MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

OSRAM Night Racer - Great Bulbs

OSRAM Night Racer - Great Bulbs - Forums [Biker Match] OSRAM Night Racer - Great Bulbs - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

OSRAM Night Racer - Great Bulbs

Just put in and went for a little run in the dark to Tenbury Wells, much better visibility than my other standard bulb. Highly recommended! PS What a rigmarole to change the bulb on my CBR600F!

Update Reply
darylt @ 30/08/2010 22:58  

Going to try Philips X-treme power.
Ride gave them best buy.
Just came home in the twilight/ dark from Cadwell, std Fazer lights poor.

Update Reply
yamahama @ 30/08/2010 23:12  

"PS What a rigmarole to change the bulb on my CBR600F!"

You get used to it. If you accept having skinned knuckles you can do it without removing any plastics.

Wait until you change the spark plugs!

Could be worse. An old friend of mine blew his headlight bulb on an old R1100rs whilst on a evening fish and chip run to Lancashire. After half an hour of confusion outside the fishy's lights and with two people with torches, we agreed that none of us had any idea how to get to the bulb. So he took his manual from under his seat only to find the words "Headlight bulb replacement: Contact your dealer"!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 31/08/2010 08:20  

"Headlight bulb replacement: Contact your dealer"! I don't understand this with bikes, it's not like a car where if one blows you can get home ok. Was going to try the Philips X-treme as I read that in Ride too, but got a money off voucer to try the night rider.

Update Reply
darylt @ 31/08/2010 10:50  

it's not like a car where if one blows you can get home ok
Many bikes have twin headlamps so then you're in pretty much the same situation as the car.

Has anybody tried HID headlamps on a bike? Either factory fitted or conversion?
I was looking at them but was put off when somebody told me it'd be an MOT failure as they're not approved. Anybody know if that's true?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/08/2010 14:15  

Dont know gary but I have never seen a tester do more than turn on and check alinement that spelt wrong lol

Update Reply
JP @ 31/08/2010 15:16  

I've heard about this. I believe that HID bulbs can only be used in reflectors and lenses designed for them. They should not be used in std headlamps. Why I can't remember exactly, something about beam pattern and dazzle.

Update Reply
yamahama @ 31/08/2010 15:57  

I've found a piece about it on the DfT website. Yes, HID bulbs can only legally be used in units designed for them, the headlight must have an "e" mark stating that they meet ECE 98, and either the headlights or vehicle must have some form of self levelling.
Given how many aftermarket kits are available I'd guess that JP is right in that they don't bother checking.
I think I'll just try those Philips ones first, if they're as good as the claims then they're not far off the brightness of HID bulbs anyway, and much cheaper. Thankfully mine is just a pair of H4s, unlike the standard headlights that are different each side.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/08/2010 17:32  

I've found its not just the brightness .......... its the pattern from the reflectors that make a lot of difference on different bikes.

BTW I had Philips blue 100/80w bulbs in the ZZR1200 and it passed its MOT without a comment.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/08/2010 18:24  

Glad to have been of assistance GB.

A word of warning about putting in higher wattage bulbs. Check that the wiring is up to it, some times a relay is required to stop overloading the switch contacts and the loom. Also check that the alternator is up to it other wise you may put a drain on the battery.

THE DARKNESS IS COMING

Update Reply
yamahama @ 31/08/2010 22:09  

I've done it on all my previous ZZR's, except for this one, never had any issues with either charging or overloading.

It would be much more of an issue with older bikes, which is usually when when you actually need the extra light.

But with the 11's and the 12 the difference in the light pattern was very noticeable, the 12 was much more cut off, preferred the 11's spread.

The 14 is quite sharp too, but for some reason I always want to raise the lights a bit, I find dip is too "short" ..... but then you bugger up the thing for the MOT.

The best standard light I ever had on a bike was my 750 Triumph Daytona, twin round headlights, it was excellent

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/08/2010 23:24  

Anyone changed fazer R6 R1 bulbs and wiring so that one head light is dip and both come on, on high beam?

Update Reply
yamahama @ 31/08/2010 23:30  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email