MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Frank Tomas in administration.

Frank Tomas in administration. - Forums [Biker Match] Frank Tomas in administration. - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Frank Tomas in administration.

Another bites the dust,such a shame, THOMAS Sports Group, who distribute the Frank Thomas, Motrax, BKS, Lintek and Red Route brands has gone into administration. Ernst and Young today confirmed that it had been appointed as administrator for the group which supplies to both UK and European markets, has circa 70 employees and operates from freehold premises in Finedon, Northamptonshire.Tom Lukic, Joint Administrator, said, "The difficult trading conditions experienced during 2010 combined with a number of issues which impacted on the Group over the same period created liquidity problems in the business. Despite actions taken to restructure the business and reduce the cost base, the Group was unable to continue to trade in a manner that enabled it to continue to meet its liabilities as they fell due. The directors as a result requested the appointment of Joint Administrators to the Group."He added, "We are currently working with the Group's directors and management team to understand the current position in more detail and explore all options. Following the appointment of Joint Administrators to the Group, our initial strategy has been to seek a buyer for the business and assets of the Group as a going concern and we are already in dialogue with a number of potentially interested parties in this regard."Read more: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-industry/frank...z1CX2lIisa

Update Reply
bikerbitch @ 30/01/2011 15:17  

Bugga !!

What more can be said really, such a well known brand going to the wall ?

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 30/01/2011 15:21  

Lots more than 70 employees in Indonesia will be affected imho

Update Reply
Big Twin @ 30/01/2011 17:21  

Good job Brian Sansom had the sense to simply allow FT to use his brand's name and not to actually go in with FT or else a really, really good brand would have gone to the wall as well.

I think their problem is that people have realised that other brands such as HG are quite simply better. Never been impressed with FT gear.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 30/01/2011 20:38  

loads of cheap gear up for grabs then

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 30/01/2011 21:12  

The long-term implications are not good for budget/mid-priced motorcycle gear if these people drop out. Let's hope the administrators help them to get their act together.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 30/01/2011 21:20  

It was crap gear tho, at hiked prices and i though poor quality, to be Honest Frank Thomas and quality never went hand in hand.

Well thats my opinion any way

Update Reply
Excesspeed @ 06/02/2011 00:56  

I was wearing FT gloves when i came off bike and they never held up ended up with skinned hand after slide

Update Reply
jabecs @ 06/02/2011 01:50  

Before this news I never heard anything negative about Frank Thomas clothing, in fact a lot of women recommended them as they were a better fit for females. More job losses, that's sad.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 06/02/2011 07:53  

Apparently J & S have taken over, not sure what they're gonna do with it yet!

Update Reply
YID @ 05/03/2011 16:57  

i swear by HG now. FT products were terrible in my opinion. Tried a couple of bits and bobs. HG all the way now. Except for boots, which always has to be Altberg (unbeatable products!)

Update Reply
Matt @ 05/03/2011 18:19  

Kinda got mixed feelings on this one. Not least because I've just bought some FT leathers at the NIA bike show, and because they were a 'British' company.
(And yes, they were cheap..)

That said, I agree about their quality in general. Had FT boots for years before switching to alpinestars - and the difference was remarkable. Really no comparison..

As I've only had these leathers a short time, I can't comment on how long they'll last - but the 'free' matching gloves I got with them were worn once, and once only. After two very painful hours of riding, they had cut off all circulation in my fingers, and my hands were completely blue (and numb). Not only that, but they felt cheap. And flimsy..

Much of the criticism of FT gear is regarding the stitching. The kit I bought was all from their (unreleased) 2011 range, and - apart from said gloves - seems to be of reasonable quality. The jacket is comfortable (a rare thing for me) and has fair amounts of armour in the right places - and so far, the stitching has held just fine..

(of course, tomorrow is a new day - so I'd rather not speak too soon)

Without doubt, if money were no object, then it would be a different story. But as is usually the case, it always affects our choices.

Rest in peace, Frank Thomas.. and fare ye well.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/03/2011 22:26  

you buy a pair of altbergs and you will never go wrong expensive Yes! value for money TOO RIGHT best boots ever....bought a pair in 89 still good today

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/03/2011 04:51  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email