph and dumped the contents of said engine over her back tyre a emergence sitiation would follow so just to get you home then i may try it but 4000 miles

Update Reply
JP @ 25/08/2011 17:45  

Well I did say "emergency" each person has there own version of what an emergency is .. Ask a 999 call center worker about that one . I would risk it for a biscuit but then I am from an offshore background where there were no shops so you just had to make do . I rigged my throttle cable to my front brake lever on a little honda once in an "emergency" ... it worked and got me 250 miles but it was a bit weird to ride at first .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/08/2011 18:39  

Errm I'm from an offshore background aswell,a long time,at no point did we just make do,agreed, no shops but bollox,the stores were a wee walk away. Risk it for a biscuit?hydraulic engineer,hope you didnt do that offshore,I saw the piper A flames,the result of people 'risking it for a biscuit' perhaps. As such an eminent qualified person should you be advising people to risk it,your own 'emergency' jobs affect you,thats fine but dont advise others to take the same route, you dont know what or when something might happen on a journey, a long one covering lots of miles a day like that the question was raised about. As you'r from an 'offshore background' I would've expected you to advocate safety first and foremost,

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 25/08/2011 22:50  

Yeay... This is more like it, I don't know about pressure but the friction is entertaining!!! I hope from DB's lack of response it means she got away. And for info I wouldn't risk it for a sh@g never mind a measley biscuit

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 25/08/2011 23:01  

Aye,so do I,if she did hope it was a good journey,fair play to her.

You should never risk it for anything less than a shag tho ,even a digestive with a lump of cheese and a grape on top.

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 25/08/2011 23:33  

Aye,so do I,if she did hope it was a good journey,fair play to her.

You should never risk it for anything less than a shag tho ,even a digestive with a lump of cheese and a grape on top.

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 25/08/2011 23:39  

We always risked it fix it with bean cans and string if thats what we had . We were paid on results and quantity . Life is cheap money is expensive .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/08/2011 06:42  

And with a twat in charge no wonder we pay so much for fuel

Update Reply
JP @ 26/08/2011 07:02  

This is why I got out of the game,attitudes like that,life cheap money expensive.The new school of thought that came in,never thought of fixing it with bean cans and string,even though I was in the drilling game and we were deemed the thugs of the oil field,that'll be how the oil co's got rid of off all those men then,maximise profit even further cos some would sacrifice others and fix things on the cheap.Very Thatcherite.
jp you wouldnt believe the crap that went on,especially when the big tax breaks were on for the oil co's.cant see it ever changing.

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 26/08/2011 15:26  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email