MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Do you warn riders police are in the vicinty?

Do you warn riders police are in the vicinty? - Forums [Biker Match] Do you warn riders police are in the vicinty? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Do you warn riders police are in the vicinty?

A driver who flashed his headlamps to warn motorists of a police speed trap was taken to court and fined £175. Surely if he warned drivers they would slow down, then job done? Best speeding deterrant ever? Obviously someone wanted revenue from speeders, not for them to actually slow down. Three police officers attended the court at what cost?I'm always warning riders when on the road to slow down when police are present in the area,o is that a good thing to do? or not?

Update Reply
bikerbitch @ 28/01/2011 10:17  

yes always.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 28/01/2011 10:18  

Motorcycles that warn riders when they’re speeding or cornering too fast will be on the road in two years, say researchers.

Warning systems have been fitted to a Yamaha Tenere and Triumph Sprint for tests by the Motor Industry Research Association.

Details of the tests were first reported by MCN a year ago, when we revealed a prototype would use GPS and a digital map to give riders a recommended speed for bends ahead.

Systems tested by Mira also use vibrating parts including seats and even cheek pads in helmets to warn riders of hazards, such as vehicles close behind them in a blind spot.

Mira engineering consultant Jonathan Moore said: “We put a motor in the cheek pad of the helmet so if you do not notice the object it will vibrate and give you a tactile warning that there's something to the right or left.”

Moore told the BBC he expected manufacturers to begin equipping bikes with the technology in the next 18 months to two years.
The project, called Saferider, has been funded by the European Commission, which wants to see the systems on road bikes within five years, and backed by the Federation of European Motorcyclists’ Associations.

Update Reply
bikerbitch @ 28/01/2011 10:19  

will stick to my 12 yr old bike then! bloody nannys!

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 28/01/2011 10:27  

Yep, warning others is a good thing .. You'd like to be warned that plod is round the next corner !!! What sort of molly codling, cotton wool wrapping, state nannying society are we getting to !!!! Warn riders if they are cornering too fast - - In who's view ???? Valentino Rossi's or the 52 year old Grandmother who has decided she want to ride a bike for the first time (Good Girl) ?? Or the bend just outside your town that you have take 14251 times and could take with your eyes shut?? And what happens when the techy bits in the system fail .. You go barrelling up to an unknown bend, feel no warning, so you crack on at 65 MPH only to make a new entry into the field through the hedge .. if you are lucky !!!! You ride within your own ablity, you make instand decisions as to what speed you travel at, you read the road ahead of you etc etc Every bodys level of ability is different .. so who the hell do they think they are saying you can only take this bend at X mph ?? We all seen signs on bends .. Max speed 40 mph . yeah ?? So what do you do ?? Bet I can go faster than that round here .. .. yeah easy, done that at 55 !! Cr*p like this being introduced really winds me up. Morning all

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 28/01/2011 13:11  

Yes even when i'm in my car, stick my hand out of the window and do the slow down wave ( never tell other car drivers tho... )

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 28/01/2011 13:17  

I warn everyone always.

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 28/01/2011 13:21  

Like Trisha, even if in my car I will let a bike know if a police officer is down the rd ...

I remember once being at a stop at lights & doing the police ahead out of my window at a bike across the road, he looked very bemused & I could see him talking to the bike next to him .. they kept looking at me, shrugging shoulders & then talking again ... it wasn't till I did it above my head I got the thumbs up from them that they understood

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 28/01/2011 17:40  

I always warn others.

I wonder if matey admitted he was warning others when he was stopped, I'd think it would be quite hard to pin it on you without a admission of guilt.

" honestly ossifer I was flashing my light cos I knew em all "

Update Reply
marsey @ 28/01/2011 18:00  

yep

Update Reply
sumodwarf @ 28/01/2011 21:11  

SV...excuse my ignorance but what is the sign for police ahead if you have to do it above your head? I'd be shrugging at you too lol xx

Update Reply
violetinferno @ 28/01/2011 21:34  

lol i always warn if see cops, with a thumbs down movement... first time i seen a boy racer do it to me and mate on way to bike meet i thought he was giving my bike thumbs down coz he ws in car hahahaha but was cops round corner!!! if pigs in sky i do a circle movement above me head kinda... had em right in front of us with front of helicoopter pointing at us on road from matlock bath once!!! did the swirly hand thing to everyone we all slowed and the pigs in sky flew away.... agree with marsey.. if i got stopped for flashin lights i would say had hit lever by mistake or was testing them or some other not... oh yeah occifer i like to warn all other road users arrest me now... pmsl ... tho i would love to say that ...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/01/2011 15:18  

Funny, I just saw this thread. Yesterday I saw two plod vans in a layby at the end of about a 3 mile straight with no side road turn offs or houses along it in a very rural area. They really have people's sefety in mind! I of course, travelling in the opposite direction to the cameras, flashed the 3 cars coming the other way to warn them (Iwas in my car too.) What a waste of time, I literally passed 3 cars coming the opposite direction on the 3 mile stretch with 2 plod vans waiting to get their 'big bust'

Update Reply
Rattay @ 29/01/2011 15:37  

lmao... empty country road....excellent bike hunting ground for coppers....bet they left totally peed orf and pulled someone for smiling later that night....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/01/2011 15:41  

give other bikes the heads up ? yep deffinatly...

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 30/01/2011 12:17  

police ahead with speed camera ... raise hand to top of helmet & open & close hand like a duck quacking ... or a flashbulb going off

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 31/01/2011 11:00  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email