MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

The Biker Nod

The Biker Nod - Forums [Biker Match] The Biker Nod - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

The Biker Nod

Hiya. I'm new on here and I apologise if this topic has been discussed before but I'm curious about the "Biker Nod" Now I've been a biker for nearly 3 years and I give a quick nod to every biker I pass on the road but it's a 50/50 split whether I get a nod back in return, this doesn't bother me in the slightest if I'm ignored, but I am curious as to why some bikers choose to nod and some not?? Maybe they did'nt see me, maybe they're having a bad day, maybe it's my L plates as one biker once told me But what do you do, are you a nodder or not??? and why??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/10/2010 18:25  

Hi! Yes, it's been discussed quite a few times

Personally, I think it's snobbery, I have 2 bikes, a naked urban and an adventure like. When on the urban, I get nods from all bikers except cruisers and adventure bikes, if I'm on the other, it's the opposite.

Personally, I wave and nod to all bikers, except yobs on scooters

Update Reply
brigadoon @ 05/10/2010 18:56  

I nod to everyone! Even scooter pilots. I've found that said scooter pilots or Harley riders are the least likely to nod back, not to say they never do. Also riders in London seem less inclined to nod, though, again, not without exception.

Like you I'm not really fussed whether I get a nod back or not, but I have to admit it gives me a little lift when I do.

Update Reply
Drum @ 05/10/2010 19:01  

It gives me a buzz when I get a nod back too

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/10/2010 19:04  

I'm not fussed either if they don't nod back although I do mutter to**er to myself if they don't...

And yes Drum, you're right, it does give you a great feeling

Update Reply
brigadoon @ 05/10/2010 19:07  

I agree - I'll nod to anyone no matter what they are riding - apart from little kiddies on scooters with jeans 'n' tee shirts - I've learnt that they never nod back ;) Although I do pass a scooter rider on my way to work most days and get a return nod from them.

And yeah it is a good feeling when you get one in return :)

Update Reply
Talis @ 05/10/2010 19:22  

I always nod to other bikers, but as said earlier, find that "some" harley owners don't nod back, doesn't bother me in the slightest, think it's funny.

Update Reply
retrofan @ 05/10/2010 19:23  

Ive found that with L plates on I often miss out on me nods :-(... is that cos Im learning and not worth it ?? boo hoo.

Update Reply
kazninja @ 05/10/2010 20:02  

I try to nod at everyone,,, but sometimes see them a bit late so apologies to those... When not hanging on for dear life I actually prefer a wave... not a flappy wave your nan gave but a cool (don't laugh) sort of,,, Ask me to show you. And don't laugh.

Update Reply
limeninja9 @ 05/10/2010 20:05  

A wave!! nice one, liked to see that one , find it hard taking hands off at silly speeds .

Update Reply
retrofan @ 05/10/2010 20:12  

I was told by a Harley rider that he gave a nod to other bikes but a wave to fellow Harley riders!!! Sounds a bit secret society to me, do they roll up there trouser legs too lol. Not while riding obviously

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/10/2010 20:23  

Yes,,, a wave... I have a special wave...

Update Reply
limeninja9 @ 05/10/2010 20:27  

i always nod even at the scooter boys
9 times out of 10 i get one back

Other ducatisti give a kick out of the leg occasionally

i tell ya i think my heads on a spring anyways.. hehhee

heres nodding at you
:-)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/10/2010 20:28  

Sounds like some of the HOG group could be in the masons, roll up trouser legs!!

Update Reply
retrofan @ 05/10/2010 20:38  

The cheeky leg out???? Get that a lot in France... And I give it to cars that move over... The leg out that is.

Update Reply
limeninja9 @ 05/10/2010 21:00  

Hey Lime, thot the leg out wis for kickin the wing mirrors off cars who pull out & don't look 1st.

Oh retro, the masons widnae have them.

Update Reply
whackojacko @ 05/10/2010 21:09  

I do the leg out to drivers too, as well as other bikers on the motorway

Update Reply
brigadoon @ 05/10/2010 21:16  

ah for cars that move over i give them a big left thumbs up
after i have passed them

yeah limen i give them a quick show of the ankles lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/10/2010 21:54  

Nod or hand up to all. Hogs Jap Vespa's Dukes L platers, exept them wee boy nutters on scoots,not bikers are they!Does that make me a snob? over the years tho less & less give the nod back and yeah my fellow Harley twin cam-v-rod riders dont usually bother their arse maybe its cos I'm on an evo and they dont know what it is, dunno! Cars let me thru, give them a ta wave,they might just think about bikes a bit more.

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 06/10/2010 00:06  

I am curious as to why some bikers choose to nod and some not?? Maybe they did'nt see me, maybe they're having a bad day, maybe it's my L plates as one biker once told me But what do you do, are you a nodder or not??? and why?? Perhaps some folk don't nod cos they are busy concentrating on staying alive. Bikers need to keep their wits about them, as you will know better than any other road users, so don't be offended if they don't nod back to you. Maybe some bikers don't nod to those on L plates (of which I still am, no bike anymore tho) in case it puts them off. When I'm lucky enough to get a pillion ride I nod like mad lol. Like the dog on the parcel shelf of a car

Update Reply
Sandi @ 06/10/2010 00:58  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email