MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

smell of petrol

smell of petrol  - Forums [Biker Match] smell of petrol  - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

smell of petrol

my bike when ridden and stop accelerating smells of fuel i cannot see any leeks anywhere and have wiped everywhere with kitchen roll to find damp patches but there are not any any ideas help

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/07/2011 18:57  

is seal around fuel cap ok ?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/07/2011 19:46  

Check your air filter could be spitting fuel back into the airbox

Update Reply
JP @ 29/07/2011 21:51  

Check your carb floats, might be stuck and letting too much petrol through. Other than the smell does it run ok.

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 29/07/2011 22:17  

Knackered seal on petcock?

Update Reply
Greg62 @ 29/07/2011 23:30  

checked fuel tank all ok bike runs like a dream exaust is a little sooty but thats all

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/07/2011 00:10  

do the gas test lighted match lol

Update Reply
JP @ 30/07/2011 07:45  

Check for splits / tears in any vacuum / breather hoses. Make / model / year / engine size / Fuel inj or carb info would help for further diagnosis.

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 30/07/2011 09:37  

kwack kle 400 91 --93 the pilot screws seem a long way out to me i havent touched them but all the others ar well resesed in the housing these almost show outside the casing do they increase the fuel flow or the air i dont know i think its a repair kit and borrow someons brain

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/07/2011 15:36  

ps the exaust is verry sooty might need a chimny sweep its that bad

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/07/2011 15:37  

Confusing as you say it runs fine ?!?!?! If the exhaust is as sooty an black as you say, you are DEFF overfueling !!! The smell is caused by the unburned fuel, Numerous reasons for this - - so bottom line is remove carbs, strip down, clean an reset, not forgetting to inspect the manifold rubbers. Model specific workshop manual would give all relevant info - - ie float hights an base settings for pilot air screws etc. Soz to be vauge .. .. but without them in front of me, its impossible to say. Have you had it long? has it always been like this? has the fuel consumption gto worse latley? has any one played with it lately?

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 01/08/2011 09:01  

not had it long its got worce i think and havent messed with it not shure what to do so left it alone all i done is put a cleaner in the fuel and the mpg got less still runs fine i do get a slugish period whilst getting warm it starts fine runs ok for a while then mid warm up it gets sluggish then when fully warm its brill even picks its draws up with me on it i,m not big clive for nothing and its my waistline thats big

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/08/2011 10:18  

solved the smell of petrol I SOLD THE BIKE AND GOT A BETER ONE

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/08/2011 10:17  

Thats as good a solution as can be found ))

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/08/2011 11:37  

works everytime what have you got now ?

Update Reply
bkr @ 08/08/2011 13:17  

yamaha tdm 850 its a old one but new to me been well looked after so comfy compaired to my old one and the breaks well i nutted the faring the first time i used them and it runs well to

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/08/2011 15:26  

Had one of the first ones of those in the country long ago, good all rounder. In winter check brakes for salt corrosion and rear cush drive bearings for wear, forks could have done with progressive springs. Did 74000 miles in 3years. Think I still have most parts of the ventura back pack system in the loft somewhere.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 08/08/2011 19:42  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email