MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

What a plank!

What a plank! - Forums [Biker Match] What a plank! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

What a plank!

A woman dialed 999 to report a theft - of a snowman outside her house. Police said she thought it demanded their involvement because she had used pound coins for the eyes and teaspoons for the arms. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p> The woman, from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Chatham</st1:City>, <st1:country-region w:st="on">Kent</st1:country-region></st1:place>, has been "spoken to" by officers to advise her about what constitutes a real emergency. <o:p></o:p> Kent Police issued a transcript of the "completely irresponsible" call which they received overnight as they fielded thousands of calls from people because of the sub-zero conditions. <o:p></o:p> In the call, the woman tells the operator: "There's been a theft from outside my house. "I haven't been out to check on him for five hours but I went outside for a fag and he's gone." <o:p></o:p> The operator asks "Who's gone?" and the woman replies: "My snowman. <o:p></o:p> "I thought that with it being icy and there not being anybody about, he'd be safe." <o:p></o:p> The incredulous operator asks her: "Do you mean an ornament?" The woman replies: "No, a snowman made of snow, I made him myself. <o:p></o:p> "It ain't a nice road but you don't expect anybody to nick your snowman." <o:p></o:p> The operator then tells her that it is an emergency line and she should not be ringing it to report the theft of a snowman. <o:p></o:p> Chief Inspector Simon Black, from Kent Police's force contact and control centre, said: "This call could have cost someone's life if there was a genuine emergency and they couldn't get through. <o:p></o:p> "It was completely irresponsible. We have spoken to her and advised her as to what is a 999 call, and this clearly was not." <o:p></o:p> Kent Police has received more than 8,000 general and 999 calls in 48 hours, double the number it normally receives. <o:p></o:p> Mr Black said: "We do have powers to prosecute people for misusing the 999 system, but in this case the woman genuinely thought this was a theft that she should report because she'd used pound coins for the eyes and teaspoons for the arms."<o:p></o:p>

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 03/12/2010 13:06  

It just sums up what's happening this week. My other half is a community bobby and he's spent most of the week going to idiots houses who've reported snowballs thrown at them or there houses!! They all think they've been targeted personally!! Get a life a let them get on with real policing :-(

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/12/2010 14:51  

Aye, it's a jungle out there, and the numpties are two-a-penny these days it seems

Update Reply
Sharky92 @ 03/12/2010 15:31  

We had a lady last year here who rang up as her cat was playing and scratching here setee...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/12/2010 16:05  

This doesnt surprise me one bit. I've heard a lot worse You can listen to the silly moo here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...583

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 03/12/2010 17:19  

I watched emergency bikers on tv last night some drunken muppet wanted the ( bike) paramedic to give him a lift home FFS you couldn't make it up

Update Reply
Big Twin @ 03/12/2010 17:30  

i have had a lad come up to the ambulance saying that he is having a heart attack and needs a lift home to recover. My reply was "Your standing up and talking to me. i have just watched you finish your drink and walk over to me. If you are having a heart attack you will be going to hospital not home. Ambulance is not Latin for taxi!!! Jog on!"

Update Reply
Phil @ 03/12/2010 18:29  

wheres the spirit of goodwill gone? i dont know - if there was still bobbies on the beat we would not be in this sort of mess...does anyone know if she got her man back?!

daft cow!

not you KG!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/12/2010 18:06  

Sorry to hijack the thread but reminded me of a joke I received last week.......

An Irishman phoned the police last week thinking he had found a mass grave of snowmen, on further inspection he was in a field of carrots.

Update Reply
WillPool @ 04/12/2010 19:06  

From the Sarf, nuff said

Update Reply
DynaToon @ 04/12/2010 19:20  

!!!!!......They should be bloomin well fined for wasting a valuable resource!! Un-bloody-believeable!!...however you really cant make it up!

Update Reply
v1973m @ 04/12/2010 23:33  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email