MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Routine checks

Routine checks - Forums [Biker Match] Routine checks - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Routine checks

So how many of you actually check your bike before going out for a ride? I'm sure we are all guilty of just jumping on the bike, but there are some basic checks you should get in the habit of doing. Tyres and wheels - are the tyres inflated properly and at the right pressure... Are the tyres/wheels damaged? Are there any nails/screws/bits of glass etc in the tyre? Are they worn out and need replacing? Electrics - do all the lights work? Does the brake light come on when you pull the lever or press the pedal? Do the indicators work? (It’s a good idea to keep a stock of spare bulbs and some spare fuses at home) Brakes - are they working ok? Is the brake fluid level ok (if the level has dropped, more than likely the pads are wearing out or there is a leak) do they stick at all? (Brake callipers can seize up very quickly.. especially rear ones! if they do they may need stripping down and cleaning / seals replacing) Rear chain - check the play in the chain roughly halfway along the bottom, there should be about 2-3 cm movement on average. It should not be tight like a guitar string or too loose, as either will cause things to wear out very quickly or in a worse case lock up the back wheel... Make sure you also clean and lubricate the chain often,(A scoot oiler may be worth fitting), Clutch/brake throttle cables - not applicable to all people but if you have any cable-operated control make sure they are adjusted correctly and any cables lubricated Steering - turn the handlebars from lock to lock and make sure nothing catches or stops the movement. The steering should be smooth and there should be no "notches" as you turn the handles. If there are you could need to replace the steering head bearings.. This can be dangerous if left un-repaired; I've seen bikes that "notch" and lock the steering in the straight-ahead position! Not very nice Fluid levels - as well as the brake fluid levels, remember to check the coolant level (for water cooled bikes) and the engine oil level and top up if required. And finally... go round the bike checking fasteners, screws, bolts etc. It amazing how quickly some bolts can work loose Ideally you should do these checks every day but not everyone is going to want to check all these every time they use there bike, but they should be checked on a regular basis... once a week if you use your bike every day as a minimum. Try combining the checks with when you clean the bike. Remember POWDERS P = Petrol O = Oil and lubrication. W = Water/coolant if applicable D = Damage which incorporates a check for any suspension leakage, fork pitting etc. E = Electrics Lights, indicators, horn, guages, stop lights, kill switch etc. R = Rubber to incorporate not only tyres but grips, footrests etc. S = Stopping so brake check front and rear followed up with a running brake test within the first few feet of moving off. As an alternative there is BOLTS B = Brakes O = Oil L = Lights T = Tyres S = suspension. BB

Update Reply
bikerbitch @ 30/01/2011 15:39  

Good post BB I have a theory that most bike incidents happen in the first few miles and /or in the last 20 mins of a ride So firstly brakes and tyres and tarmac are cold when setting off and the rider may be a little rusty after a lay up Coming back the rider may be tired and dehydrated or over confident if they have been "in the groove" and as they approach home on familiar roads they tend to relax and switch their concentration off Stats say more than 50 percent of KSI ( killed or seriously injured )incidents involving bikers happen between midday and 1800 on a Sunday Any one have a different view? Twin

Update Reply
Big Twin @ 30/01/2011 17:13  

Do you just ask all these questions BB, then ignore all the answers ?

Update Reply
DriftnSlide @ 30/01/2011 21:52  

Whats the point of keeping the bulbs and fuses at home your bulb could blow when your 200 miles from home on a sunday eve under seat etc seems better with few tools

Update Reply
JP @ 31/01/2011 01:57  

For those with bike chains don't forget to check the cush drive on the rear sprocket. If it needs changing there will be some clockwise/anticlockwise movement on the rear sprocket. This is a fairly easy fix but can cause you all sorts of knock-on effects if not sorted, both in 'snatchy'riding that can spit you off or new expensive bike parts such as chains sprockets and even swinging arms. Mines being changed on Friday!

Update Reply
Rattay @ 01/02/2011 12:16  

As I ride a 35 year old bike that I've literally put together nut by bolt - I always check before riding - These machines were never really reliable and the only way one can ensure it won't let you down is to be absolutely fastidious in maintenance. I find myself listening hard to it to pick up any issues. The latest problem was that the brake pads rattled in the calipers which I have now cured.

I always make sure that I let the engine come up to temperature before riding. Modern bikes are much more forgiving.

Mark

Update Reply
Flettie @ 07/02/2011 19:55  

Im a mumpty went out to do bi8ke tes wiv 9 what ever of pressure intyre until my life saver said ohhhh ur tyres are low !! OOPS good job he was chaperoning me lol !!!!

Update Reply
kazninja @ 07/02/2011 20:49  

generally, in all honesty, i only check when cleaning, allthough, cleaning happens at least every 2 days, depending which bike im taking, but I do get on and ride, and yes, have had all sort of f&%$ups along the way, when somthing has , given up, fallen off, died, generally worn out. never without european relay, thats a good motto. "fail to prepare,prepare to.... erm,,,,, be just like th' rest of us and wing it".

Update Reply
Harleyphernalia @ 07/02/2011 21:15  

@Harlyphernalia - best way mate - I look at it like this - if the bike looks in great shape - chances are it is. If you clean your bike well it's amazing some of the things you find.

Update Reply
Flettie @ 08/02/2011 00:27  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email