MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Speed Awareness

Speed Awareness - Forums [Biker Match] Speed Awareness - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Speed Awareness

A few while ago, a speed camera clocked me at 49 in a 40. I was offered the opportunity to attend a Speed Awareness course rather than receive 3 points. The course is classroom based instruction and a reminder why we should slow down. I was the only biker in the class of 18, about 50% had broken a 30 limit. The split of male/female was 8/10. The course trainer described himself as an Advanced Driving Intructor. I found the accident statistics most interesting. If 20 people were hit by a vehicle driving at 30mph, 4 would be killed. At 35mph, 11 and at 40mph, 18 - for me, quite a shocking revelation. However, I was astounded by the lack of knowledge others had about the road & came away realising, that as a biker, I am quite a good driver in comparison to Mr & Mrs Average. Unfortunately, I have to admit, most of the dumb comments, came from women. One lady in her 60s seemed to think the anwser to everything was 40mph. Another ate her sandwiches & crisps mid-presentation! There was a huge debate about what a dual carriageway was & most didn't know any of the 8 road signs shown. Will it change my driving? I'm not sure. In the car, I rarely speed - I'm too concerned about the petrol cost! But on my bike, I love the freedom of being on 2 wheels and I like to make progress - what's the point of sitting behind a line of traffic when the road ahead is clear and safe to overtake? The IAM course helped me recognise hazards more effectively and I use some techniques in my car too now. I'm not a speed freak, I just don't want to be looking down at my speedo to check for 2-3 mph over the limit! It's dangerous! At the end of the day, almost everyone suggested that such a course should be given to new drivers. I feel the same about advanced motorcycle courses. Has anyone else attended such a course & what was your experience? Did it change your attitude?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/07/2010 21:18  

Interesting post Pumpkin I haven't attended one of these courses...perhaps as you suggest all new drivers(and complacent older ones) should do. I believe the national speed limit should be increased on open roads, I've been lucky to not have been caught speeding (although I'd struggle now in my van anyway unless there was a tail wind and the kids got out and pushed) but I stick faithfully to speed limits in built up areas, there is as you have pointed out, very good reason for them being in place.

Update Reply
GT63 @ 17/07/2010 21:26  

I'm mostly fairly rigid in 30/40/50 limits but am flexible at 60/70 limits. I think it's having lived under Brunstroms iron fist of terror that makes the limits tend to be watched for fear of the arrive deprived vans :)

Update Reply
steveparry @ 17/07/2010 22:04  

Quite scary to think so many drivers have no clue. It's not as if we were putting our lives under their wheels...

I've been thinking for a while now of doing some sort of advanced training, only been riding a couple of years and think my technique and confidence could definitely be improved, especially around corners.

Update Reply
brigadoon @ 17/07/2010 22:26  

yes, good subject, and i agree with steve. i have been caught speeing twice...99.71 on a remote A road and 103 on the M3 at 2am! a time and place but i dont like to speed where the national speed limit applies.

i esp dont speed in 30 mph zones because i dont like people speeding down my street, so i dont speed down theirs. wish the visiting mancunian drug dealers would feel the same!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/07/2010 10:23  

Dumbries - your comment about speeding down "someone else's street" was one of the trainers points to make. & for brigadoon, or anyone, I would urge to at least enquire about advanced training. Most groups (IAM or RoSPA) will take you on a FREE Taster Ride which gives you an idea for the type of thing you would learn. Membership fees and methods of training varies between groups but they all base instruction on the police motorcycle handbook "Roadcraft" & the training is FREE! http://www.iam.org.uk/do_you_want_to_be_a_better_rider_...rider.html http://www.roada.org.uk/riders/index.htm

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/07/2010 14:14  

I would gladly do a course with the IAM but at a £139 I can't really afford it.....that is a lot of money. I know you get insurance discount etc but its still a lot....If i get some spare cash then I would do it but at the moment too much....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/07/2010 17:18  

I went on 1 last December 57 in a 50 at 4 am lol

Found out a few facts but on the whole nothing i really didnt know already, most folk had an excuse for speeding (in there own heads anyway) i was up front and said it was early in the morning and no cars on road so hey ho.

Only thing that annoyed me was every scenario they used involved the death of a child, supposed to be hard hitting i guess, but if its something you are shown everyday you become harden to it and thats 1 thing i never want to become hardened too

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 19/07/2010 14:35  

I was doing 35 in a 30, i was slowing down from a 40 ,but not slowing fast enough. Went on the course, good info for the first half, as you said most of the drivers did not do that much mileage only a few of use did more than 6k a year, i did about 20k last year. The one who did small milage did not know the signs or limits or road markings . The second half was all about the emotional side, not of crashing a vehicle because of speed but killing a child if you go over the limit by 1 mph and that you are satan in disguise waiting to drive through every speed limit like a race track. Needless to say i was starting to fall asleep when they did a slow motion and analysis of the incident invovling a child that ran into the road without stopping to look at traffic. Is it me or do you still remember the lesson at primary school about crossing the roads and there was less cars on the road especailly at school start and finish times.

Update Reply
thediver37 @ 19/07/2010 16:18  

Somebody speeding down my street would be in trouble. I live in a close, so if they speed past my house they've already crashed.

The death rate figures are interesting, I don't think I've ever seen those numbers before. I'd heard it said that "at 30 they'll most likely survive, at 40 they'll most likely die." That's always summed it up for me.

About the IAM course, it's at least £139: "There may be an additional contribution to be made to cover the petrol costs for the voluntary observer". Considering that my insurance was £81 this year, I certainly can't justify that to slightly reduce my insurance cost.

So I have to get caught speeding to get sent on a free training course? Hmm. Anybody know of any good books?  

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/07/2010 16:21  

Gary its not free it costs you £60 lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 19/07/2010 16:24  

Oh. Well there's no point getting caught speeding then is there! 

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/07/2010 16:30  

You dont get the points on your licence though lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 19/07/2010 16:39  

I went on one just before last xmas, nice prezzie! 48 in a 40 limit, dual carriageway 20 yds past the end of a 70 limit, and it was only 8am so I was still asleep... that's my excuse. I learned something, that I'm not the most cantancarous person in the world, cos this bloke piped up with all my sarcy comments before I had chance. It saved the 3 points on my licence so it was good for that. I never speed in built up areas (20/30 limit) cos my cousin was killed outright by a car not speeding, so that shock tactic wasn't needed, a bit insensitive I thought to be honest!

Update Reply
6ypsy @ 19/07/2010 19:31  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email