MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Spectacles

Spectacles (3) - Forums [Biker Match] Spectacles (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Spectacles

No probs David,,,,i pick them up sept 5th and will let you know what they are like after ive worn them for 2-3 days...i think there were 4 or 5 different varifocals,,,ive opted for the dearest only because the vision range is more suitable as to what I want out of a pair of specs,,,none of which i would have known about if it were not for the kind advice from our fellow BM-ers

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/08/2011 19:03  

optician cant believe i have been out riding bike/driving car without wearing any specs

Thats why you didnt see all those cameras Craig

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 22/08/2011 20:12  

what camera's Shell

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/08/2011 20:45  

Update :- picked specs up this morning and drove home the 6 miles in them (car) and they appear to be ok-ish,,,obviously will need a bit adjusting too following wearing exec bifocals,,,had to take them off to use computer though as too much too soon !!!! I will test them out on bike this wkend and update after that for those who have asked.... The tailor made varifcals with wider vision are a lot more expensive but 1st impressions are they are probably worth it,,,but to add insult to injury they are now £50 cheaper,,,,i should have waited >>>> I'll be using them at work this afternoon for a little while to see what they are like,,,driving forklifts and hgv etc... update next week,,,,craig...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/09/2011 11:28  

"Thats why you didnt see all those cameras Craig"

Or where the road finished and the verge started?

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 05/09/2011 13:43  

"Thats why you didnt see all those cameras Craig" Or where the road finished and the verge started? Or which Landy he was following..............

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 05/09/2011 14:06  

Geoff,,,of course I saw them all,,,,just a bit late thats all LOL Stella,,,a Landy is a Landy,,,,just because a soft top became a standard county,,,newer,,and different colour is nit picking a little i think,,,and i did previously have an ice-cream...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/09/2011 22:51  

Are u sure it was an ice-cream?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/09/2011 15:01  

last update :- Ive had these wide field of vision varifocals for 2 weeks now and to be honest i can not get used to them,,,so off to opticians first thing monday morning to hand them back in and order bi-focals.. it says on the tin that the tailormade varifocal gives you distance,,close,,and reading but found them crap,,,still had to put reading specs on for comp,,,and when out on bike too many blurred bits,,,,,just shows that what works for some people may not work for others !!! So the final outcome is I'm going for the 2 pair of bi-focals,,,at a reduced cost to the varifocal,,,,and i may (not sure yet) get a cheap pair of distance for riding bike from one of these cheaper optical outlets which i have used before,,,and as a emergancy i always carry a pair of cheap pair (£3)of supermarket reading specs on bike for map reading etc.... Thanks for all the input regarding this subject and hope it will help others too that have showed an interest...... Thank You,,,,craig

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/09/2011 14:04  

tbh Craig - the specs that Spesh got for using on the bike so's he could see the sat nag (that I mentioned before)- He never bl**dy used em when we were in Spain!! Also, I'd got a pair with button bifocals in, but I couldn't get used to em either so just went for the 2 pair of specs approach. So yep, what works for one dosn't mean it'll work for someone else

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 17/09/2011 16:27  

stella ,,I just wished when i was younger i took notice of my parents,,,they warned me i would go blind,,,lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/09/2011 16:31  

would that have stopped you??????????

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/09/2011 17:11  

of course it would (not) mandy

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/09/2011 17:14  

sorry, i cant read that little writing!!! lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/09/2011 17:30  

tut tut !!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/09/2011 17:36  

Craig -i have varifocals but i wouldnt wear them on the bike....mainly coz i hate squeezing glasses inside the helmet. I have 2 sets of contacts. my normal prescriptionfor distance is L -6.0 R-4.75 thats what i wear on the bike although i couldnt read with them if my life depended on it. I also have a set working on the one eye for close and one for distance. they are L-4.5 R-4.75 i drive the car ok with them but the optician advised that for the bike i always use the correct distance prescription. I suppose its ok if i drive the car half blind at least i wont see when i run anyone over!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 17/09/2011 19:47  

kwakgirl,,,i did think about contacts while out on bike but also need to wear specs for work,,hgv and flt/warehouse,,,the flt bit i need my bifocals as i need to pick orders and operate flt...and as you say i too was told i would still need specs to put on top of contacts for reading,,,so for this year i am just going to put up with new bifocals again...(but might get some single vision distance just for bike,,,and watching tv etc )..ive had nothing but headaches with my new varifocals... As for the lid bit,,,ive altered inside of my shark lid to accept the arms of my specs,,,not recommended but still safe enough till i buy new lid later this year,,,thinking about going back to flip front ... and you are not alone,,,i have been driving car and riding bike half blindand still manage to drop it now and again

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/09/2011 19:58  

i blame my age! just where distance contacts on the bike and hope you dont need to read owt!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 17/09/2011 22:59  

As you say, what works for one person doesn't for another
Maybe it's because I got my varifocals before I learnt to ride a bike so I don't know any different.

Have thought, however, that it might be because of my glasses I found it extremely hard to go round the cones on my CBT (well, I'm going to blame it on them rather than my uselessness ) Took me ages to get that and I think it was because of the angle you have to look down - if that makes sense.

Main thing is that you find what works for you

Update Reply
HippyRockChick @ 18/09/2011 10:13  

HRC,,,i was having trouble with my wide field of vision varifocals when doing life savers,,,blurred vision,,,which is not good and do actually think it could have been the cause for your "cone incident" on cbt,,,,may be worth while getting cheap pair of single vision distance specs for bike ?????....but you have your cbt now which is all that matters,,,untill next test,,,,

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/09/2011 13:29  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email