MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Areas - size matters

Areas - size matters - Forums [Biker Match] Areas - size matters - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Areas - size matters

Is it me, or are some of the areas a bit too large? I have been away on family hols, and just read about the southern area rideout. It is appealing, because it would be good to meet up with other members form the site. However, the reason I joined was to make contact with people in my immediate vicinity, and then hopefully enjoy going for a ride with them. A trip to Hampshire is okay for a ride out, but a bit far as a stating point. This is not to say I don't wish to meet up with the rest of the club/gang/members. But would prefer to have starting points closer to home. I think the site is providing an excellent and unique service, so keep up the good work, but what about smaller areas, we could then arrange through the site to travel into other unknown parts of this land and discover new worlds

Update Reply
daffyduck @ 01/08/2010 08:54  

DD, there aren't any designated 'areas' on BM, and the site is what you want to make of it.
It's just the luck of the draw, I suppose, that there are groups of active members strung out along the M62 and also in the Midlands. There used to be a particularly active bunch in the West Country but they seem to have drifted away. Although we've got plenty of members from the south east, they don't seem to have gelled yet as a group.
Let's hope that some more BM-ers from the south east pop their heads over the parapet and organise some sort of a get-together. Over to you!

Update Reply
Wills @ 01/08/2010 09:31  

i think dd means the area sizes when u click on the areas map. i never use it i find people thru events or profiles

Update Reply
dunans @ 01/08/2010 10:08  

I see your point, Daffy. Organisations like the BMF and some national clubs have tended to designate their regions to coincide with the Government Offices. Harlow, like Hemel Hempstead are part of the East of England GO region which comprises Hertfordshire, Essex, Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk. So it's not even South East let alone South. I agree that Hampshire is a long way to go for a social evening and I have commented on this in another thread.

However, I don't live so far from Harlow and have a caravan near Maldon. I did attempt to organise a get-together at a pub near the caravan which was having bands playing all afternoon with a possible run out from Burnham on Crouch but there was no interest whatsoever. If you want to meet up and others, predominantly in the East of England want a social event or ride out PM me. I have found lots of other things to do these, like the odd track day and events with other bike clubs but I may be able to arrange something in the Autumn, if anyone is interested.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 01/08/2010 11:04  

daffyduck, there's nothing stopping you from organising an event (meet and greet / ride out etc) wherever you find it most convenient for you, a lot of members do just that. Having said that tho I find it odd that a lot of members who have their own bike don't venture too far from their own area. Start a new topic and ask if there's any interest, hopefully others will be up for it and put their name down. Good Luck

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/08/2010 13:41  

While we're on the subject of southerners, can someone answer me a question. I presume we have quite a few members located in That London. That's inside the M25. Do any of you ever meet up? or do you all just sit at home and count your money? In the 3 years i've been on here, i don't remember seeing any London meets.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 01/08/2010 18:29  

Can think of quite a lot of Londoners short of a few bob like everyone else!

Update Reply
Wills @ 01/08/2010 19:18  

Calm down wills. you must remember humour. coming from the home of light entertainment. lol

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 01/08/2010 19:23  

Just count yer hub caps before you go to bed tonight

Update Reply
Wills @ 01/08/2010 19:37  

Never seen a bike with hub caps Wills

Update Reply
micksaway @ 01/08/2010 22:13  

Ah, so you spotted the flaw in my cunning plan!

Update Reply
Wills @ 01/08/2010 22:25  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email