MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Cleaning your helmet - how do you do yours?

Cleaning your helmet - how do you do yours?  - Forums [Biker Match] Cleaning your helmet - how do you do yours?  - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Cleaning your helmet - how do you do yours?

As the subject states really. Do you do it, inside and out and how? Any tips or dos and don'ts? Edited to add - this is a serious question!!

Update Reply
Roachy @ 30/05/2011 17:03  

I cant belive your asking such a personal qustion

Update Reply
JP @ 30/05/2011 17:05  

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! PMSL @ JP! nice one! xx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/05/2011 17:06  

Come on JP...do tell all.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 30/05/2011 17:07  

Boss Mom does mine for me with warm soapy water and rubbing vigorously to get the dead flies off

Update Reply
JP @ 30/05/2011 17:10  

Sounds like it could be painful! I hope she soaks it first to soften things. What about the inside though, I'm more interested in how we all attend to the insides or are they neglected....

Update Reply
Roachy @ 30/05/2011 17:14  

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 30/05/2011 17:14  

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE THIS IS ACE!! started off in a miserable mood now i cant stop laughing!!.... for the record i clean the outside of mine with WD40!! stopps bugs guts sticking to it!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/05/2011 17:17  

My point exactly MM I used to clean mine, now I leave it dirty. It helps with the short term memory loss!!!

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 30/05/2011 17:21  

i dont clean the inside... it dont realy need it as dont wear make up on face etc if did i think you can detach and put in washin machine... the bugs on outside i just do with kitchen roll and cold water... all comes off no problem at all and takes no time at all either.... if badly engrained on put kitchenroll over whole front and leave there for a bit... or get the amazing V sponge... i had one freebee ages ago an its amazing at cleaning... cheapest option tho... simples cold water and kitchen paper.....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/05/2011 17:22  

Wet wipes are also supposed to be very good (serious none seeking attention answer)

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 30/05/2011 17:24  

Dont clean the inside of mine if its gets a bit whiffy a liberal spraying with oust helps MM never thought of that will try it after the next wash

Update Reply
JP @ 30/05/2011 17:25  

I never heard of that MM...is that just the helmet, you wouldn't put that on the visor...would you? Everyday wise our helmets just get the usual wipe over with wet kitchen towel but once or twice a year they're dismantled and given a good cleaning, inside and out in a bath of baby shampoo. That should say a weak solution of warm water and baby shampoo before someone tries filling their bath with just baby shampoo! It's amazing (read disgusting) the amount of crap that gets flushed out the vents and the muck that comes out of the linings. The helmet feels so much nicer when it's been done too, seems to fit tighter again.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 30/05/2011 17:29  

On a similar topic. When I take off my lid, I always put my gloves and necktube inside it. Then someone suggested to me that this was unhygeintic because my gloves and necktude probably contained all sorts of bugs etc and I was then going to put my lid back on. It made me think about it I can tell you

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 30/05/2011 17:34  

Mine is a caberg matt black and gets all fingerprinty so mild soapy water is good for that, the inside I use an antisceptic wipe now and again (can't stop thinking about jps helment - put the thought away katie) The visor, have a wee look at the thread I put on about anti mist sticks - got brilliant tips from folk, best has been lemon juice mixed with washing up liquid or Auto glym. Clean helmets of world unit (and crashers )

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 30/05/2011 17:36  

That's a good point BL. I once hung my helmet from my mirror and my instructor went potty at me for the same reason. He used to say (and good for if the ground is a bit dodgy) put your gloves down with the palms up and sit your helmet on top. I admit though, I often just stuff them into my helmet...can't be any worse than those who wear open faced helmets though and aren't bugs meant to be full of protein!

Update Reply
Roachy @ 30/05/2011 17:39  

i out the whole thing in the washing machine, rattles like hell but hey ho on a serious note i use "ECLAT" "STARDUST", its what alot of dealers used to polish plastics on bikes before they go out, but i find its great on helmets too "stings a bit ", but it tends to make rain just run off your visor etc alot easier, highly recommended

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/05/2011 17:40  

Do you guys who never clean inside your helmets never wash your head or hair lol? Surely never cleaning inside your helmet is just as bad?

All the muck and bacteria on your head gets transferred to your helmet lining and as Roachy has said it's pretty gross seeing how much grime comes out of the linings.

But there is a safety reason for cleaning inside. Everyone knows that over time the polystyrene linings of a helmet will turn brittle and this is one of the reasons why helmets have a "life". And it is sweat, grime and bacteria from your head that is a big causation factor in this.

As such, regular cleaning of your linings ensures your helmet remains safe throughout it's recommended life.

Admittedly, it was an unfair example as this lady's helmet was well over ten years of age, but I've seen the result of brittle polystyrene literally snapping on impact. This caused her helmet to collapse around her head after getting knocked off her bike. In fact the entire front simply sheared off and she slid thirty feet on her face. It wasn't nice.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 30/05/2011 18:22  

I guess this was linked to what I was also told....makes you think, well it did me.

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 30/05/2011 18:23  

I use a helmet sanitzer spray for the inside, spray it on and it foams up lifting crud out then wipe around with a couple of clean towels. As Roachy said it seems to bring the snugness of fit back.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 30/05/2011 19:52  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email