MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

l plates on a 600 cc bandit

l plates on a 600 cc bandit  - Forums [Biker Match] l plates on a 600 cc bandit  - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

l plates on a 600 cc bandit

does any 1 no if you can ride a 600cc bike with l plates on if the bike has been restricted to 33 b h p mmmmmm keep geting conflicting info from people dus any 1 no if this can be done

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/08/2011 22:43  

I don't think so as your supposed to pass a test to let you ride with that restriction.

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 05/08/2011 23:03  

think you're right wb. limit on L plates is 125 cc which will be around 12 bhp although you could put L plates on it if you're using it for lessons and riding under the supervision of an instructor.

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 05/08/2011 23:26  

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022568

Clear as mud!

Update Reply
Greg62 @ 05/08/2011 23:28  

on your own after passing CBT you are restricted to 15bhp 125 cc max with L Plates minimum age 17 With a qualified instructor you can ride whatever you like as long as it has L Plates on and the instructor is linked by radios (riding their own bike) and oyu have to be over 21 If you take your test on a direct access machine it has to produce 47 bhp or is not powerful enough to take the DAS test on If you pass your test on a 125 then you can ride whatever you like (no need for L Plates) but cannot produce more than 33 bhp . This restriction lasts for two years from date of test pass. You do not have to ride anything in this 2 year period (although defeats the object). After the 2 years are up - you can ride any power/size motorcycle - even if you passed test at 17, (You can take an accelerated access test if you don't want to wait 2 years - but you HAVE to be over 21 to take Accelerated Acc) If you pass your test on a DAS bike then you are not limited to the size or power of the bike.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/08/2011 14:29  

How about with side car been along time since I passed my testis that option still there ?

Update Reply
JP @ 06/08/2011 14:57  

sadly no - there is no sidecar test - which is strange as you can take your CBT on a 50cc beach buggy (classed as a moped)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/08/2011 15:02  

yep strange but this is the gov we are talking about lol and im showing my age test with sidecar lol

Update Reply
JP @ 06/08/2011 15:06  

although I did like the idea behind the direct access being introduced - was one of the reasons I decided to become an instructor in the 1st place. As at the time there was not much inbetween a 125 and a 600 - not helped by MCN saying bigger is best otherwise you're not a "man" although it seems that the UK is moving away from the big capacity sports bike like it used to be anyway

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/08/2011 15:11  

how about getting in touch with a riding school to see what they say as i'm sure they'd know the script mate

Update Reply
Stroggyman @ 06/08/2011 19:23  

yeh will do that stroggyman thanks for all the comments

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/08/2011 21:13  

@tcat - are you saying that if you take test on 125 33bhp you can only ride that and nothing bigger for 2 years, then after 2 years you can ride a more powerful bike or can you still only ever ride a 125 33bhp unless you do test on a bigger bike? Sorry to be a stereotypical girlie but I was reading about this too a couple of weeks ago when enquiring about CBT prices and couldn't get my head around it either! Thanks
@sweep - good posting!

Update Reply
chickflick75 @ 07/08/2011 00:49  

Chickflick75, All this is a bit after my time as I did my test in 1983, but from what I understand if you take your test on a 125 CC bike at any age you are restricted to 33 Bhp for the first two years and are then open to ride anything. If you are over 21 or under 21 with a full car license you have the option to take a direct access test on a larger bike (usually 500/550 CC). If at the time of the test you are under 21 you are still resticted for two years to 33 Bhp, however if you are over 21 there is no restriction. I stand to be corrected as I'm not 100% sure of this. CBT is a different issue and is something which all new license holders have to take prior to going on the road on any bike. As for sidecars JP, do you remember the days when you could put L Plates on a big bike, put a car on the side and ride it? Like most teenages at the time, I had a sidewinder. They were the days.

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 07/08/2011 03:43  

A sidewinder dam moden fangled things I just wish I still had the watsonian thats not spelt right but you know what I mean lol

Update Reply
JP @ 07/08/2011 06:18  

you mean a people carrier for bikes; lol

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 07/08/2011 09:20  

could be but you could probley buy a people carrier with the money there worth now

Update Reply
JP @ 07/08/2011 09:26  

chickflick, as far as I understand it (but again I'm as confuddled as you ) if you pass your test on a 125 (33bhp) you can ride a bigger bike but it has to be restricted to 33bhp for the 2 years then it's unrestricted, there's kits that get fitted to your bike to do that. That's kind of the way I'm looking to go at the moment
BUT I may try the direct access and then be unrestricted....but of course that's in the future, still got to get more practice in

Update Reply
HippyRockChick @ 07/08/2011 09:29  

The 125cc bike mustn't exceed 14.6bhp or 11kw which is why more powerful 2strokes like the RS125 have to be restricted to make them learner legal. You can't pass your A2 test on a 125 that makes 33bhp, if such a bike exists. The restrictions are on CC as well as power output measured in BHP and KW. It is complicated but tcat's post is spot on from my understanding of things.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 07/08/2011 11:19  

Thanks guys - I did the CBT 10 years ago and had a 125 but was quite content maybe I'm just getting greedy and impatient now!! at least I'm a little bit clearer of the options.

@HRC well done with your riding - go girl!

Update Reply
chickflick75 @ 07/08/2011 14:21  

just going off on a slight tangent, my son, who was 19 at the time had (well still has) a 600cc restricted Yamaha thundercat, and the insurance was no different for restricted/unrestricted, something I found a bit strange

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/08/2011 16:30  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email