MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

One test???

One test??? (3) - Forums [Biker Match] One test??? (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

One test???

Lol ... I do believe that us what the 3rd paper for next year is all about Lou (by the way, merry Xmas hon good to see you again)... However it will mean that whatever you pass on is what you ride ... You want to step up to 33bhp from 10 you do a other test ... 72 bhp ... Yup another test !

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 27/12/2010 09:46  

How are they going to know what test/licence/size bike you can ride?
Every time a biker gets pulled over will they have to contact DVLA to see what bike you are licenced to ride? DVLA have enough problems keeping track of who has what licence now let alone having so many bike catagories, it'll be mayhem LOL. Anyone know when the different bike catagories starts? My partner only has to complete his MOD2, road ride, for his full licence and he wants to do it before he's restricted to certain bikes.

Update Reply
Shazza75 @ 27/12/2010 10:29  

there's nothing wrong with doing the mod 1 in the compounds, nothing at all - in fact most of it is easy. The person that's spoken most sense is WB - reduce the speed for the 125 and it would work. Why should those riders do the same speed to pass when we can't ride the same class of bike. !! Maybe there should also be a ban on direct access to those who have never ridden before too - these people can ride a 500 - pass a test and go direct to any cc bike - personally I'm happy with the way I'm doing it - gradually and emmmmmm safely :) - or to the best of my ability anyways :)))))) hope everybody had a good xmas xxxx

Update Reply
fem-cbf6 @ 27/12/2010 10:40  

Why don`t these Europrats just Foxtrot Oscar out of our country .. We are the United Kingdom and don`t need these idiots making us follow their barmy rulings .. We were sold down the river by that grinning jackanape and his patner in crime gordon clown .. Don`t get me wrong , i`m all for fewer bike accidents .. and the test should make riders safer .. But, it`s mainly car drivers that cause biker accidents .. ie . the little old lady/gent going 20 mph down a main road and not seeing anything other than the little he/she can see out of their jam jar bottomed glasses .. What should be made legal is .. BEFORE you can get into a car .. you HAVE to have 6 months on a bike .. you will then learn that Bikes are as important as cars on the road .. and you will be a safer driver because you will naturally look out for bikes .. therefore cutting down on accidents .. you see .. simples ..

Update Reply
nitro70 @ 27/12/2010 13:08  

Bravo Nitro, well put! I have been a car driver since 1994 but i started out with 12 months on a bike before learning to drive. Have never had an accident in a car or on a bike and i believe it was to do with the way i started out on the road.

Update Reply
Shazza75 @ 27/12/2010 13:28  

Perhaps we should all have a stint in a HGV and/or bus as well before we're allowed loose in a car? You lot should hear yourselves....woe is me the biker FFS!

Update Reply
Roachy @ 27/12/2010 13:55  

I bet once the test is adapted so the new legislation that is planned comes in there will be another uproar cos people have to do a test to prove they can progress to a bigger bike... or are those who want the test adapting so that its easier on a 125 going to be happy to be stuck on a 125 for the rest of their lives, after all you wont have passed a test to say you can ride a bigger bike so why should you be allowed on one? and as for progression cos you have the experience ... I have been driving for 25 years ... I couldn't move up to a HGV without doing a test to prove I can do it.

Tests by their very nature are designed to prove you CAN do something & if you cannot do it then you do not pass you don't adapt it so that more people pass... you teach people how to pass it & do so correctly & safely.

I hated exams in school & had panic attacks when I did my A levels ... should I have been allowed to pass them with A's as I had a medical condition that meant I was at a disadvantage to others? no... I had to learn to control my attacks so that I could sit & pass my exams in the manner that was dictated.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 27/12/2010 14:30  

Useful stuff for me for 2011...to be updated

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 27/12/2010 15:22  

The 3rd European Driving Licence DirectiveThe various member counties have all put in their two pennyworth and the Commision has designed a camel that in some way meets the different views of, say, the Swedes (ban all bikes) to the UK (let the second directive stand, that's a big enough headache already). The compromises have been settled and it went to the European Parliament late summer 2006 for a final rewording. Each member state will then have untill 2011 to implement into "local" law.
The likely scenario for the UK will be :
Age 16 CBT Provisional Moped, Theory and hazard perception test, Off road manouvres test, on road test. Full P licence.Age 17 CBT Provisional A1 motorcycle, Theory & hazard test. Off road test, on road test using 125cc bike. Full A1 licence. Restricted to 125cc 14 BHP for 2 years.Age 19 CBT Provisional A2 motorcycle, Theory & hazard test. Off road test, on road test using 33 BHP bike greater than 500cc. Full A2 licence. Restricted to 47 BHP for 2 years.Age 21 CBT Provisional A motorcycle, Theory & hazard test. Off road test, on road test using 47 BHP bike greater than 600cc. Full A licence.Unrestricted Direct Access will remain but at age 24 years.It sounds complicated.... It is complicated.... Put more simply, suppose you are 17 years old and you want a bike licence.
There's 3 steps, at 17, 19, 21 years old.Each step involves theory, off-road, and on-road tests.Each step must be taken on a bigger bike than you are currently allowed to ride, and practiced for under Instructor supervision.A wicked but subtle change (buried in the small print) is the proposed minimum test vehicles. 500cc bikes don't exist (they're 496 or 498). We suspect simple ignorance is the reason why every "learner bike" in existence will be useless from 2011 at huge expense to the public / training industry.
A rather discriminatory effect is that the existing A2 route for learners is abolished. There will be no way for a smaller or disadvantaged person to get a full licence anymore. (2 years experience on a 33bhp to then upgrade utomatically). The disadvantaged will have to cope with 650cc (?) on test, like it or lump it. For even a new A2 it will be a 550cc (?) bike which will be rather big and heavy for small people in the new off road test.
It'll all get very expensive and difficult. It's forecast that the ultimate reduction in the number of new riders going through the new system will be as much as 60%. Yes, less than half as many as at present. Add the cost to Training Centres of dealing with the 2nd directive in 2008, only to have to re-equip for 2011 and less than half as many customers it's doubtfull that there will be many bike shops or training schools surviving anyway.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 27/12/2010 15:29  

Sounds to me that the D**kheads in the government don`t want bikes around , so they can tax us even more for road tax .. which is a complete joke because none of it is spent on the roads .. as bike tax is reasonably cheap .. Time we said goodbye to the stupid EU .. this is our country .. we make up our own rules and regulations .. We need a referendum on all these new laws coming into power ...

Update Reply
nitro70 @ 27/12/2010 15:55  

as the saying goes Dave, you can please some of the people some of the time, but you cannot please all of the people all of the time ... what should they do ? should they just give you a licence cos you ask for one? ....

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 27/12/2010 16:18  

not a case of making it easier but a case of making it safer. My instructor has been instructing for over 30 years and is one of the best in the north west. He'd never put anybody in that he didn't think was good enough and he put me in because he knew I was. The front of a 125 cruiser is lighter than a 500 - forks are angled differently and therefore the grip is not as good which means that more breaking is required. I don't have to pass my test to know this, common sense dictates and that is why it should be different to a 500.

Update Reply
fem-cbf6 @ 27/12/2010 18:42  

So what your saying is that tests should be adapted and be different depending on the circumstances?

So if I have poor eyesight ... I should be able to stand closer to the number Plate to read it?

If I am too small to manhandle a bike at the start of my test ... I can skip that bit?

please !!! Accept that some have had accidents but admit that tge test is not always to blame!!!
I have done mod1 on a 125 (Cos I had torn the tendons in my ankle.. killed a cone but did speeds and stops ok) and a 650 on which I passed i did HUNDREDS of swerves and stops at 50+ kph and can say that how my instructor taught me ... I wish be was still on here I never came off, scraped the pegs or struggled to do it !!

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 27/12/2010 19:16  

I can't speak from experience, not having gone any further than CBT (& I couldn't even complete that in a day, cos I'm shite at riding! ), but it seems to make sense to me that a 125 test provides you with a restricted licence, so there'd be no surprise if there was a slight difference in the test e.g. a margin on the speed requirement. Still - looks like that's not going to be an issue after the 3rd Directive's implemented if there's no such thing as restricted licences then! They have changed GCSE's though - that's one thing I can speak with authority on, now I'm officially an Examinations Invigilator... They're 2-tiered papers - the "Foundation" paper carries the possibility of getting a maximum C-grade... (so it's a bit like taking a CSE used to be, back in the day of GCE O-Levels.) So 2-tiered testing systems for similar qualification results aren't unheard of. It would be interesting to know whether the people having in-test accidents are all riding 125's or if it's a broad spread over all machines. If there are more on 125's, that would potentially point to a problem with the bikes being up to the test requirements, rather than purely a riding standard problem? & also just what the figures are? P.S. Good to catch up with you too Shell - Merry Xmas!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 27/12/2010 20:02  

They have changed GCSE's though - that's one thing I can speak with authority on, now I'm officially an Examinations Invigilator... They're 2-tiered papers - the "Foundation" paper carries the possibility of getting a maximum C-grade... (so it's a bit like taking a CSE used to be, back in the day of GCE O-Levels.)

BUT after 2 years you cannot auto get a grade A ... you have to do the higher paper & another test to get a better grade ... & I can see the uproar that that will cause .... " I have been riding for 2 years without an accident & should be allowed to ride a bigger bike" etc etc

It doesn't matter what happens, how the tests are, what the tests are ... there will always be some that it doesn't suit !

PS -- Hope you make it to our pre wedding camp in 18 months Lou

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 27/12/2010 20:10  

PS ... found this in reply to your Q ... CAT A is a 500+ cc Bike

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 27/12/2010 22:11  

If u can't see u get glasses - if u can't reach don't use the bike - no comparison
Just common sense.

I'll stand by what I say, as I've ridden the intruder on that course lots if times and nothing anybody can say will change my mind. Well just agree to disagree on this.

Update Reply
fem-cbf6 @ 27/12/2010 22:34  

What bike did u have shell ? Just as a matter of interest and I've not once said that the test is always to blame.

Update Reply
fem-cbf6 @ 27/12/2010 22:41  

So the figures would suggest that most accidents do occur on the smaller cc bikes. 34, 559 = 160 (500) 11,764 = 67 (125) 23 = 1 (moped) I don't need to know the percentages because the figures themselves show the accident rate is higher for smaller bikes.

Update Reply
Shazza75 @ 27/12/2010 23:27  

Too many - u drive a Niger vehicle u get a different test. Simple. My bike is only about 9 or 11 bhp so it's well slow ao it has to b nailed at the top around the cones to even gave a chance if any kind of speed

Update Reply
fem-cbf6 @ 27/12/2010 23:41  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email