MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

One test???

One test??? - Forums [Biker Match] One test??? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

One test???

Motorcycle testing set for overhaul

Plans to trial a new, single, on-road motorcycle test were published today by Road Safety Minister Mike Penning.

The report from the motorcycle test review is the result of work the department has undertaken with motorcycle groups, training organisations and others since June 2010.

Mike Penning said:

“I want to make sure that we have a test which prepares bikers properly for the road so the motorcycle test review is a top priority for me.

"My goal has always been a single, on-road test which is rigorous and reflects real-life conditions. By working with the motorcycle training industry and others we have identified a set of changes which have the potential to deliver this.

"It is also my aim that these changes will open up the test to those living in areas which are poorly served by the current network of-off road test centres.

"I am grateful to all those who have given their time and expertise to the review and the focus will now be on starting trials of these proposals."

The test is currently carried out in two parts, one on-road and one off-road.

The report suggests a new hazard avoidance manoeuvre which – subject to further trialling - could be carried out on the road. There is also a proposal which will be given further consideration, that slow manoeuvres such as slalom, figure of eight, and U turn could be examined at training centres by delegated examiners ahead of the main test.

The next step will be to hold wider trials, with test-level candidates, in the new year. This process will be followed by public consultation on the proposed changes.

The Department for Transport hopes, subject to further work on safety, cost and value for money, that there would be a phased introduction of on-road testing moving to general adoption of the new test by the end of 2011 or early 2012. This will include on-road testing in priority areas which are poorly served by the current network of off road test centres.

The report can be found at:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety...ing/testreview

Still sounds like a two part test to me!!!

Fail the slow manoeuvres and will they let you continue???? as you are "unsafe" to go on the road despite having ridden on the road for up to 2 years before that??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/12/2010 22:40  

That does sound suspiciously 2-parted!

I thought the whole point of the hazard avoidance manoeuvre being in the off road test-centres was the fact that it was a European Directive that such manoeuvres had to be carried out at 50kmph, meaning we couldn't do them on 30mph roads?

There goes some more public spending! Wonder what they'll use the purpose-built off-road test centres for?

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 21/12/2010 22:54  

Wonder what they'll use the purpose-built off-road test centres for? Teaching car drivers how to provide the hazard that bike riders will learn to avoid. (Present company excluded WerBer)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/12/2010 23:06  

Excellent use of resources! When are you applying for the PM's position?

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 21/12/2010 23:11  

Be a bit difficult seeing as i don't live there anymore.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/12/2010 23:12  

Run it from the Fatherland. No problem with your super speedy German efficiency-compatible interwebnet connection

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 21/12/2010 23:15  

Ah yes,can run a country into the ground from my pc. Beats going out in the cold i suppose.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/12/2010 23:18  

its three parts really cos you have the theory how much does it cost to get on the road nowadays?

Update Reply
julie j @ 21/12/2010 23:22  

...how much does it cost to get on the road nowadays? Too much!! Ta for the news item Andy

Update Reply
Sandi @ 22/12/2010 00:16  

Good point Julie! So it's a bit like the Spanish Inquisition

Don't know the total cost, cos I allowed my cbt to lapse this year... Whatever it was going to cost to continue, I wasn't going to be in a position to cover it *rolls eyes*

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 22/12/2010 07:48  

I just did my DAS and passed my test in September :). Cost was £36 Theory (if i remember right) 2 days training inc MOD1 & MOD 2 = £399   I also travelled to Blackburn to do my training & tests as it was going to cost me £600 in Birmingham!   I already held a CBT as i'd been riding a 125 for 12 months, the CBT had cost me £110

Update Reply
Shazza75 @ 22/12/2010 08:00  

mod 1 mod 2 ? what the f**k is all this, when i did mine it was riding around cones then a cruise around the block whilst a bloke walked round with a clip board, i suppose its better if its a more sticter test !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/12/2010 08:04  

I don't think the updated (i won't use the term improved) motorcycle test is anything to do with biker safety, and more to do with trying to disaude people from getting a bike in the first place and put more money in the beer money for the government, If the powers that be, really wanted bikers to be safer on the roads they'd make sure all the potholes were repaired promtly, make it more difficult for vehicles to spill diesel all over the nearest roundabout and would make the car test more difficult, and a motorcycle awareness module instigated. All it was originally designed to do was stop mad and impressionable 17 years olds from buying a Z1 or CBX after having a 250 and killing themselves, now they can get an R1 or Busa after 2 years on a paltry 33brake 125... oh that makes perfect sense....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/12/2010 17:26  

This test does need urgent action !!!!!! ive been on the road riding for nearly 2 years now and safely - doesnt mean to say that I havn't had my share of misses however. The DSA have tried to say that there shouldn't be a problem with this test to riders that have been prepared. For the last year I've been riding very regularly with an x instructor and my main instructor has been instructing for over 30 years and would never put a candidate for test if he didnt think they were ready. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people that have come off and sustained serious injuries because of this test. 3 months of non weightbearing, 3 weeks in hospital with months of physio ahead of me. I live on my own and am struggling with day to day life with very little help. Thank you DSA !!!!! Whoever made that comment, please come and see me personally so that you can see my life as it is now and so that I can show you the damage caused. I've lost 50% use of my hand/wrist/arm and 20% of my leg, or will once I start to use it. They need to treat that test differently to 125 bikes -so difficult to make the speed they require on mine. As for the speed they ask !!!!!!!!!! If we'd been doing this at the UK limit, I would have passed the week before. Once again DSA, thanks. Break the limit and look what happens - I was 1 kmph out - 49 in swerve and 49 in emg stop and they failed me. Wake up and smell the coffee and see what you're doing to people. Also lets get a bit of fairness going here. Lets see car drivers also fork out extra for different tests and give them the same speed trap that we have to have. Bet they won't - I'm so cross right now. wish i could personally see them. If I'm lucky, my leg might start to work before long but my heart goes out to the lady that broke her neck. I hope they've had the good grace to personally go and visit her and apologise if nothing else - personally i'd smack him one. I won't stop riding when I'm back or if I'm back on my feet but I won't be doing the test as it is now. It is not safe. I'd love to know how many bikes that were involved in accidents were 125's and also the type of bike. The examiner tried to blame me but luckily Mark was stood to the side watching and told him that I did nothing wrong. He had to agree eventually. to MCN MAG and others - keep up the good work and lets get this changed !!!!!

Update Reply
fem-cbf6 @ 23/12/2010 09:51  

Can I just add that anybody riding an intruder or custom with a bhp of around 9 to 11 to be extra careful - the front is so much lighter and with the dsa examiners stopping you immediately as you you're going through the trap makes it worse as you're still nailing it down as you're trying to pick up speed. Please be careful and if you can use a 500. I would have but couldnt get one low enough in any training school :(.

Update Reply
fem-cbf6 @ 23/12/2010 10:19  

well as my cat A has disappeared off my licence in the last month and despite complaining to DVLA they are having none of it and now have to retake my test!!! so i hope they hurry up and sort things out lol

Update Reply
meza95 @ 23/12/2010 11:25  

that's not the first time i#ve heard that either. There was a piece about that in mcn not so long ago. There was a way of proving that you had a bike licence but it had to be either before or after a certain date. Might be worth you going in search of the article.

Update Reply
fem-cbf6 @ 23/12/2010 12:33  

Hmmm

Well I did the new test last November for Mod 1 and my instructor had me do hundreds of swerves and emergency stops. I had the advantage I think that the school I was with had a full size mod1 practice course so I started slow and built up to the required speed. I never came off at all despite wet or frosty conditions so would agree with the statement about being prepared.

However it does sound like a money making thing ... At the mo fail mod1 and it's £10 to resit... Fail main bike test it's £70 (or was) put it all in one test ... Fail on the slow stuff have to pay big fee to resit!

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 23/12/2010 12:38  

Wow Fem, i really hope you make a full & speedy recovery. I rode a 125 cruiser (my avatar pic) until i took my full licence. As i knew it wouldn't make the speed for the swerve avoidance & E stop i forked out for the un-restricted test on a 500cc. We first had to do the whole course (practice day) on a 125 honda CG and barely made the speed requirement safely, i have to admit it's stupid having the exact same test whether on a 125 restricted or 500cc full test. Next day we were given the 500's to practice on and then day 3 was our MOD1 and first attempt on the 500cc, the test was a whole lot easier on the big bike and showed just how much of a difference between the small & big bikes and why there should be a difference in reg's for the different CC tests.

Update Reply
Shazza75 @ 23/12/2010 12:41  

Shell don't forget the cost of bike hire and time as well if needed. My partner took his tests at the same time as me last September and failed his MOD2 (i must not laugh), the cost to re-take it including bike hire and test fee is £150, then with time off work and travelling it adds up to £200. He has re-taken his MOD2 in October and failed again, this time it was not his fault at all. The examiner knew he had taken the test before so asked which attempt this was, when told it was his second attempt the examiner smirked and said "and there'll be a 3rd" sure enough he only got 4 marks on his test sheet but was told he'd been failed for not holding the centre of his lane position when he'd moved out to overtake 3 parked transit vans because he couldn't see around the corner past them! He was still 2ft inside the centre white line on the road but apparently you can't argue and the examiners word is final. You can appeal but i have been told it costs more than to re-take the test and only 1 person has ever won the appeal. So now we have to wait to spend more money on another test when the weather improves. My partner is still livid over it as he's been riding bikes for over 20 years and has never had an accident so he can't be that dangerous.

Update Reply
Shazza75 @ 23/12/2010 12:53  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email