MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

ZZR 1400 rattle during start

ZZR 1400 rattle during start - Forums [Biker Match] ZZR 1400 rattle during start - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

ZZR 1400 rattle during start

Does anyone know what may be the cause of a short metallic rattle sound as the engine starts. It disappears as soon as its running and doesnt occur until the next start. Is this something I should be worried about. My bike is a 2007 model with just 10 thousand miles on the clock. Thanks

Update Reply
catch-me @ 28/11/2010 18:59  

No idea Catch-me. I've a 2009 model with just over 10k miles on it, and up till now, I've never noticed any noise like that at start-up. I'm sure someone on here might have more of an idea, and failing that, there's always a dealer to ask or look at it for you. Hope you manage to get it sorted though, peace of mind at the very least eh.

Update Reply
Sharky92 @ 28/11/2010 19:10  

If you park it on the sidestand and don't use it much then it may appear to make more noise on start up. Simply because the oil deadens noise. Some of it will have drained away and to one side. Nothing to worry about if that's what it is.

Update Reply
limeninja9 @ 28/11/2010 19:36  

sounds like an oil pressure issue. does it happen every time or only when you start it up after it's been stood for awhile. it could be cam chain or low oil pressure i would get it investigated.

Update Reply
yamahama @ 28/11/2010 19:52  

Limeninja may have it with his theory. My CB13 does exactly the same thing and I leave it on the sidestand overnight.

Next morning, when I start I get a slight top end tapping/rattle for about fifteen seconds and then it goes away.

As he says, if it's something like this then it's nowt to worry about.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 28/11/2010 21:15  

Catch-me, does it have a hydraulic tensioner on the cam chain? Oil-head BMWs have one for each cylinder, and in the earlier models the oil drains from the left-hand one which means there's a noticeable clatter for a second or two on start-up.
Cured in later models by a new design with a one-way valve, btw.

Just done some Googling - its looks as of you're not alone!
http://www.zzr-international.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?...amp;t=8457

Update Reply
Wills @ 28/11/2010 21:55  

sounds like the hydraulic tappets, sometimes you can get a lazy one that takes it time to adjust etc, once the oil gets round they can then go quiet, early vauxhall over head cam engines were notorious for it .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/11/2010 23:07  

Thanks for all your thoughts. Its gona be due an annual service soon so will get it checked out. I have heard its a common Kawasaki qwerk, and some say its not. The bike is kept upright between rides. It only happens when its been standing for a while ie on the 1st start of the day. Ive tried blipping the starter and think that helps a bit. So my gut feel is the chain tensioner is not doing what it is supposed to do. Thanks again

Update Reply
catch-me @ 02/12/2010 22:10  

hiya cm ... when you start an engine from cold the oil is thick and takes a few seconds to start circulating properly thus the rattle .... my old zx10 does the same thats why once started its best to let it tick over till warm before riding .... just a bit of common lol .... it just cuts engine wear and not really anything to worry about .... i shouldnt think its the camchain because that would be rattling constantly ....

Update Reply
nellie @ 02/12/2010 23:12  

wear ear plugs when you start it, wont hear it then

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 03/12/2010 02:27  

LOL @ Bikeabill

Had a quick look at that forum, looks like it is a quirk of the model.

I also noticed a bit of good advice was given out, thumbing the starter a couple of times to get the oil circulating,

I have always done this with my bikes and as they have all had carbs i turn the engine over for a couple of seconds before i give it some choke to start it.

Update Reply
marsey @ 03/12/2010 02:45  

Mines a 2009 and like Sharky, never noticed any noise, but some of them on that forum worry about anything, its a noise! the gearbox makes a noise when I put it into first gear, yes they do !!! etc etc

Its paranoia you know ....................

LOOK HE'S BEHIND YOU!!!!!

P.S. You must be one of the posh ones with a centre stand if its kept upright then, catch-me

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/12/2010 16:43  

Clutch rattle can be quite common on Kawa, as mentioned below oil drains away when stood also cylinder balancing is not as good when running on choke as only idle & throttle openings are balanced.

Update Reply
Chris3490 @ 30/12/2010 20:22  

hads  it  only  recently  started  to  msake  this  noise?

Update Reply
mungybear @ 01/01/2011 22:09  

I'll stick my 2 penneth in for what its worth.....check the starter motor itself. has it simply come loose. just maybe it's not the engine making the noise. just don't overlook the obvious, but don't ignore it....it could be a warning sign.

Update Reply
Phantom1539 @ 01/01/2011 23:25  

is it fixed yet?

Update Reply
mungybear @ 19/01/2011 19:20  

Sounds like the cam chain tensioner, it could just be between notches and may need a little help to the next one, ask your dealer if it's a common problem, they may have a fix for it!

Update Reply
YID @ 19/01/2011 19:39  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email