MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

adapting to a different bike

adapting to a different bike - Forums [Biker Match] adapting to a different bike - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

adapting to a different bike

what have you learnt or needed to learn or even change in regard to your riding to get used to a different bike?

Update Reply
julie j @ 15/11/2010 20:24  

Learn to take things easy to start with, get to know the bike and take it one step further every time you take it out. If you find something that you think is totally different then concentrate on adapting to that issue before moving on.
Hope it helps

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 15/11/2010 21:20  

First thing to know is how good the brakes are.

Update Reply
Weirdoraptor @ 15/11/2010 21:25  

That not all tyres/brakes are born equal lol.

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 15/11/2010 21:29  

Dont matter how good the brakes are if your sat on the side of the road with an empty tank

Update Reply
JP @ 15/11/2010 21:30  

When I got my first Harley after 15+ years of riding Japs, I found out quickly that you do not come barreling up to a roundabout & change down two or three gears .. .. .. VERY VERY nearly spat me off due to the wide gear ratio spacing. Also discovered the failings in handling .. .. I remember likening it to riding a bike with an anvil in each pocket. And we wont mention what I thought of the brakes on that bike 20 years ago .. it was an 1989 model with single front disc .. .. pull the lever in - - okay pull it some more - - okay pull it even more .. .. oh shit, front wheel has now locked & I'm kissing tarmac. We learned a lot and spent a lot since then then ............... Ah, yes JP .. .. the reserve that gets you around 12 miles .. nearly forgot that one .. .. .. bummer. See Shadow, I can derogate them as well as praise them .. but they are beauties when you know 'em .. .. bit like ladies Sorry girls xx

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 15/11/2010 21:42  

All the early K-series BMWs are top-heavy, and that took a bit of getting used to. I then forgot to un-learn the habit of letting it drop into a corner and then lifting it out a bit, and was badly caught out in a test ride on another bike with more neutral handling - ran horribly wide on the first left-hander, and it was only by good luck that nothing was coming the other way.
Lesson learned. You've really got to engage your brain more than ever on a different bike, especially it's a different kind of bike altogether.

Update Reply
Wills @ 15/11/2010 21:55  

so Julie how are you getting on with the R1 - or is this what this topics about ??

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 15/11/2010 22:16  

OK, how about the torque reaction on big Guzzi v-twins?
LOL

Update Reply
2Dogs @ 15/11/2010 22:41  

I would be interested to hear how people have coped going from a smallish bike to having a lot more power,getting used to a different standard of brakes etc, got some crossover on this thread with ABS on a few weeks ago.

Update Reply
julie j @ 15/11/2010 23:15  

I've had bikes with all different quality of brakes ....... a shitty Super tenere, but as it was a 750 twin lots of engine braking.

The ZZR1100's were all mediocre, one was really crap especially 2 up, but all it is is a case of adapting, I do it unconciously, but I've been riding for over 36 years and the longest I've had one bike has been 2 years, plus I've had up to 3 bikes at one time with all different characteristics, how about a 650 Bonnie, a Laverda Jota and a Suzuki GT380 !!!

What I will really have to think about is when the RD goes on the road ..... its a long time since I had a 2 stroke with zero engine braking.

Had a FJ1200 with ABS, only happened a couple of times, not too scary as it was in a straight line at fairly low speed, but very weird

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/11/2010 14:50  

Find its better progressing with bikes from small 100cc 125's etc learning then moving up as funds and insurance goes down to bigger faster bikes difficult jumping from right hand gear change to bikes with left gear change and getting use to shaft drive main thing is enjoy learning a bike and be safe .... try jumping on an old British bike after riding a modern Jap machine and you begin to appreciate its not all about speed... just as much fun just don't stall them lol!

Update Reply
Rooster roo @ 16/11/2010 15:29  

Hi HFG, it has been very strange riding the R1, in many ways its so easy to ride, the handling is so much more natural feeling than a sit up bike but maybe thats just me the thing that is taking some getting used to is the braking, its just completely different to my last bike which really was my 1st bike for 25yrs!

Update Reply
julie j @ 16/11/2010 17:06  

Thing is with the braking ....... how have you got the suspension set up at the front? Standard settings? if its really soft then that will make a difference

For example, I prefer the front end firm, so there's no diving, but then again I'm not the smallest person in the world, so need it that way anyway.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/11/2010 17:12  

I have no idea about suspension set up, the bike feels vert stable generally its just a bugger to control if I ever need to brake hard, will prob get it set up for me at some point as I am a lightweight!

Update Reply
julie j @ 16/11/2010 17:16  

If its been used as a track bike in the past, the suspension might be in that mode too.

The combination of hard suspension and fierce front brakes will be a scary combination.

As you are much lighter than the previous rider, the back end needs softening off, in fact sounds like all the suspension needs adjusting for you.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/11/2010 18:48  

Try putting the suspension settings back to standard as a start, see if that helps ........... try here as I'm not sure what year the bike is.

http://www.sportrider.com/suspension_settings/suspensio...amaha.html

Pity you are so far away or I could help you out with it

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/11/2010 19:07  

So for your bike it will be .....................

front
preload

front
rebound damping

front
comp. damping

rear
preload

rear
rebound damping

rear
comp. damping

lines showing

clicks out

clicks out

position
6 of 9

clicks out

clicks out

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/11/2010 19:45  

Something I found out that was rather important to learn, when I bought me first bike with panniers,...... take at least one of em off before riding, or at least trying to ride,.. through the hand gate out front,....... Dohhh!

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 16/11/2010 19:55  

I think adjusting to a different bike is the same for us pillys too.

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 16/11/2010 19:57  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email