MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Spectacles

Spectacles (4) - Forums [Biker Match] Spectacles (4) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Spectacles

I had my eyes lasered 5 years ago (i was short sighted). They told me at the time that there will always be deterioration over the age of 40, and the effects of the treatment could last forever, or i could need glasses again within a few months. I was 44 at the time, and in the last year i've noticed a change to my near vision, so much that i bought a pair of cheap "off the rack" specs for the odd occasion when i'm at work. I used to hate the misting and messing about putting my glasses on with my helmet, so it was worth it just for that. In case you're wondering,... The treatment IS completely painless, there's just a bit of soreness for a day or so, (and i would do it again).

Update Reply
Weirdoraptor @ 18/09/2011 17:32  

I would have loved to have laser treatment,,but optician said to me it would not correct my vision ??????he did not give me details as to why,,,,but i might look into it again next year !!!!,,,sick of the hassle with specs like you say !!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/09/2011 17:45  

Craig, I don't have any probs with life savers, I can see clear right to edge of lens, I'm -6.3 in both eyes, I wouldn't find the handlebars without my specs.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 18/09/2011 19:37  

harry,,its not just life savers which are the problem,,,ive worn these for 2 weeks to try and get used to them but cant,,,and i was told that the tailormade wide field of vision was that easy to get used to that no-one ever returned them,,,,i,ll prove them wrong in morning !!! They may be great for the majority of people,,,and they look a lot better than bi-focals,,,but they are just not for me...and believe me ,,i wanted them to be ok !!! Back to bi-focals in morning,,,but not the exec type i have now that are the full bottom of lens,,,,might go for just the button type which will leave edge of lens normal ??thats what i'm thinking of at moment anyway,,,,may change when i wake up tomorrow !!!!! why cant my eyes be like my mind,,,21 yrs of age

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/09/2011 19:49  

'Cos when you were 21, you overdid the wan*ing!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/09/2011 11:12  

overdid that long before i reached 21 XK

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/09/2011 12:13  

My eyes have always been like my mind, been blind as a bat since 21.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 19/09/2011 19:45  

whats the art in puting in contact lenzes when you cannot see what you are doing

Update Reply
havfun @ 19/09/2011 21:17  

black eyes

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/09/2011 22:13  

You no need to see glasshopper, use your inner being.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 19/09/2011 23:11  

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/09/2011 23:38  

well,,,been back to specsavers today,,,handed back my wide field of vision varifocals and they tried allways to get me to keep them,,,,in the end i had to be blunt,,,only minor swear words used,,,but they got the message,,and the over reaction of getting security just made them look like ar#e holes !!!! think they want to read thier own policy regarding varifocals and trial period !!!,,,of which i had printed and firmly placed on counter !!!!! outcome is ,,,,2 pairs of bi-focals ordered and a refund of over £120... Should have known better and went to out of town optical units which i have used before without any problems..... All finished now for another 2 years !!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/09/2011 23:28  

so how are they working out Craig

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 23/11/2011 00:30  

I have just had my eyes tested again, and my prescription is changing so fast ... Where as at one point I needed glasses for everything I did and stronger for distance now I only need them for driving and have had 2 prescriptions now this year !

Apparently as you get older you can become long sighted, which if you were short sighted as I was means that your vision will correct itself for a while ... Looks like that's where I am now lol with a distance prescription of 1.25 and 1 which is a drop of .25 in each eye in 6 months ... They told me that surgery would not work for me too Craig :-(

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 24/11/2011 00:25  

I went over to contact lenses after my first crash. After skidding facedown with my glasses twisted I decided that 'glass' glasses were not a good idea. Misting up was dangerous too. Specsavers have lowered the power of my lenses so they are OK for road and reading. They can even supply one strong and one weak lens.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/11/2011 16:59  

I know this topic is old but after reading your comments Craig, re: can't get on with your new varifocals, are you sure it wasn't an incorrect prescription they gave you? I had to take two lots of specs back TWICE to Specsavers and each time they had got my prescription wrong. I won't go there again. I got headaches and blurred vison because my 'script was incorrect.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 13/12/2011 13:03  

Specsavers...ha!

I wear glasses for reading and had the prescription (very mild) made up at Specsavers. Went to pick them up on the said day, tried them on, and thought - bit weird this, visions the same on or off! Turned out the dozy sods hadn't put the prescription bit in the lens!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/12/2011 17:42  

ROFLMHO typical of Specsavers

Update Reply
Sandi @ 13/12/2011 22:18  

Wat a really usefull informative thread! I started to have to use glasses only a couple of years ago and can relate to the issues raised. It has certainly made working as a mechanic so much more dificult, particularly welding or working upside down under a car dash! Thanks all for the feedback. Andy

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 14/12/2011 08:25  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email