MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

John o'Groats to Land's End

John o'Groats to Land's End - Forums [Biker Match] John o'Groats to Land's End - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

John o'Groats to Land's End

I got back from completing John o'Groats to Land's End tonight. So I thought I would tell people. Overall I covered just over 2,000 miles in 8 days. The John o'Groats to Land's End bit was 864 miles and took 3 days but it would have been 2 if my drive belt hadn't snapped near Penrith. Titus (1999 Harley Dyna twin cam)

Update Reply
Spacedaag @ 12/09/2010 01:48  

For the record, the famous signpost at John o'Groats doesn't have any arms on it. You are expected to phone the official photographer but I hardly think he's going to rush out in torrential rain to set it all up for a biker that just wants to get out of there as fast as possible. Land's End is so commercial you can't even ride to that signpost. All in all the end points are classic examples of rip-off Britain and most of the journey is motorway. It's a complete waste of time to make this trip which (I guess) is half the point and I feel very proud to have completed it. My Carbon Footprint is growing - Huzzah!

Update Reply
Spacedaag @ 12/09/2010 01:55  

Most of the journey is motorway well dont use them stick to the A roads

Update Reply
JP @ 12/09/2010 15:28  

I'm from up the North bit and there isn't much in theway of motorways past inverness lol.....infact there isn't much of anything pmsl.... In all seriousness, you should have taken the old route to inverness it takes you up in the hills past Bonar Bridge and Beauly, then down past Lochness to the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge onto Fort William then Glencoe follow the West Highland way lol...past Loch Lomond then Glasgow.... two choices then motorway or the coast route through the Galloway forests and you come back onto the Motorway around South Scotland on the Borders..... what a route views are fantastic everywhere friendly apart from the midgies lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/09/2010 15:37  

This is a trip I've toyed with for some time. If you do use mainly A roads (my considered route takes in some short stretches of motorway just to avoid major conurbations) then you can pretty much head directly north from Bristol all the way through to Edinburgh taking in some of Britains best biking areas as you go.

It's still about 860 miles and would involve a good 16-20 hrs riding time. I could do it in a day I reckon, but two/three days would be far easier.

Just had a bit of a play as well on Mapsource at a western UK route heading up north of Cornwall coast, through Wales and the Lake District, up to Ayr before heading up the west coast of Scotland ... wonderful!! About 1300 miles and a week long holiday.

And what an achievement!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 12/09/2010 16:33  

Is that with or without using the bike trailer geoff?

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 12/09/2010 17:07  

Lol! It would be without the trailer.

The trailer is for when the journey isn't the holiday but the destination is the holiday. Such as a fortnight in the Alps.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 12/09/2010 17:17  

I would love to do this,but like you say Geoff do it over a few days,make a proper weekend away out of it.

Update Reply
julie j @ 12/09/2010 17:41  

I ain't arranging it Julie lol!! I tried arranging a week away in Scotland before. Everyone was really keen until I asked them for their money lol!!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 12/09/2010 17:55  

thats cos you went public!!!!

Update Reply
julie j @ 12/09/2010 18:00  

Very true lol

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 12/09/2010 18:03  

knacks up everything doing that, anything more than a day trip is doooooomed!

Update Reply
julie j @ 12/09/2010 18:22  

Its finding the time I think, to do that journey and see the sights you need a week couple of hundred a day tops otherwise you miss the best.....
but if you are going up past Edinburgh the best route is head west Loch lomond etc up the west or you end up east coast route to Aberdeen...boring or up the A9 mixed dual carraigeway and A roads good scenery but it doesn't have a looking with the West coast route, head up past Loch ness (look out for the monster) then go over west agin to Skye or if you are brave follow up around Cape Wrath and go along the North coast of Scotland come back down the East side of the country now that is a proper way to tour the North of the country..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/09/2010 19:03  

My thoughts entirely Johnny.

My "play" with Mapsource produced the following;

Day 1: 260m Lands End to Crickhowell in Wales; taking the northern Cornish coastal route passing through Newquay, Barnstaple and Minehead before crossing the Severn bridge into Wales and then into the Brecons.

Day 2: 200m Crickhowell to Premier Inn, Chester services; out of the top of the Brecons and then north through Builth Wells and Newtown before heading west towards Snowdonia and back north east via Porthmadog, Blaenau Ffestiniog and Ruthin.

Day 3: 220m Chester to Fleet Bay; hit the motorway to get north of Preston before jumping on the A6 to Lancaster before cutting in to the Lakes and Windermere, then back to the A6 via Kirkstone Pass, over Shap to Carlisle and then head west.

Day 4: Possible rest day in Fleet Bay

Day 5: 190m Fleet Bay to Fort William; up the west coast past the Electric Brae, scoot around Glasgow towards Alexandria and then north via Arrochar, Loch Lomond, Crianlarich and Glencoe.

Day 6: 160m Fort William to Shieldaig and Loch Gairloch; head west along the glorious A87 to Skye, over the tops to Applecross and then follow the west coast road.

Day 7: 220m Shieldaig to John O'Groats; follow the coastal route to Ullapool before heading north to Unapool, then the Sounds of Hands and Balnakeil Bay before following the north coast road to the end.

Sounds good?

The biggest problem with this trip is that you also have to get to Lands End and then back from John O'Groats!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 12/09/2010 19:48  

Just come back the way you went then you get to see the views from the other direction

Update Reply
micksaway @ 12/09/2010 22:55  

so poss 2 weeks then Geoff?

Update Reply
julie j @ 12/09/2010 23:36  

nope because my family live up that way in a town near John O Groats so the trip up would be the adventure then i could visit them whilst I'm up there...then two or three day trip back to Cornwall. I did Aviemore to Helston in Cornwall in a day...not recommended...its a too long a trip..700 miles not nice....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/09/2010 00:30  

It would need to be at least a week and a half Julie, yes.

I know what you mean Johnny. I did about 730 from Germany to Pontefract in about twelve hours; all motorway. Stopped twice in Europe for petrol and to throw food/fluid down my neck, got a half hour rest on the ferry and then stopped again for fuel etc on the A1 a couple of times. (The second time wasn't really needed but the heavens had opened around Doncaster so the waterproofs had to go on) It wasn't nice.

Funnily enough I got home and felt ok so I thought I'd watch a film before bed lol ... put film on, sat down, woke up eight hours later on the sofa lol.

I think next time you do a trip like that Johnny .... you ought to consider using a trailer lol!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 13/09/2010 07:28  

Did this a few years ago with the Beermonsters as a sponsored ride.

Completed it in just over 18 hrs and raised quite a bit of money for the local baby unit. 

Luckily enough I was driving one of the support vans not riding the bikes coz I certainly wouldn't want to have been in the state they were in when they finished.

Always wanted to do it again on a bike but not necessarily in one hit so could be persauded as long as it's done over a few days.

If you're up for it Julie, I am.

Update Reply
vinnie @ 13/09/2010 14:11  

Vinnie!! Hello mate, hope you're doing well.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 13/09/2010 17:26  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email