MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Changing MC club

Changing MC club - Forums [Biker Match] Changing MC club - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Changing MC club

Hi,

I've been with a women's motorcycle club for around a year.

Most of the members are quite experienced motorcyclists in their 50's and 60's, who ride there bikes to work on a regular basis.

I drive a London taxi for a living in central London and do something in the region of between 25000 - 28000 miles a year in it. I get to do around 1500 miles a year on my bike which is a nice 750 cruiser.

I'm in my early 40's and have recently purchased faster bike and had only previously owned a 250cc.

Getting comments made my other older club members that I ride 'too slow' whilst on fast roads. I like to ride at around 50-60mph on A roads. LOL

Think I need to change my MC club as the members are obviously speed freaks with loads and loads of riding experience.

Could anyone recommed a bike club in the London area that is more tolerant of 'part-time' inexperienced, younger riders ?

Comments appreciated.

Karen

Update Reply
KarenTwickenham @ 08/08/2011 07:37  

Now we all know you taxis like to herd but it not mandatory . Ride your own speed on your own route you dont need a club .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/08/2011 10:27  

Thanks !

I guess clubs are not for everyone, especially when they are still finding out their riding limits.

Had a great ride out in Surrey yesterday on my own and really enjoyed it.

Update Reply
KarenTwickenham @ 08/08/2011 10:46  

This is the second post I have read about your travelling speed, go your own speed KT, your safety is more important than thier needs to go fast. As Katoom said you don't need a club but I know what youre saying,it's better to have company. You just do youre thing and leave the speed freaks to it, theyre more likely to have an accident I should imagine.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/08/2011 11:42  

hey karen,, id agree, dont let other riders dictate your riding style or your speed , you do whats safe and comfy for you. There are plenty of lady riders on here that would be happy to tag along with you and do things at a leisurely pace im sure.

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 08/08/2011 11:49  

katooom,jm101 & boody Agree with you!

Update Reply
bkr @ 08/08/2011 11:53  

I agree with you all and I'm already planning some solo rideouts in Surrey.

Beautiful country lanes and views... I can't wait

Update Reply
KarenTwickenham @ 08/08/2011 12:48  

Have fun take care,pity your in surrey i'd have joined you for a country run.

Update Reply
bkr @ 08/08/2011 13:25  

OK - london cabbies never go above 50 unless in the arena of £ (in my experience anyway) - sorry Karen But hey Karen welcome to Surrey. Great roads and even greater if you venture in to Sussex. Not a member of a female bike group myself as I like company of blokes too much BUT recently back to biking after a long break (marriage put me off the road - tut tut) but with all that behind me I'm finding my feet again and if you know you are going to be in the box hill or newlands area I would be happy to join you. take care and as all have posted before and as all the courses you will / could attend they will say ride for yourself!!! A

Update Reply
angie_reigate @ 08/08/2011 16:43  

Hi Karen and welcome to the club Would I be correct in guessing that the other members of the bike club own sports / road bikes as opposed to cruisers? You could meet your fellow members at the destinations but ride there on your own, the best of both worlds perhaps, or maybe not, if they don't ride WITH you, leave you standing so to speak, then maybe your better off without them. Perhaps you could join a 'cruiser owners' club. I know cruisers go fast too, but they don't seem to be ridden as hard as sports bikes, IMHO, so perhaps you'd enjoy the rides out more? and that's the point, to ENJOY the ride. If there isn't a cruiser owners club in your area perhaps you could start one? Good Luck

Update Reply
Sandi @ 09/08/2011 01:06  

Spot on Sandi !!

They all own large road bikes and not cruisers. They obviously bought their machines for speed and not anything else, like going round the corner to get a pint of milk LOL

Thanks for this site, I've already found a couple or riders that don't mind a safe and steady spin in the countryside !

Update Reply
KarenTwickenham @ 09/08/2011 08:42  

when you are in a club, you need to ride as per the club. so changing clubs or going alone might be the way forward. whatever you do, dont slag the old club off! and i know you haven't and suspect you wouldnt.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/08/2011 08:38  

Very true about not slagging old club off, as there are clubs for certain types of riders.

Some advanced riders might even feel vulnerable riding at slower speeds on faster roads, owing to possibly hanging around in blind spots etc.

Guess it's may be easier for a motorist to spot a vehicle that is 'making progess' rather than one that is static and lingering around in a lane.

I would have to consider some of the points above when I next do the motorway/dual carriageway A roads.

Update Reply
KarenTwickenham @ 10/08/2011 11:25  

Womens bike clubs !!!

PAH!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/08/2011 18:08  

Nowt wrong with 'em Shadow .

Great to see you've already made contact with BM riders Karen, that's what the site is all about .

And don't take any notice of our Shadow, he loves being a grump but he's a pussy cat really

Update Reply
Blackberry @ 10/08/2011 18:20  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email