MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

nitrogen in bike tyres

nitrogen in bike tyres - Forums [Biker Match] nitrogen in bike tyres - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

nitrogen in bike tyres

Thoughts on this.

Update Reply
yamahama @ 04/10/2010 19:24  

my thought - waste of money air is about 80% nitrogen anyway. only improvement is u dont top em up as often

Update Reply
dunans @ 04/10/2010 20:34  

Nitrogen is simply a more stable gas across a wide heat range thus giving a more even handling characteristic by maintaining a more constant pressure within the tyre as the tyre heats and cools during it's duty cycle.
Trouble is it can be expensive and if you get a puncture roadside it won't make much difference. Not for my daily ride methinks....My rear tyre has a plug in it already.....I fitted the plug to my 100 mile old tyre 2 years ago. Still going strong 7000 miles later. although getting worn now.

Update Reply
Phantom1539 @ 04/10/2010 20:38  

No need what so ever on any normal road going machine Yam. Nitrogen is used in motorsport because of its stability through temperature changes. More tyre shops are using it, trying to con you into thinking it is a better alternative to the stuff we all used since the first pneumatic tyre came along ( also charging a pound per inflation )

Update Reply
GreasyTony @ 04/10/2010 20:39  

No intension of using it as I'm too tight fisted. Just curious to see the reason for using it.

Update Reply
yamahama @ 04/10/2010 21:24  

You could never get a noticable differance so dont bother

Update Reply
JP @ 04/10/2010 21:25  

nitrogen is used because its an inert gas and is non flammable. It is used for aircraft tires for this reason. as aircraft suffer hot brakes it prevents explosions if the wheels catch fire.

Update Reply
Gsadventuregaz @ 07/11/2010 20:39  

They should just fill them with water, then if they caught fire they could put themselves out.

Update Reply
DriftnSlide @ 09/11/2010 02:31  

slow down the bike though with water in them. spent many a happy night out in belfast during my stint there

Update Reply
Gsadventuregaz @ 09/11/2010 21:49  

Aye, Belfast aint as bad as it looks on the news. Your definitely guaranteed a good night out. lol We got some great biking roads over here aswell, and no helicopters watching you.

Update Reply
DriftnSlide @ 12/11/2010 11:24  

I used to work on the 2 pumas that did all the sneeky beeky stuff out there. they have closed it now though. from what ive heard

Update Reply
Gsadventuregaz @ 21/11/2010 16:28  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email