MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Leading Insurance says 'No Pillions'

Leading Insurance says 'No Pillions' (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Leading Insurance says 'No Pillions' (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Leading Insurance says 'No Pillions'

I'm with Carol Nash.....great service and you are right about free breakdown cover.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/06/2011 05:46  

I'm with Nash too. Free breakdown cover is not really free though is it? The cost of the insurance includes 'free' breakdown, so it is in reality, added onto the basic insurance cost. One of the reasons I went with Nash was my bike is more than 11 years old and I found it difficult to get a seperate EU breakdown policy for that very reason. Others wouldn't take into consideration the bike is looked after and has only done 20000 miles! No quibbles with Nash about the age of the bike.

Update Reply
Rattay @ 08/06/2011 10:36  

Rattay, you are quite right...no breakdown cover is 'free' but what attracted me to Nash was the competitive quote they gave me for a multi bike policy. I pay £178 for a bmw k1200rs and silverwing scoot fully comp...add in the 'free' breakdown and I think its very good.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/06/2011 10:45  

This made interesting reading. I used to ride pillion and it wasn't until after about 5 months of doing so the rider told me that "oh by the way your not insured as pillion" I was horrified. When I chatted to some other bikers most just thought that their insurance automatically covered them to carry a pillion and were shocked when they checked and found it didn't. I often wonder now when I see a person riding pillion how many of them are actually insured on the riders policy. Its not like you think to say to a rider before getting on their bike as a pillion are you insured to take pillions. Just a thought but maybe all those offering to take a pilly on the BM pilly ride out day should check their policies.

Update Reply
Cruiser gal @ 09/06/2011 07:26  

I don't quite understand the pillion thing. I'd have thought a pillion has the right to claim as a 3rd party against the rider, like car passengers can. Are insurance companies saying your whole insurance will be void if you carry a pillion when *not insured* to do so?

Update Reply
Roachy @ 09/06/2011 07:37  

The law states that you are entitled to carry passengers when you pass your test.So if insurance companies refuse to insure you if you carry people,then are thay saying thay are the law??????.Breach of civil rights and must be condemned.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/06/2011 10:41  

I'm insured to carry a pillion...it says so on my policy

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/06/2011 13:09  

I guess that unfortunately an insurance company can impose any restrictions they desire & it's up to us whether we accept the terms & purchase their product i.e. their policies. Seems rather odd that they can force us to use a bike for less than it's designed purpose when as carss66 points out there is no legal restriction? I'd say that the most important part is that this doesn't become a standard for bike insurance. I know 'rider only' policies have been available for years now (always thought it was dumb myself!), but usually taken by people who voluntarily don't take pillions in return for a reduced premium. I feel there is a danger that we are heading towards this being the standard & we will soon have to pay extra in order to carry pillions. That is plainly wrong & cannot be allowed to happen. Quite apart from anything else, it is an increase in premium prices on the quiet. You should only compare like for like qoutes & if one year it includes pillion cover & the next year it doesn't, we are accepting less cover for the same price - or more than likely with an annual increase regardless!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/06/2011 11:07  

Of course there area number of insurance companies that just want out of the bike market ........ stuff like this is a way of the marketplace deciding for them, that way they cant get blamed by their share holders.

I've been asked whether I am going to carry a pillion for the last 4-5 years, not a problem, I always say yes.

If they refuse to quote, go elsewhere. Aviva aren't the cheapest by a long way anyway, their normal quotes are designed so that you wont accept anyway.

MCN .... they love to come out with sensationalist stuff all the time, it sells newspapers, most of it is a load of crap

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/06/2011 11:32  

i have bought a brand new hayabusa and aviva have insured me for carrying pillions. perhaps its because i am 57 years old? Signed MAD TEL

Update Reply
a_touch_of_heat @ 12/06/2011 18:37  

Hi, I am entering onto this one a bit late. Maybe other things should be taken into consideration regarding the carrying of pillion passengers. On the current DSA test, the only thing they test you on regarding carrying a pillion passenger is:- What adjustments should you make to your motorcycle. What instructions should you give to the passenger. You are expected to complete the off road manouvers and the on road test. All solo. On a direct access test you might only have had a couple of days on the bike. You passed, brilliant. Then you get yourself the biggest most powerfull bike you can afford. Stick your girl friend, or a mate on the back and go like the clappers to impress them. More often than not everything is OK and there is no harm done, but I know of a number of people where it didn't work out that way. Maybe there should be a part of the test where you can prove some abilty of control with a pillion rider on the back. I realise this can only apply to new riders. Put the DSA examiner on the back and take them through the module one circuit. That will brighten the day for someone, probably not the DSA guy. I don't see the problem with sports bikes in isolation. Your pillion rider can get badly hurt on the back of 50cc. Sod it change your insurance company.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 22/07/2011 21:53  

Sorry I missed the final bit. Surely they must take into account the period of no claims. If someone has been riding for a few years, it's odd on that they have carried a pillion rider. No claims, no convictions,therefore there should be no restrictions.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 22/07/2011 22:05  

why do they call it fully comprehencive then if your full comp it should cover everything no exclusions its just another rip off

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/07/2011 22:06  

It would be interesting to see an insurance comp being look at by trading standards but thats never going to happen

Update Reply
JP @ 22/07/2011 22:15  

Does anyone know if the law states that a pillion has to be insured? Or of any cases that have gone to court regarding pillion not being insured in an accident. I thought the law stated when you passed the big test your licence allowed you to carry a passenger don't remember the bit if your insured to?(I may be wrong here) I bet if you didn't have it on your original policy and wanted to add it they'd charge you for making the ammendment aswell as the extra on the premium too. All sounds a con to me insurance companies bleeding more money from us what next pannier insurance and rucksack cover required...

Update Reply
Rooster roo @ 23/07/2011 00:15  

Thet already try to scank you for additional cover helmet and leathers. I am not sure, but I think that if anything is not part of the original bike, they will try to wriggle out of cover it. That may apply panniers.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 23/07/2011 00:41  

Im sure you dont need ins to carry a passenger all it means is is you if have an off thay could sue you for lost earnings and injurys or the famiely could sue in the worst case and if you dont have ins your stuffed. But it makes no diferance we can moan all we like it will never change thay say how much we pay thay say its gone up due to there losses we are being over charged becuse thay sell accident lists to make money then get sued by no win no fee solicitors.

Update Reply
JP @ 23/07/2011 06:56  

Something needs to be done about the no win no fee solicitors. There are too many fraudulent claims going in, which is increasing our premiums. They encourage clients to increase the costs by sending them to top private doctors to approve the claims. A woman I know put in a claim for some minor incident on a bus. She was sent to Harley Street to see a top bod. Then they added to the bill a number of therapy treatments, that did not take place and so on. The claim was for around 10K. She ended up with 5K. This was claimed against the car driver who made the bus stop too quick. There was nothing wrong with her. It pisses me off and I told her so. If its genuine fine.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 23/07/2011 08:33  

Friend of mine bumped a car at the lights her fault 2 in the car NO damage to there car small crack to a plastic grill on my mates car now there is a claim for 7+ driver in the other car all live at the same addresse and he had 14 days off work due to injures recived in the impact but he didnt seak any treatment for 2 weeks his wife didnt seak any for 23 days and I nearly forgot 7 in the car + driver its a 5 seater hatchback ? and yes her ins say its a fraudulent claim but thay will have to pay as it cost to much to fight it

Update Reply
JP @ 23/07/2011 09:06  

Question!!! If insurance companies wont insure pillions, or will insure at more cost, why when i had a single seater rat did they put my premium up and only a very few would even offer insurance on a single seater??? Its all a load of Bo**ocks to me, just excuses to charge more!!!!!!

Update Reply
wenders @ 24/07/2011 13:13  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email