MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Virago trouble.....engine seized?

Virago trouble.....engine seized? - Forums [Biker Match] Virago trouble.....engine seized? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Virago trouble.....engine seized?

Hi, I have a XV535 (yamaha virago) 91 plate and i bought it a few weeks ago. I got it thru MOT and then stored it in my hubby's van for a few nights then when i got it out i stored it in the garden for 2-3 nights and went out every day to let it tick over for a few minutes but it smelt very strong of exhaust fumes. On day 3 i put fresh fuel in and revved it about 4 times (off choke), every time i released the rev it was puffing out white/silver smoke then on the 4-5th rev it seemed to stop dead and went pop I have had a mate take starter motor off and that is fine. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be??

Update Reply
Pilly tart @ 24/01/2011 19:24  

Busted lol has it been lay on it's side

Update Reply
JP @ 24/01/2011 19:27  

i thought loon had diagnosed it Paula ?, i best come have a look as planned i think...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/01/2011 19:30  

LOL jp It hasn't been on it side as far as i am aware?? not while i have had it no, the guy who i bought it off had it stored in his garage for about 3 months maybe longer??

Update Reply
Pilly tart @ 24/01/2011 19:30  

Loon said one of three things Ian, one being seized engine but he said post on here and i might get some more ideas

Update Reply
Pilly tart @ 24/01/2011 19:32  

seems like i need to come for that cuppa !!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/01/2011 19:33  

heehee, i'm sure i sort that out :)

Update Reply
Pilly tart @ 24/01/2011 19:35  

i take it it would not start again?

Update Reply
mungybear @ 24/01/2011 19:45  

no mung, it just clicked like a flat battery

Update Reply
Pilly tart @ 24/01/2011 19:46  

Could the engine be turned over by bumping? or even just rocking the bike back and forth in gear....you will know if the engine turns. Or if the bike has a center stand by turning the back wheel....make sure the ignition is off but in a gear.

Update Reply
mungybear @ 24/01/2011 19:50  

i should add that if you are apprehensive about what i had just suggested, wait til your mates turn up to have a play

Update Reply
mungybear @ 24/01/2011 19:51  

White smoke is usually a sign of water/moisture in the cylinders.

However the XV535 is air cooled and so there clearly isn't a problem with coolant etc. You say fresh fuel. Is there any chance of water contamination in the fuel?

Otherwise it could be a condensation issue although this usually sorts itself out after a few minutes. After cold nights for example I get a fair bit of white smoke when I start my bike on a morning caused by condensation inside the exhaust system. But it clears after a few minutes and doesn't cause any running issue.

A smell of petrol is usually due to flooding (unlikely in this case) or an issue with the float bowl on one of more of your carbs. It could be that the float is sticking. Try just tapping the float bowls with a screwdriver or similar.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 24/01/2011 19:57  

wouldn't bump mung, rear wheel just kept locking :(

Update Reply
Pilly tart @ 24/01/2011 19:58  

Ah - just posted after spending some time composing my post (above) and as such didn't see the post about the bike no longer turning over.

As Mung says, be careful about trying to bump a potentially seized engine. Possibly a safer method would be to take the spark plugs out (therefore no compression) and to try turning the crank as if you were checking the timing.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 24/01/2011 20:02  

Wot geoff said ... take plugs out.

Also , an oil change might tell a few tails.

Update Reply
mungybear @ 24/01/2011 20:05  

i am no mechanic, i dont even have a spark plug remover tool lol ...my mate said he will look at it for me but i gotta get it over to him so i think i am taking it to brum on wednesday :)

Update Reply
Pilly tart @ 24/01/2011 20:10  

Did it rattle when it was running ? Possibly a dropped valve, or broken ring.

Update Reply
DriftnSlide @ 25/01/2011 16:58  

don't remember hearing a rattle drift

Update Reply
Pilly tart @ 25/01/2011 22:20  

i can get there P, but prob on sat if thats ok, but will have to bring my daughter with me !!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/01/2011 22:24  

it has been suggested to me by my female fellow virago riider to chech out wot i put below
I wonder if it could be the side stand cut out as they are prone to getting damp in them and then stopping the bike from starting

Update Reply
drobess @ 26/01/2011 00:10  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email