MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

what do you do with yours

what do you do with yours - Forums [Biker Match] what do you do with yours - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

what do you do with yours

Had an RTA last year (bike V very big artic lorry - no guessing as to who lost ) - my helmet tooked a bash or three as I bounced along the grass verge - I can't remember being flipped off the bike, or landing . . . I was knocked unconscious but I reckon that helmet went to towards preventing a more serious outcome . . Consequently I'm loathed to get rid of it . . it's in its box in the attic. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas as to what I could do with it.... how have you recycled your unwanted helmets?

Update Reply
DaftUn @ 21/11/2010 19:40  

flickr.com/photos/54842718@N00...48/ One suggestion!

Update Reply
YID @ 21/11/2010 19:50  

put it in the bin where it belongs! it probably saved your head but now its dead - better it than you.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 21/11/2010 19:55  

@ YID - love it! lol! But got me thinking - so I googled..... and this is what I found and what I'll be doing with mine. "Well, there isn't any official way to recycle a motorbike helmet, but you can make sure it continues to protects people beyond it's days of active duty on the roads. How about handing your helmet in to a fire station, rescue centre or some other emergency service, so that they can practice handling motorcyclists in an accident? Using your trusty old helmet on dummies and models, emergency services and trainees can pefect the skills necessary to remove a rider's helmet safely. A great idea. Far better than landfill, and far more useful!"

Update Reply
DaftUn @ 21/11/2010 20:13  

turn it up side down and put a plant in it ,,it will remind you what it did for you..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/11/2010 20:56  

sentimental clap trap el ninja

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 21/11/2010 22:09  

Offer it to the Red Cross in Preston for training use. They can use it when simulating how to remove a helmet on first aid courses. You never know it may save another life yet. the Red Cross are in Pitman Way and ask for Ernie Walton. If he doesn't want it then send me a PM and I will grab it off you and I will pass it on to a center in Merseyside. British Red Cross Pittman CourtPittman WayPrestonPR2 9ZG 01772 707 300

Update Reply
Phil @ 21/11/2010 23:14  

It may be of some use to those folk who take scooters to the sahara or other places for medical charities in the thirld world ?

Update Reply
Big Twin @ 21/11/2010 23:57  

Thanks for the info PP (long time no see)

Ian n I have several old helmets in the loft good idea !

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 22/11/2010 06:51  

fyi - my helmet found a good home - the Lancashire Fire and Rescue Services Training Centre

Update Reply
DaftUn @ 08/01/2011 12:46  

Damm good end DaftUn..So it carries on hopefully saving others from further injury!.. Another couple of years life left in mine yet, will bear in mind it,s use in 'helmet afterlife' though..

Update Reply
old red @ 08/01/2011 14:34  

put it at the side of the main road with red paint might make some folk think !!!!! little sign saying THINK BIKE

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 08/01/2011 18:13  

Hooray! Thanks for this, I have 3 helmets and won't throw any of them (not just bikegear, I'm the same with allsorts). My teddy bears wear them for want of a better place to put them, and now I have one.

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 08/01/2011 21:20  

you could always put a light in it, with a tinted visor would make a great table lamp!!

Update Reply
aussiegeezer @ 08/01/2011 23:36  

Hey we could start a recycling forum like those daft articles they have in women's mags.

What about lining your old boots with pond liner to make a handy new rally tankard.

Or, saw the top off an old helmet, and you have an unbreakable bowl. :-)

Yours is quite a good one though Oz, so don't know if that can go in!

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 09/01/2011 00:49  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email