MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Clothing on motorcycle test

Clothing on motorcycle test (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Clothing on motorcycle test (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Clothing on motorcycle test

Whilst every biker accepts there are risks associated to riding I personally feel it better to reduce that risk via education and training and also by wearing protective gear. Unfortunately my son was involved in an accident when on a 'B' road a car driver cut the corner my son was about to take. My son made the quick decision of either hitting the car (which had kids in) on take evasive action. He chose the latter and ended up putting him and bike in a ditch before being catapulted 30 foot into a field but not before hitting a large branch of a tree. Both police biker and paramedics on the scene stated that he was lucky to be alive and this was down to the fact that he was wearing full leathers / boots with protection but also the addition of chest and back protector.

Update Reply
gixergal @ 25/06/2011 22:59  

leather slides on the roads ....... slid till u stop
kavlar hold on to the road .......sky ...ground .....shy ...ground .....sky ......ground

Update Reply
kaycat @ 26/06/2011 08:56  

better than the guy who went past me at over 80mph this afternoon Kay ...I know it was a hot day,but... on the M67 on way back from Rivvi, trainers, shorts & T-shirt on ... there was me full leathers & he blats past giving me a thumbs up

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 26/06/2011 19:55  

shell that sould be band i sore a girls ankels (well no ankel ) after riding with traners on
it realy get to me that still terns my stumek when i see peeps with the rong gear on to ride

Update Reply
kaycat @ 27/06/2011 09:34  

Yup, I have seen the results of accidents where clothing HAS been worn & its not nice,

I have to admit the thumbs up he gave me as he went passed made me come out with a few 'choice' words about his riding attire

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 27/06/2011 10:52  

Why do you think he was giving you the thumbs up Shell?

Update Reply
Roachy @ 27/06/2011 17:27  

Cos he couldn't hear what I was calling him

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 27/06/2011 17:35  

Bet he was nice and cool though. Unlike me who has slowly cooked from the inside out for the past 2 days.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 27/06/2011 17:42  

better to be cooked Roachy than skinned i ve been on mine this wkend and today to work and even though i felt like a boil in a bag its better than the alternative..

i saw a guy this afternoon fully kitted out with a kid on the bike(around 10yrs) with a denim jkt and jeans on, trainers and no frackin gloves, do that not think???

Update Reply
angie333 @ 27/06/2011 18:21  

I agree angie, if am getting too hot ... go faster lol

as for the kid ... yup see it all the time living where we do (insert a Victor Meldrew smiley with 'I dont believe it'

My kids are the most precious things to me, & even tho they are saving for their bikes but have not yet got them they both have full kits, one leathers & the other textiles, they never pillied as little ones but would have been kitted out if they had

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 27/06/2011 18:34  

I agree as well but I still bet he was nice and cool.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 27/06/2011 19:31  

ive got 2 views on this. if you buy a bike you should buy the right clothes to use it. if people dont it should be made law. just like crash helmets. on the other hand this is just another thing eating away at our freedom. this country is going to hell. im not much bothered about most things but im very patriotic. we've got to watch what we say otherwise someone starts shouting racist or rants on about discrimination. the country's bankrupt yet the powers that be keep letting in anyone, illegal or not, half of them criminals pulling the country further down the pan. i could go on and on - - -

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/06/2011 02:16  

If you go riding in Italy you will see plenty of Italians in sandals, shorts and no gloves. Nobody has to ride a bike after all. The UK law specifies crash helmets, but nothing else so far as I am aware. Test centres should have no right to refuse anyone conforming to the law. Anything else, such as busafeller's initial rant about 'proper clothing' (whatever he thinks that is) is really just personal opinion.

Update Reply
Dex @ 08/08/2011 15:50  

http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/stories/dsa-news-20110616

No mention of hi-vis jackets?

Update Reply
Greg62 @ 08/08/2011 17:44  

i think this is the thin end of the wedge. start by saying protective clothing, then certain standard, then specific brand - probably made by a company co-owned by the minister of transport! it should be personal choice - how dare someone else dictate what i wear when i pursue my chosen hobby. what next, stop charity runners in the london marathon wearing fancy dress as the heavy costume causes dehydration and collapse??!! before we know it they will be suggesting day glo vests..............

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/08/2011 18:31  

it should be personal choice - how dare someone else dictate

Wasn't that the same argument that was used for 1st having to wear a seatbelt in the front of a car ... then having to wear one in the back ... or having kids strapped in to cars .....

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 10/08/2011 18:56  

i wasnt aware it was an argument, but can hardly compare ones choice of clothing to a piece of safety equipment!
in any event, i am grown up and able to take pros and cons into account and come to my own decisions, without the need for big brother or nanny to force their opinions on me!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/08/2011 19:09  

Well IMO armour is a piece or pieces of safety equipment ... its designed to prevent injury or death. Just as a safety harness for a tree surgeon ... or the armour that American footballers wear ?

and (again IMO) we should be doing all we can to promote safety to those who are about to take on what can be a very dangerous hobby, I would hate to get a call to say one of my sons had lost a leg riding his bike cos he had come off with just shorts on

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 10/08/2011 19:25  

i would hope my offspring were both intelligent and well informed enough to come to the correct decision all on their very own without having the state of nanny enforce it. tree surgeon is a profession ergo different legislation would apply vis-a-vis H & S - i would imagine some rock climbers choose to do so sans harness - should they all be followed to ensure they use safety harnesses at all times?? just out of interest, is american football more physical a game than rugby union,in which very little boy armour i used

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/08/2011 20:14  

This part of the DSA statement as taken from their web site. Tests won’t go ahead if you are inappropriately dressed From 1 July, examiners might tell you that your test won’t go ahead if you arrive inappropriately dressed. However, where possible, examiners will give you the chance to find suitable clothing within the time available. DSA won’t pay out-of-pocket expenses if your test is cancelled because of inappropriate clothing. Guide to suitable clothing As a general guide the following is an indication of the minimum level of clothing acceptable: motorcycle boots sturdy footwear or boots that provide support and ankle protection textile or leather motorcycle trousers heavy denim trousers heavy denim jacket with several layers underneath textile or leather motorcycle jacket motorcycle gloves The following are examples of clothing that are not acceptable: lightweight training shoes canvas basket ball trainers any form of clothing with areas of exposed skin shell suit or lightweight tracksuit distressed ripped jeans lightweight fleece or hoody no gloves or skiing gloves In all cases it’s a legal requirement that riders wear an approved and correctly fastened motorcycle helmet,* with suitable eye protection (*an exception is made for members of the Sikh religion wearing a turban). Cases of inappropriate clothing Recently there have been cases where candidates have arrived unsuitably dressed for the practical test. This has included wearing lightweight nylon shell suits, lightweight canvas training shoes, or wearing no gloves. One of these cases resulted in the test not going ahead. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- It appears to be a grey area and left to the individual DSA examiner. My comment would be:- " IF YOU WANT A LICENCE ITS BEST TO CONFORM" What you do after that is up to you. However consideration should be given to the poor buggers who have to clean up the mess and stick you back together. I wouldn't want that job.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 10/08/2011 20:37  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email