MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Motorcyclists charged over crash deaths of couple

Motorcyclists charged over crash deaths of couple - Forums [Biker Match] Motorcyclists charged over crash deaths of couple - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Motorcyclists charged over crash deaths of couple

Does anyone have more info on this story and what the situation was?? ================================ Five men have been charged with causing the deaths of a couple in a motorcycle crash in North Yorkshire. Dean and Helen Slater, from Thornton, Bradford, died when their motorbike and a car collided on the A162 between Tadcaster and Sherburn in Elmet. The men, from the Bradford area, have been charged with causing deaths by dangerous driving. North Yorkshire Police said all five men had been riding motorcycles at the time of the crash on 25 August. Four of men, aged 26, 28, 29 and 31, have each been charged with two counts of causing death by dangerous driving. A 36-year-old man has been charged with two counts of causing death by dangerous driving and two counts of causing death by dangerous driving while uninsured. Police said they were due to appear at Selby Magistrates' Court on 31 March. Mr and Mrs Slater, originally from Morley, Leeds, were travelling in a group of six motorcycles when the crash happened. Mr Slater, 40, and Mrs Slater, 37, who was the pillion passenger, were thrown from their bike and died instantly.

Update Reply
Matt @ 15/03/2011 16:50  

My son said somthing about it all I know is if your with someone and thay have a bad one you can be held to acount aswell Its on the bradford tellygraph and argus site but cant snip un stick

Update Reply
JP @ 15/03/2011 16:55  

I don't really know any more than whats already been said.
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/8488679.Arrests_made_fo...collision/ http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/8356754.Cott...niversary/

Update Reply
Karey @ 15/03/2011 17:07  

I was reading all the articles about it last night.

It was reported that the police investigated the accident for 2 months before people were arrested in November, & they have only just been charged now.

It was stated that witnesses claimed that they had to take evasive action to avoid being hit by the convoy of riders.

If that is the case & they were riding irresponsibly or dangerously as a group then yes they will be charged as a group, so sad tho that it has lead to a couples death

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 15/03/2011 17:20  

it's sad that a couple died in the group... but what's worrying is that you can be held responsible for someone else who crashes. Everyone should ride to their own ability... it's the golden rule of riding in a group!!

Update Reply
Matt @ 15/03/2011 18:02  

I agree Matt ... but from the reports they were all riding irresponsibly & so have been charged

I dunno, maybe the actions of the lead riders caused the accident when a car had to take evasive actions?

Its something I guess that will not come out till trial as the news reports are pretty sketchy

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 15/03/2011 18:07  

I read this on-line today and couldn't get my head round it. I didn't read what you read Shell about irresponsible riding and knowing this, it still doesn't make sence to me. Were the accused riders actually to blame for the sad deaths of the couple?

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 15/03/2011 19:02  

Under the law if you are riding with mates and speeding etc and 1 of you has an off though it you will all be charged the same, funny but this does not apply to cars as I understand it

Update Reply
JP @ 15/03/2011 19:32  

Dunno Trish, all it said was that 2 joggers and a couple of cars had to take evasive action to avoid an accident with the group before the fatal accident happened,

I know it sounds macabre but I was looking it up to try to understand what happened as I didn't get it at first, as I doubt the whole story will come out till the trial ... If ever

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 15/03/2011 19:32  

I think that you might be right Shell.....there might be more to this that the public has already been made aware of. I know that cus I am not a rider, I don't really have much room to comment, but when I don't understand stuff, I need to keep asking questions if only to make surer that I understand it. This I just do not understand and I was going to ask the same question in realtion to car drivers as JP has mentioned.

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 15/03/2011 19:56  

There used to be the case that they could charge a group of any type of vehicles if they could be considrered to be racing on public roads but looking at current CPS guidelines there are more circumstances now. http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/da...s_driving/

Update Reply
Bren @ 10/04/2011 23:28  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email