MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Do you think it's worth the money doing up a 125cc

Do you think it's worth the money doing up a 125cc - Forums [Biker Match] Do you think it's worth the money doing up a 125cc - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Do you think it's worth the money doing up a 125cc

I have had my Kymco Zing 125cc for about a year now. Seeing as I am in no rush to move up to another bike I decided to have her done up. I'm only asking because some people say it is a waste of money especially as the bike is nearly 12 now. So far I have spent £557, oxford hot grips for winter ( I feel the cold easily) don't like stiff hands it doesn't help. New paint job. New indicators. New mirrors with built in blind spot (still doing my life savers) always will. New dampers for my mirrors. She has been stripped down main frame cleaned & painted. Also the exhaust (inner) painted. So is it a waste or just pride in my machine ?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/06/2011 12:11  

Well you won't get your money back if you sell but you have pride in your bike. Any Harley rider will tell you its not about the money

Update Reply
JP @ 22/06/2011 12:27  

If you want to keep bike for some time to come,you've done the right thing in my opinion,peace of mind when you take it out,that it is how you want it to be

Update Reply
bkr @ 22/06/2011 12:29  

Just pride hon & if your going to keep it then why not have it has you want it to be

Nothing wrong with that IMO

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 22/06/2011 12:49  

I like these bikers on here, such nice people and i havent had the mick taken out of me yet,bonus
Will somebody please tell me what IMO means before my heads explodes.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/06/2011 13:11  

IMO means 'in my opinion'

Update Reply
Blackberry @ 22/06/2011 13:20  

i am so out of touch with bikes, i have never heard of your bike. if its in good nick after 12 years and still going strong, always better the devil you know if you ask me.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/06/2011 13:30  

Thank's bb why couldn't my stupid brain work that out.
DumfriesDik Kymco teamed up with Honda roughly 12 years ago. The bikes are made by Kwang Yang Motor Co, Ltd but they have reliable Honda engines. Before anyone suggest that chinese bikes fall apart mine is a testament to the fact that they don't. I bought it 2nd hand but it's a fab bike and I love her. The scooter was just as good and still going strong,also 2nd hand and nearly 11 years old. I do believe the older ones last longer

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/06/2011 13:47  

Even the bikes I've done up to sell I've ended up spending too much cash or time on to be worthwhile. I'd rather lose money on a good job than churn out tat! Def. not about the dollar if it's your own bike.

For going on long trips I'd always rather take an old bike that I knew well than a brand new unknown (especially as new bikes all have a magical box of mystery that angers me because I have no ideahow it works!).

Don't listen to people that tell you you're polishing a turd!

Update Reply
Half Baked Henry @ 22/06/2011 16:08  

If you trade your bike in for another one you take a gamble. you could buy what looks like a good bike but then six months later it lets you down and costs a fortune to repair if you spend a lot of money on an old bike you wont get your money back if you sell it. But if you're keeping it you know the parts you've replaced will last. so you'll get your money back in usage.

Update Reply
Vladamir @ 22/06/2011 17:02  

It seems to me you have kind of made your mind up but not realised it. If the princely sum of £557 includes all the jobs you have had done then you have had a little bargain there. As you have stated your in no rush to move up to a bigger bike. Having that work done gives you the piece of mind that there are not nasty surprises waiting for you in the frame. You know all the bolts will come out easily. Finlay there is absolutely nothing stopping you from doing your big bike test. once you have done that you can get shut of the l plates and take your time looking for a bigger bike. no matter what anyone else says, if you do come to sell the bike you are more likely get the higher asking price as the bike will look mint.

Update Reply
Phil @ 22/06/2011 17:30  

Hmm ... tricky question.

I'd say that if doing all the work has made you happy, then you've probably done the right thing.

If it was me however I'd have felt that the money would have been £557 towards a bigger bike!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 22/06/2011 19:37  

So the general feeling of all is money well spent,cool.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/06/2011 20:20  

It's your bike, your money and your life. If you're happy then it's money well spent ;)

Update Reply
Say_Ten @ 22/06/2011 20:37  

Good on ya. Your bike, your business, your money = your happiness.

I'm stressing at paying £485 for some Givi hard luggage for mine and you've got a whole "mint" bike, for not much more.

Not bought any yet though

Update Reply
clarkee @ 24/06/2011 20:28  

Doesn't anybody else feel guilty with large expenditures ?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/06/2011 21:20  

No, not in the slightest, I bought my Triple new in Oct གྷ and have changed items from levers to brakes lines to get it how I want it. Some of the changes have been cosmetic others for performance.

Update Reply
triple1 @ 24/06/2011 21:40  

if you like the bike and it is doing what you want it to do why not lets face it these big sports bikes would cost that much for a set of brake pads and a decent chain and sprocket kit so your 500 0d quid seems ok to me you ask any biker how much they spend in bike maintainance every year

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/07/2011 15:52  

this year i have spent over 300 on just a chain and sprocket kit a new set of indicators a service kit and the mot and the bike is still taty but its my bike all paid for no hp for thousands and interest

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/07/2011 15:55  

justme101 Doesn't anybody else feel guilty with large expenditures ? The answer is no, certainly not! Before I passed the basic test 2 yrs ago, I could easily bump my 125 over the pavement kerb, through the front gate and to the rear garden for security. But it would have been a near on impossibility to do that with my ZX6R! So I ‘had’ to re-do both gardens with patio slabs and concrete costing over £1600, plus running costs of the bike i.e., clothing, repairs, servicing etc, all in the first year, another grand (excl bike!). IMHO if you’re happy with your bike and you’ve no real call to move up to another one, it doesn’t matter what you spend on it, as its still by far cheaper offset against car tax and fuel etc. Enjoy your bike.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/07/2011 20:01  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email