MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Trips to france In august

Trips to france In august - Forums [Biker Match] Trips to france In august - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Trips to france In august

Hi all ive got myself back into bikeing after a few years out id like to head over to france before the summers out so wanted to hear off anyone who has been before that knows of groups going over or even a good company that organizes trips out and also what the roads are like cheers guys

Update Reply
Pete_GSX-R @ 26/07/2011 07:42  

Check out the events page and you'll find 'Holiday in Brittany' in late September. Mickey Moo has a place out there, so you can pm her about it. We went and stayed with her earlier this month and had a brilliant time.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/07/2011 09:23  

France has great roads,food and wine,its a great place for a biking holiday,I did 2000 miles in my old gsx1100 last time I went and am off to the south west of france in September-at lunchtime the 'les routiers' truckstop cafes are usually very good and not expensive,watch out for speed traps,on the spot fine and bike impounded if you can't pay!

Update Reply
Sprint900 @ 26/07/2011 14:31  

Cheers guys for the advice ill check out the events page in a moment as for the speed traps ill just have to hope to get lucky as i can be allittle throttle happy on a dry fast road cheers though.

Update Reply
Pete_GSX-R @ 26/07/2011 17:47  

I've just got back it's easy to do your own thing with a sat nav keep off the peage unless you have a gold card it's possible to find decent overnite digs for 50 euros Petrol is about the same as UK and food and drink are not cheap either Good Luck

Update Reply
Big Twin @ 26/07/2011 17:50  

Went a couple of times last year - Normandy and the Vosges mountains. It isn't cheap, but some great roads. You can stop in an Ibis type hotel fairly cheaply. Bike security tends to not be a problem. I went with http://www.britishbiketours.co.uk/ . Enjoy the ride

Update Reply
Big Al.. @ 26/07/2011 18:09  

This is something that I really would love to do. Maybe next year

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 26/07/2011 18:12  

Once you get over the fear of the unknown and get over there it's easy the chunnel is a piece of cake sat nav finds local hotels if you have not booked ibis or novotel or premier etc are ok The roads are better than here and the people are nice on the whole especially in Normandy I was on the D-day beaches on Friday which are well worth a visit

Update Reply
Big Twin @ 26/07/2011 20:05  

Ferry crossing cool, French car drivers much more bike savvy and biker friendly, good food, Southern area eg Millau Bridge/Tarn Vally is great. Camping plentyful (look for camping municipal signs) friendly and on a par with uk pricewise (but the nearer to tourist hotspots and the closer you get to the uk they get a litle more costly). Occassionally had a slight issue in the middle of nowhere on a sunday finding a garage open but no real biggie. Am heading out on the 7th but only to blat the motorways (main roads much more fun) to Geneva, Italy and beyond. Have fun

Update Reply
ZZRpilot @ 26/07/2011 20:30  

Sounds like i need to be getting out there pretty soon, cheers for the link big al looks like a good site and has some great reviews on there bit worrying about the old pertol stations ill have to bare that in mind as my TL just loves to drink. Might do northern france on first trip and then when i know the score go further afield thanks

Update Reply
Pete_GSX-R @ 27/07/2011 07:39  

Peter - who runs the tour company is a good guy. so long as you tell him your tank then He'll operate to the shortest range. The Vosges mountains is a very good trip (and only 5 days) and brings out the best in your bike - some say the conditions are better than the Alps. No comment - haven't gone that far down.

Update Reply
Big Al.. @ 27/07/2011 13:35  

just back from 2nd trip this yeat (holland, belgium, germany. austria, slovinia, italy , switzerland, luxenberg and france) formula 1`s, ibis and etap (cheep is , middle. expensive)hotels all gone up a little in price, but 45-75 euros per, peage is about 25-40 euros to cross france one way, fuel on sundays is only a problem lunch time on "local" roads, so fill up saturday, or do your motorway runs on sunday, service stations open 24 hrs/7 days. service station food great. half board(demi pension) normally works out cheeper than just a room. if in doubt, eat the "plate de jour" don`t hesitate, french roads are great. head for the twisty lines on the map.

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 31/07/2011 20:13  

Hi pete, do you like group riding where everything is pre-prepared? Then you'll probably enjoy an organised tour.
If you prefer to be more independent, you may not! :)

There are plenty of biker friendly hotels and campsites if you want to go solo.

Check out the regulations of what you need to take with you (some countries require a first aid kit, hi viz vest, spare bulbs etc). May be worth buying breakdown cover as standard recovery may cost quite a lot. Ensure your insurance covers you for the EU too.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/07/2011 22:41  

I'd look forward to someone trying to organise a BMers group trip with Anticipation

Update Reply
Stroggyman @ 31/07/2011 22:56  

Cheers for the advise sounds like filling up is a game on sundays ive heard a few stories about that and yeah group rideing is what i enjoy theres a trip out on the events page on 24th of september to brittany in france be quite keen to go on that spoke to the lady whos setting it up just need to find some people that are interested, Take a look and post on here if anyone fancies it??

Update Reply
Pete_GSX-R @ 01/08/2011 07:48  

Do the Brittany trip out to Micky Moo's place Pete, you wont be disappointed. . . . there were only four of us when we went (sencond week of July) and we had an amazing time! . . . The roads are almost empty, well surfaced, and fun!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/08/2011 16:06  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email