MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

VL 1500 clutch lever goes when trikes hot..!!

VL 1500 clutch lever goes when trikes hot..!! - Forums [Biker Match] VL 1500 clutch lever goes when trikes hot..!! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

VL 1500 clutch lever goes when trikes hot..!!

Ok.. was out in trafic on my vl 1500 trike. it's all intruder. however. while riding through the seaside traffic at southend on off clutch as you do. I found that the tension had gone from the clutch leaver I pulled over had a coffee as you do she had cooled down a little after about 20 mins or so and the clutch tenssion in the lever had regained. no sure what causes this. seens normal for a year 99 model and seems that one remady is to change the clutch fluid for a pro dot 4 with a higher boiling point. Has any body else experianced anything like this before if so do share your woes and victories would be greatful . Cheers Craig

Update Reply
WICCA64 @ 31/10/2010 21:26  

Hi Craig,
Yep,certainly sounds like fade through fluid boiling.A few things can cause this;
1-Insufficient clearance between slave cylinder & clutch actuating mechanism.
2-Binding/sticking pistons in slave or main cylinders.
3-Air/moisture in clutch fluid caused by failure to change fluid at recommended intervals,usually every 2 yrs.

Personally I`d try changing the fluid first,making sure you bleed it out properly & check to make sure the slave cylinder is moving freely as it should.If there`s crap around the pistons it`ll stop them returning to their correct positions allowing constant contact which will cause overheating of the fluid.

Update Reply
Wraith750 @ 31/10/2010 22:26  

<!--6e052d28b1806771e2d163a041d4a5d4-->ditto what Wraith has said, time to give em some TLC <!--6e052d28b1806771e2d163a041d4a5d4-->

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 03/11/2010 00:38  

lol all bikes and trikes need a little TLC...LOL (well I think of a few that dont)...!!!

Update Reply
WICCA64 @ 04/11/2010 03:04  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email