MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

adapting to a different bike

adapting to a different bike (3) - Forums [Biker Match] adapting to a different bike (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

adapting to a different bike

I will see if i can find out what pads are on it Tony, but I cant get them off myself Im afraid and i will deff get the suspension sorted,thanks for the advice everyone way past my bedtime now but will update this with any new developments

Update Reply
julie j @ 16/11/2010 23:46  

I have been reading this thread and agree with GT get the bike checked out and if it has none standard pads change them for OE types run the supension as soft as you can get away with for the road.

To many bikes have had the FASTBIKES treatment on them and they are crap on the road and someone like yourself buys this animal and starts having problems.

Update Reply
sdv9r @ 16/11/2010 23:50  

You've read my PM ..... I'll see what I can do

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/11/2010 12:42  

A track day is a really good idea.
You will learn loads about your bike's capabilities (and yours too).
Some places run ladies-only trackdays, if you feel intimidated.

Update Reply
2Dogs @ 17/11/2010 15:00  

The point about this post is that is sounds like the bike has been set up purely for the track .... that IMHO is not what she wants or needs

Far better would better than a track day would be to do an advanced riding course on the road.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/11/2010 15:53  

the bike was bought new as a track bike hence the low milage and price,just hope it was run in properly, I`ve bought it to see if i like sports bikes before splashing out on a newer one and will prob keep it for a year.I would like to try a track day with a tutor just to see what its all about,what i find intimidating is the thought of lots of people going hell for leather passing me with only an inch to spare be it male or female! Advanced training has really helped with my general riding but it would be great to know that something could be done to the bike rather than it all being me me me !!!

Update Reply
julie j @ 17/11/2010 16:01  

You should have titled the thread, adapting a bike to me. Then it would be about the bike and not you you you.

Update Reply
yamahama @ 17/11/2010 16:29  

it was all me then. now its poss its all the bike who knows it could still be me but its prob not you.

Update Reply
julie j @ 17/11/2010 17:26  

I sorted something out last night for you JJ, you may have heard by now. Looks like Andy also has. Solutions may arrive swiftly now ..

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 17/11/2010 17:43  

If you do a track day in the novice class you'll probably find most riders feeling exactly the same as you at the start. After the first session you'll no doubt find your fears unfounded and your confidence going through the roof. The instructors are usually very helpful (especially with girlies!), and there are often people there who can help you with settings, even if it's just the more experienced guys in the paddock. Don't you have a manual with the standard settings in, or could you download one?

Update Reply
Weirdoraptor @ 17/11/2010 17:46  

Tony I am intrigued now!

Update Reply
julie j @ 18/11/2010 14:49  

I would put the bike back to standard settings including brake pads and start from there before you do a track day so you will have a point of referance to start from and learn the bike and what your abilities are on this bike.

Im not found of I.A.M. advanced coarses and some of the ideals within this trianing but track days are a great way of learning more quicker and safer than the roads and most have good instructors to help if you don't have someone to help you.

As alway that's my point of view and all complaints should be sent to someone else.

Update Reply
sdv9r @ 18/11/2010 16:37  

moves are afoot! Many thanks for all the offers of help and things are looking promising.It will be interesting to see what pads are on the bike and if thats contributing to the issues I`m having.

Update Reply
julie j @ 18/11/2010 22:31  

Julie .. if you bring it over one weekend we'll sort the suspension etc.

Sorting suspension for someone is easier to do if there's three people anyway.

1 - the rider (you)
2 - the holder (me)
3 - the measurer (Roachy)

It's all a case of getting appropriate static sag and then working from there.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 19/11/2010 16:04  

thanks Geoff will do that, can imagine you are an excellent holder and I have no doubts that Roachy will be very precise with her measurements!

Update Reply
julie j @ 19/11/2010 16:59  

UPDATE!! the bike has standard pads, so not an easy sort out job, the braided hoses dont make much difference acc, to the local yamaha dealer and he reckons it could poss be swinging arm bearings or bushes, how likely is this on a bike with 8k on it? if anyone has anything else to add I would be interested to hear.

Update Reply
julie j @ 20/11/2010 13:18  

do you know any one else who has an R1 so you can compare the handling. I know this won't answer all the question because there will different setting between the 2 bikes, but it could be a good starting point. oh what year is it

Update Reply
cw @ 20/11/2010 14:34  

its a 2001 and yes thats a good idea to get someone else to try it, thats going to be my next thing to try.

Update Reply
julie j @ 20/11/2010 14:47  

Braided hoses do make a difference - that's why people fit them.
They will make the brakes feel more positive, and less spongy.

It's unlikely to be the swinging arm bearings on such a low-mileage bike, but you can do a quick check (with the help of a friend).

Put the bike on the sidestand and have someone stand on that side and pull the bike towards themselves until the rear wheel lifts off the ground.
Grip the swingarm and try to move it side to side. If it rattles or moves, then the bearings are shot.

HTH
2D

Update Reply
2Dogs @ 20/11/2010 15:29  

unlocking for julie

Update Reply
Matt @ 30/03/2011 16:37  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email