MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Motorcycle ‘Ride to Work Day’ 20th June 2011

Motorcycle ‘Ride to Work Day’ 20th June 2011 - Forums [Biker Match] Motorcycle ‘Ride to Work Day’ 20th June 2011 - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Motorcycle ‘Ride to Work Day’ 20th June 2011

'Ride to Work' Day - 20th June 2011 Each year, the motorcycle industry celebrates the benefits of motorcycling by organising 'Ride to Work' Day as a way of getting the message across that motorcycles are the best form of private powered transport for the daily commute. The day is an occasion when people unite to promote motorcycling, mopeds and scooters by getting active and vocal by holding events, speaking to the press, converting friends or just getting out on their bike. I know most members of BM will already ride to work but it's not just members that read these posts. http://ridetoworkday.co.uk/

Update Reply
Sandi @ 18/06/2011 06:27  

If you’re in the South West on Monday 20 June why not stop by one of the Ride To Work Day Events? Fowlers Motorcycles in Bristol, are joining in National Ride to Work Day by offering a free sandwich and hot drink* to any motorcycle or scooter riders plus their pillion passengers who turn up on a bike at their dealership between 7.30am and 3.00pm that day. These riders will also be eligible for a free entry to a prize draw to win a Weise Matrix jacket worth £159.99*. As an added bonus, any aspiring motorbike riders who book their CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) on the 20th June are being offered a discount of £50* by Ace Motorcycle Training. *Terms & conditions apply If you’re in Devon, turn up at Torbay Motorcyles and show your crash helmet to receive a FREE Official MotoGP Patch (rrp £6.99) or Official MotoGP Track Day Flag (rrp £5.99)!! If you’re in the market for a new bike buy one on Ride to Work Day from Torbay Motorcycles and receive a FREE crash helmet! Dave Death Motorcycles on the Isle of Wight is opening early from 8am on Ride To Work Day with FREE Tea, Coffee and biscuits for all those that stop there on their ride to work! There are loads of events taking place, follow the link to find out what's happening in other areas. http://ridetoworkday.co.uk/events/

Update Reply
Sandi @ 18/06/2011 06:39  

From a professional point of view, I do personally believe that motorcycles and mopeds (or powered two wheelers to give them their official transport engineering term) are part of the answer to the congestion issues in this country.

For distances of between five and around thirty miles, they are the perfect answer in my opinion to the daily commute (less than five miles is cycle/walk territory and many would be put off by the thought of riding over thirty miles, twice a day, in all weathers). And especially if that commute involves riding through a busy town or city. And yet most people in this country have a commute of this distance and go by car, even if they have a bike in the garage.

I for one use my bike for most business trips. Be this the daily commute, site visits, meetings and even the 400+ mile round trip to the head office that is required a few times a year. However, I am aware that many would prefer the car for those longer trips or would rather turn up to meetings in a suit and I can understand perfectly why.

But if we are able to convince our biking colleagues to use the bike a couple of times a week, congestion could quickly become a bitter memory. Plus the more bikes on the road during rush hour, then the more likely that car drivers will learn to look out for us, which in turn should help our accident statistics, drive down insurance premiums and making biking a much safer means of transport.

And we can do this by making sure that we all start using OUR bikes more often for work. So get out there on the 20th for Bike to Work Day and why not try it on the 21st as well and the 22nd, the 23rd ....

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 18/06/2011 15:43  

Don't forget today peeps!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 20/06/2011 07:18  

so come on who did it ?????????????

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 20/06/2011 09:46  

I was going to esp as the M62 is closed but I've got no fuel and didn't fancy the chaos trying to get to the local petrol station so I've stayed at home and logged on from here. No congestion!

Update Reply
Roachy @ 20/06/2011 09:53  

i like your style Roachy lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 20/06/2011 09:58  

I thought about it, but couldnt find a way to fit my 27ft extending ladder, 16ft cat ladder, 20ft aerial mast, and all my tools on the bike, so I had to use the van again.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/06/2011 10:10  

Geta trailer Slidy ( only joking ......)

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 20/06/2011 10:15  

or a ruck sack lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 20/06/2011 11:30  

Ive come to work on my bike today

Update Reply
kfoggy67 @ 20/06/2011 13:10  

I work 15 minutes walk from home and usually walk to work. Today, to support Ride to Work Day, I went by bike just to show solidarity. It did, at least give me an opportunity to do a bit of shopping so it did serve a practical purpose.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 20/06/2011 18:33  

Cat any excuse to don the leathers i know lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 20/06/2011 20:28  

It must be a rare thing but its faster for me in the car because I dont do M/ways on the bike it squares off the tyres aswell as being dull and then the country roads call to me lol, one perk of working in Yorkshire and living in Lancashire ! I try to use the bike on Fridays as its early finish afternoon play time

Update Reply
Bobsarny @ 08/07/2011 20:10  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email