MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Car Engine Oil in a BMW Boxer Engine?

Car Engine Oil in a BMW Boxer Engine? - Forums [Biker Match] Car Engine Oil in a BMW Boxer Engine? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Car Engine Oil in a BMW Boxer Engine?

Is it ok to use car engine all (if its the same sae) in a BMW boxer engine?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/11/2010 13:41  

Hello mate, I've never understood the difference between eg. 15/30 car oil and 15/30 bike oil. I did an oil change on my bike (TL1000 engine) and used GTX Magnatec a few years ago, and it was spot on. I never noticed any difference in the running of the bike at all. HTH

Update Reply
Weirdoraptor @ 12/11/2010 13:57  

It wouldn't bother me at all as long as it was the right specification. Obviously the old airheads used something like a 20/50 while I use a semi-synthetic 10/40 for the oilhead I've got now. Last change used oil from Hein Gericke, but that was just cos it was on offer and if halfords have their own brand at the right spec and right price for the next change then I'll use that.

Update Reply
Wills @ 12/11/2010 14:13  

Engine oil for an air cooled motor cycle engine IS different to oil for a water cooled car engine PERIOD !!!! As to the oil for the boxer engine .. I am unsure .. refer to dealer, although we know they will tell you to use BMW oil at stupid price per litre. Any reputable motor cycle shop SHOULD be able to properly advise. Back in mo with further details ......... Okay .. Google 'Morris lubricants' for oil spec. The main NO - NO for using car oil in your bike is if you have integral clutch and / or gearbox oil. The car oil is NOT designed to cope with the pressures of the gears and the car oil has too many additives in it for the clutch to like it. H T H Wills, .. with the few quid you are saving on Halfords shite ... put it in a bottle to save for the engine rebuild that you WILL need at a later date .......... Oil spec nowadays IS a critical thing .. wrong grades CAN and DO damage components ...............

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 12/11/2010 14:31  

For all you guys & gals that ride Harley's .... If you are caught out with low engine oil and dont have HD oil .. Use a semi synthetic Diesel oil of the correct spec ie 20/W50. This is the most similar oil to HD's spec. Come on Shadow ... ... I'm waiting

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 12/11/2010 14:56  

Is that tractor oil then??

(15- luv, tony to serve )

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/11/2010 15:00  

15 - love .. I knew you cared x

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 12/11/2010 15:02  

Should've mentioned that all but the very latest BMWs have a dry car-type clutch and separate gearbox.
Oil's been a big topic of debate on many BMW forums, with many people arguing themselves round in circles, and most independent BMW mecahnics happy to use a an SJ-spec oil of whatever viscosity is preferred.
For more than you ever want to know about BMW bike oil (or a cure for insomnia!), see here: http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/oilreport.html.

Update Reply
Wills @ 12/11/2010 15:11  

OKay Wills .. always happy to learn, but stand by the comment ... Oil spec nowadays IS a critical thing .. wrong grades CAN and DO damage components ...............

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 12/11/2010 15:42  

Buy a 125ml bottle of Activ8 additive and sling it in along with the oil change, this stuff is brilliant !!! I done the torque bar test at one of the bike shows years ago and it blew me away. Been using it in my cars and bikes ever since, and in the car gearbox. After adding it to the bike and another dyno run it gave me an extra 3 BHP to boot.

http://www.simplan.co.uk/

Update Reply
DriftnSlide @ 12/11/2010 15:44  

Hi drift. . yep an excellent friction reducer ............ Down side is that it can attract moisture. Will find the relevant docs at later date for you ........... I'm off for the weekend in an hour .. so no time now.

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 12/11/2010 15:46  

I've used it for about 8 or 9 years now Tony on all sorts of bikes and cars, and never had a problem with moisture. A lot of mates use it also with no problems. I can honestly state I have nothing but good things to say about it. You can get it on ebay now aswell.

Update Reply
DriftnSlide @ 12/11/2010 15:49  

Maybe a case of personal preference & statistics can prove anything you want them to. Main worry I had was the long stroke of 4 5/8" & bore of 4 1/8" to expose a massive surface area to moisture....... Fullly agree with you on the excellent friction reduction side though.

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 12/11/2010 16:03  

i used to sell valvoline racing oil 20/50 to a guy with a bm, i think it was a R 100 RT 1985 ish, the engine f---ed up, when the dealer ordered the engine parts bmw queried the order as they had never had been asked for the parts before, so i think correct oil is very important

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/11/2010 17:13  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email