MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

'Speed Sign' Trials for Derbyshire Roads

'Speed Sign' Trials for Derbyshire Roads - Forums [Biker Match] 'Speed Sign' Trials for Derbyshire Roads - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

'Speed Sign' Trials for Derbyshire Roads

Flashing speed-activated warnings set to replace cameras if new trial proves successful. Speed camera operations on Derbyshire County Council roads are set to be reviewed in a 12-week trial to see whether a significant increase in the number of speeding motorists occurs once cameras in key areas have been 'switched off'. Three cameras are set to be covered up over the three-month period; authorities says drivers will be monitored to assess the feasibility of shutting down the cameras on a permanent basis, following government funding cuts announced last month.Rob Hill, manager of Derby and Derbyshire Road Safety Partnership, said:"We can't afford to keep our safety camera operations as they are."Mr. Hill confirmed that if the cameras are made redundant, the yellow housings could still remain in place as a deterrent."Certainly one of the options would be to reduce camera activities but not take away camera houses."Councillors said they were hoping to retain many of the camera sites as a substantial number of the public believe they're beneficial to road safety.The council is also planning to erect a series of less-expensive speed-activated warning signs in a bid to keep down costs.I don't know about you but it seems to me that we are going backwards. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p>All the cost-cutting, especially on our roads, where's it going to end? Stop resurfacing the roads? </o:p> <o:p></o:p>

Update Reply
Sandi @ 20/09/2010 09:28  

Depends on wether you believe speed cameras cut accidents. There are doubtless some locations where they've done some good, but all of them..??

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 20/09/2010 10:08  

It's a pretty well know fact that they just reduce the speed a few yards in front of them.....................

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 20/09/2010 10:45  

<o:p>All the cost-cutting, especially on our roads, where's it going to end? Stop resurfacing the roads? </o:p>

<o:p>I think they've already starting doing that Kwak! </o:p>

Update Reply
Roachy @ 20/09/2010 11:56  

Yep, they've deff allready started to do that over this way! It won't be long before the safest vehicle to go for a blast out with, will be a tractor!!

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 20/09/2010 12:25  

Yep, they've deff allready started to do that over this way! It won't be long before the safest vehicle to go for a blast out with, will be a tractor!!
whats that again???? the safest vehicle sot go for a blast out with is a HARLEY? mmmhhhh not sure on that one depends wether or not you want to get back under bike power or on the back of an AA truck lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/09/2010 16:15  

There's definitely no road resurfacing just north of the Derbyshire border, Sheffield is pothole city. As for replacing speed cameras, I don't know how they know, but I was told (at a speed awareness course just before last xmas ) that the signs that flash your speed at you are the most effective means of reducing speed. Cynically I thought that they would never be introduced cos they don't generate any revenue. I am wrong once a decade so I suppose this is it til 2020

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 20/09/2010 21:34  

LOL Roachy, yea, I think you're right. Johnny, don't be a Harley-ist, Sue will be ok as long as she doesn't want to go round bends (Oo did I say that?) 6ypsy, I beg to differ, I think Huddersfield has that prestigious title.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 20/09/2010 23:27  

Funny how it all comes out in the end.

No funding for cameras so all of a sudden oh well its safe enough after all.
Councillors said they were hoping to retain many of the camera sites as a substantial number of the public believe they're beneficial to road safety. Has anyone ever met any of thes members of the public??? I think if they had been sited in towns and on known accident black spots then people would have been a bit more tolerant off them but on open straight roads. They would have had to employ a lot more little old ladies to knit big hats

Update Reply
micksaway @ 20/09/2010 23:56  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email