MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

Active Topics page - changes

Active Topics page - changes - Forums [Biker Match] Active Topics page - changes - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

Active Topics page - changes

For those of you who are concerned that jokes and general chat has been removed from the forums active topics page... you'll be happy to know that moderators now have a way to FORCE a topic onto the active topics forum, even if it's in jokes or general chat forum which would normally not be included. So, if you post a serious biking topic in the general chat forum and want it on the active topics page - then give us a shout and we'll bump it up for you.

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/02/2011 14:31  

ok, so just checking....what actually is included on Active Topics now?

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 05/02/2011 17:52  

Good point... everything except the General Chat, Jokes & Silly Things and Birthday Wishes

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/02/2011 19:09  

.......but the General Chat, Jokes & Silly Things and Birthday Wishes are all active topics too - and just as important for our biker community. What's the score Matt?? So according to your new rules Matt,,,this thread shouldn't be in active topics either - shall I move it for you?

Update Reply
46Rossi @ 05/02/2011 20:37  

wots gonna happen is as most people use the active topics button to look, those topics that aren't there won't get looked at or posted in as often. A very backward step and probably as usual pandering to a minority.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 05/02/2011 20:43  

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Ditto what BB said

Update Reply
Weirdoraptor @ 05/02/2011 21:02  

I,ll ditto what both of yuz said. Ditto...

Update Reply
old red @ 05/02/2011 21:10  

What's this active button then, never used it,

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 05/02/2011 21:46  

Stop bitching and moaning FFS!!!! This is what people asked for in the topic about deleting word games. Most agreed this was a good compromise. Folks want all the junk topics removed from the active topics. And 99% of people are happy to have a cleaned up active topics page while still leaving the word games online. It's the option that meets everyone half way. Unfortuantely there's still 1% of whinging, moaning so-and-so's who want to drag BM down to the ground whatever I do ... and frankly it's starting to pee me off! Ok for those who haven't been following... People are complaining a lot, on and off the site, about all the junk in the forums Some people like the junk So to keep both groups happy... I've left the junk, but removed it from the Active Topics page How? By removing General Chat, Jokes and Birthday wishes from the Active topics page Them forums are still there though!!! If you want to have a laugh or chit-chat about what your favourite fluffy dog is - pick the appropriate forum! If you just want to quickly see all the changes to the website, events coming up, people who need help with their bike, latest bike news etc... just hit the Active Topics button. Today's changes: I've enabled moderators to put some topics from gen chat etc onto the Active Topics page if they're decent, valuable discussions that we want to promote. That way we still get the good discussions going, but it's not burried in all the junk and silly stuff. But... YOU PEOPLE ARE NEVER HAPPY ARE YOU??? Would you be happy if I just gave up wasting my time with BM and closed it down? Everyone happy then!?!? Let me design the site and continue making it the great success it's been for the last 4 years. When I make a decision it's for the best and based on feedback I get all day, every day through emails and PMs. It's ME who asks newbies why they don't subscribe, it's ME who surveys people who leave the site/delete their account/unsubscribe WHY they are leaving. Let ME worry about how to keep the site going forward and getting better. Di... why would you say this topic shouldn't be on the active topics page? It's an announcement that I want people to see. It's in the website issues forum which IS included in the active topics page. It's not a joke or silly word game for bored people. Blues & co... if you think it's a backwards step then I could undo it and just remove all the word games for good! It's an option that keeps MOST people happy. I'm sorry but you have to accept it, it's a step in the right direction, trust me.

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/02/2011 22:05  

Altho I can see both points of view here I too am a bit confused as to what constitutes an 'active' topic cos I post in the birthday forum regularly and others regularly post in the silly forum. However!... I do find it annoying that someone who doesn't contribute to the site or the events, that I know of, can post in the forum criticising Matt's efforts to keep (almost) everyone happy. Firstly it just aint do-able, there will always be someone who aint happy (ME sometimes lol) and secondly unless you at least contribute to the site in some way other than posting a bitch I recommend you don't post at all. IMHO.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 06/02/2011 06:43  

Maybe then Matt should have done away with active topics altogether?

Maybe those who don't use the forums would say they all should be deleted?

Maybe people could just realise that just cos others don't complain in the forum every 2 mins it doesn't mean the complaints don't come in !

We all live in a democracy and as such Matt asked what people wanted and then acted, he didn't just sweep his hand throw a paddy n say that's it it's all gone.

Cut the guy some slack, most web masters and site owners are never seen on the site. You only know changes are going to be made once they have been done and without any consultation at all with members !

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 06/02/2011 07:56  

Personally I never use the active topics tab, but can understand why some people were frustrated clicking on it and seeing the silly things/jokes etc at the top when they never looked at them. For me it's no hardship just scrolling through the page and clicking on the forum I wish to view. Easy peasy

Update Reply
Blackberry @ 06/02/2011 10:51  

Well being a dumbass I've only just found the active topics button, so it's no hassle for me to go back to my old ways, which I will do cos I like the general chit chat forum. I can see the point of the intent of the change but think the solution is flawed. As Sandi says, any topic being posted in is 'active', so surely that button needs renaming to 'topics currently being posted in which are deemed of importance by site staff' I'll try and think of a suitable acronym though cos that would be a huge button . Also, if moderators have to select posts within a non 'active topic' and drag it through to the 'active topics' area cos it is deemed to fit in the above category, then that issue needs addressing. Perhaps web issues/help requests could be expanded to include the hints and tips that get posted in general chit chat, motorcycle news could include member news, and general could be done away with forcing chit chat into the chit chat room. There are ways and means to suit everyone without spitting dummies out. Edit: Just spotted a possible further flaw (I hope). I've just gone to the general forum to see if I'm missing owt under the new regime and see that posts in there are still appearing in the active area. I'm assuming then that topics created in the non active groups before the change but added to after the change still appear in the active area. If not, then your idea of interesting/valuable and mine differ somewhat.

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 06/02/2011 11:00  

6ypsy

If there is something in general chat that is thought of as being relevant to all then staff & mods can 'force it active'

As Matt said people can request this using the contact us link

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 06/02/2011 17:41  

I know Shell, but if a topic that fits into general chit chat needs manually adding to an area that it doesn't get fed into automatically, I consider that to be a flaw in the process, and the forum titles/categories need reorganising to remedy it.

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 06/02/2011 18:16  

Similarly if the mods don't like a topic they can 'bury it' by taking off the active list. How about the 'censored active button'

Update Reply
yamahama @ 10/02/2011 22:29  

Also when posts get deleted ( i.e in The blackpool illuminations thread), people are left in the dark as to what's gone on?? and are left wondering if the event will take place at all!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/02/2011 22:41  

Lc the blaclpool thread is still there if you look on p2

Update Reply
JP @ 11/02/2011 04:13  

yep confirmed by me ole shiner jp, the thread is not deleted and is still there, i am talking to hotels this weekend to get idea of prices.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/02/2011 06:23  

I know the Blackpole thread is still there but POSTS on it have been deleted

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/02/2011 10:48  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email