MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Services by Emergency Rider Volunteers

Services by Emergency Rider Volunteers - Forums [Biker Match] Services by Emergency Rider Volunteers - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Services by Emergency Rider Volunteers

Services by Emergency Rider Volunteers.

This is a thing going on in the South where riders volunteer to stand a couple of nights on call and may be asked to deliver stuff between hospitals. It's not like transplant organs or anything that dramatic, but it might be blood, or baby milk, or test results or samples.

I'm seriously thinking of signing up.

http://www.serv.org.uk/

Update Reply
Drum @ 03/10/2010 21:46  

That sounds like a really good idea! Hope they roll it out across the rest of the country.

Update Reply
VFRbabe @ 03/10/2010 21:55  

ill do it but im not takin any to scotland

Update Reply
dunans @ 03/10/2010 21:56  

That sounds brilliant...wish they were doing it up here!

Update Reply
Suzi5551 @ 03/10/2010 21:57  

fantastic idea,............. !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/10/2010 22:02  

I've heard of this, thought it was more national than just the South though. I would definitely sign up and at once every fortnight I'd be able to cope with the lack of sleep ;)

Update Reply
Say_Ten @ 04/10/2010 01:42  

SERV or service by emergency rider volunteers also called the real bloodrunners have been operating for well over 25 years now. in kent ,surrey ,sussex also now i beleave in essex hampshire and slowly spreading. consisting of volunteer riders and car drivers they carry emergency blood at night to local hospitals as well as between hospitals free of charge. no memember gets anything for his time or fuel just satisfaction in having helped save a life. i was a member for a number of years even made chairman for a few of them but circumstances changed so i had to give it up. if you want a worthy cause to put your love of biking and to get that little extra buzz then sign up you do on night in 14 from 7pm-6am unless its changed now. until you actualy get the phone call to go to the transfer point or blood bank depending on the area your a member in and get told at 2am that theres 6units of baby blood coming down for one of your hospitals then get on ya bike ride pick up and get it to the hospital where you see the grateful look in the face of the heamotologist and most often the very grateful thank you as babys chances have now been improved. its a buzz you have to experience to appreciate. sorry to go on its something i feel isnt as well known as it should be, yet on street collections i attended where children come over and give you thier pocket money because one of us had carried platelets for thier brother/sister who had cancer or a grateful mother with baby in arm emptied her purse of all change because it was a blood runner who brought the blood that saved her baby, when asked how she knew she replied the nurse came and told her not to worry the blood runners were on thier way everything will be ok. so any of you who are interested in joining then go to the website signup even think of setting up a section yourself the charity will be more than happy to help you. after all it could be someone you know that is saved by SERV. sorry again folks for rattling on. http:www.serv.org.uk

Update Reply
esusuk @ 07/10/2010 20:43  

This is absolutely brilliant! I can't believe I had never heard of this. I'm going to be in touch with the organisation about promoting this on BikerMatch. Maybe I can send a PM to everyone in that area. I'd be happier if this was national though. www.serv.org.uk

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/10/2010 20:51  

I've never heard of this either. If this was in the north then I'd definitely do it. I'm gonna give them a call.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 07/10/2010 21:50  

ive been thinking about doing some Voluntry work for some time now but never know what i would be able to do ? but if this is spred out across the country then i would definetly do this

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 07/10/2010 22:10  

Same here Nealy. Will keep an eye out for anything ooop north

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 07/10/2010 22:20  

I've already volunteered my services.... early days yet as I'm still going through the sign up part. I'm right on the border of 3 counties, Suffolk, Cambridge and Essex and slap bang between 2 between busy hospitals so hopefully I can get the chance to help this worthy cause.

Update Reply
tiber69 @ 07/10/2010 22:44  

It already is Ooop North!

Check out www.whiteknightsevs.org

Operating in Kirklees & York (Alice), about to roll out in the North East (Suzanne), with willing volunteers in Leeds(Geoff) (but sadly for us, no real requirement - I assume Leeds hospitals' transport services must work 24/7 anyway).
There's also a separate Humberside operation (Wheely?) called Bloodfast, but I know very little about them, I'm afraid.
You do have to have an Advanced Rider qualification to ride for WK though, although dispatchers (overnight phone answerers) and fund raisers are always welcome!! As are Sponsors. (How about it Matt?? You'd get a sticker on a big shiny white bike).
More national info at http://www.bloodbikes.org.uk , but this doesn't seem to be comprehensive.

John
[I've no idea why all this is in italics! I blame Matt!!]

Update Reply
manhill @ 08/10/2010 01:22  

Yes I'd heard of this for years. Didn't realise that it had moved further up North but not over the border yet.

Update Reply
Doh Boy @ 08/10/2010 06:43  

Bloody great idea me thinks

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 08/10/2010 10:07  

thanks Manhill ill look into that bud !

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 08/10/2010 13:16  

Manhill, don't press the Italics button! LOL. I blame YOU! You can also highlight all your text and press the italics button again to mark it normal. You can even press CTRL+I to change to italics mode... which you probably did because the first letter in your message is a capital I.

Update Reply
Matt @ 08/10/2010 14:07  

BTW - is this not using your own bike? Do you use their bikes? Do you get the blue light and can break the speed limit? Wooo definitely sign me up. lol

Update Reply
Matt @ 08/10/2010 14:07  

Matt! ya coulda altered the text for John or did ya forget how? lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 08/10/2010 14:16  

Boss Man set a good example now lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 08/10/2010 14:20  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email