MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

VFR800fi Oil

VFR800fi Oil - Forums [Biker Match] VFR800fi Oil - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

VFR800fi Oil

I changed the oil and filter on my VFR last August, all straightforward enough. New oil was a good quality semi-synthetic 10W-40, and had no problems. It has been in the garage for the best part of 4 months now, with only 2 rides out this year, so on a lovely day like today it was time to get it sorted out. Checking the oil level showed what looked like 'lard' in the engine rather than oil, and well below the upper line, so I added a drop more oil, and sure enough, the 5mm ish line of 'lard' lifted up on top of the fresh oil. My limited mechanical knowledge says 'that aint right!' What should i check first, head gasket? . . . If its condensation emulsifiying the oil, can i just do another oil and filter change, or do i need to flush the engine with something before putting fresh oil in? Any ideas appreciated, and here's hoping its not as bad as it sounds!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/02/2011 15:48  

It's prob condensation, if it's done loads of miles change it and run it. Lots of use is best. If its newish flush it.

Update Reply
yamahama @ 08/02/2011 17:15  

Hi Slidy, I agree with Yam it is most likely condensation. Its been a very humid winter this year. Def change oil again. The vfr unit is not prone to head problems so that would be most unusual.

If indeed water is getting into the oil it's more likely to be a water pump seal than anything else. In general that engine is bulletproof.

Update Reply
whackojacko @ 08/02/2011 17:29  

Thanks guys, I was hoping people would point to condensation rather than costlier problems. Saturday morning oil change it is then . . fingers crossed!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/02/2011 18:59  

get out and ride it! Thats the cure

Update Reply
yamahama @ 08/02/2011 19:01  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email