MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Suzuki 125 intruder starter motor

Suzuki 125 intruder starter motor - Forums [Biker Match] Suzuki 125 intruder starter motor - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Suzuki 125 intruder starter motor

Can anyone give some hints & tips on tracking down a starter motor for my Suzuki vl 125 Intruder? I've now got my head round the fact that it will probably cost me a sizeable fraction of what I paid for the entire bike, but they are very rare and I just can't find one I've tried e-bay. One went recently for £151 (eeeks!) from a bike that was being broken up. I've got an e-bay alert set up. emailed some breakers but no joy so far I'm new to all of this, so any pointers in the right direction....or any tea chests full of bits in a far flung corner of your garage???? I want her running again so much...pleeeesssse

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 22/07/2011 10:13  

Look at the starter it should have a type IE modle number that will identify it then you do a search based on that it will be alot cheaper you should be able get get a new one for less than that (far east market )

Update Reply
JP @ 22/07/2011 10:23  

Minnie try phoning cardiff motorcycles on 02920700700 thay do on for a gn125 for £40 + £5 post it may fit

Update Reply
JP @ 22/07/2011 10:31  

Thanks JP, but apparently the motor for the GN 125 isn't quite the same as the VL 125. I found this post on the suzuki owners forum: So after a little ebaying I found a Suzuki 125 GN/EN starter motor for £35. When it arrived it was clear that the centre piece which goes into the fly wheel was too big. However, if you take the time to grind out the magnets in the middle of the case (1-2mm shaved off all of them) and also grind at least 1mm of thickness off the two bolts holding the case together your old intruder shaft will fit in it like a glove. I dropped it back on the bike, thefirst crank was a little ugly but since that one it has worked first time everytime. A bit dibner'esq I know but saves quite a bit of money. Also there is no-where on the net that mentioned doing this so hopefully anyone with a similar problem will be able to solve it this way. After my masterclassfrom FBJ on the innards of my starter motor the other day I can now visualise what needs doing to adapt a GN motor...but doing it is a different matter Is this a relatively easy task for someone with the gear & skill???

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 22/07/2011 10:45  

The emails are coming in from the parts suppliers....nothing doing. What a bummer

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 22/07/2011 11:16  

the only other thing I found up to now which may be of use www.universal-rotating.co.uk

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/07/2011 11:45  

Thanks tcat. will try them

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 22/07/2011 12:06  

Hi Minnie try Cetral Scooters speak to Chris on 01384 892229 open first thing monday morning, they may be able to help http://www.centralscooters.co.uk/contact_us.php they usually deal with scooters but do have other parts occasionally,good luck Minnie

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/07/2011 14:58  

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_kw=starter&_kw=motor...;_kw=125cc maybe just maybe one of these will work.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/07/2011 15:05  

whats wrong with it have you had it in bits i was quoted stupid prices for one on triumph and told inposible to repair took it to bits found no brushes left got 2 new brushes 30 seconds on grinder perfik fit ( a tener and couple cups coffee was all it cost i think)

Update Reply
havfun @ 22/07/2011 16:49  

Minnie Dont know if your sorted yet but we had some bod repair a starter for a thunderbird once and he was excellent, i'll get his number tomorrow and post it on here ok?

Update Reply
ayjay @ 26/07/2011 19:51  

Think ive found him Chapman 58-60 Trinity StreetSheffieldSouth YorkshireS3 7AJ Tel:work01142724541

Update Reply
ayjay @ 26/07/2011 20:00  

No most definitely not sorted yet ayjay.
A pal had a go at repairing and fixed the magnets back in place but is now pretty sure the rotowiring is knackered. We tried it back on the bike this afternoon & definitely not working. The good news is we (errr well, he ) bumped the bike and started with a bump and we got to have a short but nice ride out & established beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's the starter that's the problem Universal rotating replied to my email & say they possibly can fix if the magnets haven't actually disintegrated, but I have to send it to them in Essex for them to assess if they can do it. At the moment I'm reluctant to spend money on postage....I'm feeling a bit possessive about my starter motor although firebladejohn reckons it's only fit for the bin lol Currently pinning my hopes on a mate who works in the trade. He may be able to help with adapting a starter from a GN125, which I can pick up cheap as chips. And another bm mate has been in touch who has susuki connections, so just got to be patient for a week or so to see if anything comes from these two possibles Thanks for your interest and tips folks, it means a right lot to me xxx

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 26/07/2011 20:10  

Thanks for the contact details ayjay. I'll ring tomorrow Forgot to add, been quoted £384+ VAT for a new one!!! That is so taking the mickey ....but I have accepted now that this is going to cost me megabucks whatever

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 26/07/2011 20:25  

Champan's sorted one for me ,think it was only 45 quid, where a new one was gonna cost 375 ish , worth a try eh? good luck.

Update Reply
ayjay @ 26/07/2011 21:50  

No joy with getting the starter motor for my suzuki vl 125 repaired. Chapmans in Sheffield have tried their best but starter is deffo no go. put a search on bike spare finder and findapart over a week ago and not a dickybird Any other leads gratefully followed Getting desperate now

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 03/08/2011 13:08  

Lecky band any good?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/08/2011 17:38  

How about tethering you to it with a harness xk, and lashing you with a whip till it fires up??....no, on second thoughts you'd like that too much!
Eeeww... was experiencing quite enough bike-related upset without traumatising myself with that thought

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 03/08/2011 22:27  

Minnie, did Chapmans say what the problem was with your motor? If it just needs rewinding, it might be worth checking yellow pages or local electrical engineers?

Update Reply
Greg62 @ 03/08/2011 22:37  

yes, he did say Greg but I can't remember what he said lol....but it's terminal. He's spent several hours on it and tried 3 times to get it going but was unsuccessful I've put a search on partfinder today & will give it a few days to see if this comes up with a second hand one, but even if that comes up trumps I'll get charged silly money and it could burn out again in a couple of months, so I don't think I've got any choice really than to cough up for a new one if I want to ride my bike this side of xmas

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 03/08/2011 23:30  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email