MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Visor anti-mist and rain repellent

Visor anti-mist and rain repellent - Forums [Biker Match] Visor anti-mist and rain repellent - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Visor anti-mist and rain repellent

Last year at the Edinburgh show I purchased 6 pink wax sticks for £20.00, you were supposed to rub on the inside and outside of the visor - then polish off with a cloth. I have to say it DID NOT work so beware at the shows it is a costly oops I am going to ask if I'm doing anything wrong. If anyone has this stuff and it works, please tell me what I am doing wrong, thanks

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 03/03/2011 11:56  

Those wax stick demos at the shows are one of the oldest cons in biking!

Sure they work fine whilst the residue on the visor is still waxy. But as soon as it dries out it stops working and usually because of how thin you have to polish it out to, it dries very quickly indeed!

The people doing the demonstrations get around this problem by repeatedly demonstrating how it works!

Pinlock inserts (and similar) are the only thing that I've ever really had work for me. They're made from a very clever porous and soft plastic that is designed to absorb moisture. The downside is you can get reflections at night.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 03/03/2011 14:14  

You can do the same as the wax stuff by using fairy liquid, just put some on and rub it around till it dries off. Works ok for a short time then reapply.

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 03/03/2011 14:41  

Fairy liquid is good,also mr shean red tin

Update Reply
sumodwarf @ 03/03/2011 16:44  

Geoff, I really fell for that con , I bought six to give to some of my mates lol. Sumo & Wheelbarrow is that fairyliquid inside and outside ? Infact may have had a blonde moment - wouldn't it go foamy on the outside ?

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 03/03/2011 17:41  

Katie ... I have the wax stick as well ...Recommended to me by a year round biker so yes he does reapply regularly and he swears by it. He also cleans his visor with fairy liquid then when dry applies the wax stick . I have used it and it has been fine but then i too clean visor with fairy liquid first and reapply wax rgularly maybe that is the secret.

Update Reply
jabecs @ 03/03/2011 18:51  

I bought one of those sticks 12 years ago at ally pally, it never worked, still got it in its container. Always made do with fairy liquid till they invented pin lock [ far superior to fog city]

Update Reply
harry worth @ 03/03/2011 23:55  

Harry I'm glad it's not just me lol. Jabecs I will try both and see how that goes - great tips thank you xx

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 04/03/2011 00:47  

Haha @ bobkat, no it doesn't go foamy on the outside. Another good tip when washing your visor is don't have the water too hot, left mine to soak so the flies came off easier and when I rubbed it with a soft cloth the top coating came off. £40 for a new visor lesson learnt. :-)

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 04/03/2011 08:01  

The stand wasn't there this year at the show - I wanted to ask why it wasn't working etc (wasn't really angry ) so maybe they have made the dosh and have cut and run . Not to worry am going to give the washing up liquid a try If I do THAT wrong - at least the bubbles will be pretty trailing off my lid and floating away behind the bike

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 13/03/2011 12:23  

Red wax works fine for me Kat, when I remember to use it. I also use washing liquid.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 13/03/2011 13:11  

Works for us too but then again visors are usually cleaned just before a ride out ...

If you like a nice smell rather than washing up liquid diluted lemon juice works too ... It's also good sprayed on bathroom mirrors to stop them steaming up , and also a little sqirted in corners of the house when cleaning ... Spiders don't like the smell :-)

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 14/03/2011 05:17  

If you like a nice smell rather than washing up liquid diluted lemon juice works too I don't think of lemon as a nice smell Spiders don't like the smell :-) I don't blame them lol They dislike citronella so that's probably why they don't like lemon smell.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/03/2011 08:28  

excellent Sandi - it is my worst fear of a spider in my helmet and it crawling on my face while Im riding, so the lemon idea is great and a few drops of lemon oil inside it, sorted. Sandi your a

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 15/03/2011 17:43  

LOL Katie... Sandi hates lemon smell, its me likes it

Like you I hate spiders, so corners of the house get sprayed as does near the door that connects to the garage so they dont come in

Lemon juice is also good for bringing out the shine in blonde hair

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 15/03/2011 18:04  

oooops a Katie moment again. I'm am definately going to try that - I live at the edge of a village and we inflated spiders eeeeeeeeek - Thanks Shell

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 16/03/2011 18:31  

You INFLATED spiders ?

Is that some sort of new sport ? do you use helium gas so they float?

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 16/03/2011 22:27  

i also use washing liquid but when i was in Datona i got some Zooke one which is brilliant stuff, i have the spray and also the wax which comes in a handy little container which you can take with you on your bike, i have been told it's now available in Britain, if you see any give it a try

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 16/03/2011 23:27  

Has anybody got top tips what I can clean the lenses of my specs with? Visor wasn't too bad but my goggles were near useless for a couple of minutes. They cleared when I got up to a decent speed, but I'm wobbly enough when I'm setting off without having to peer through grey fog

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 17/03/2011 19:36  

Liquid soap of any kind or lemon juice if they do not have any coating on them.

Both will stop them fogging up (works great on the bathroom mirror to stop it steaming up when your in the shower too)

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 17/03/2011 19:38  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email