MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

insurance help

insurance help - Forums [Biker Match] insurance help - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

insurance help

just crashed me bike :(. was filtering alongside a trafic jam with nothing coming towards me when someone decided it would be a good idea to turn round and go back. pulled straight out in fornt of me to do a 3 pointer ,i slammed on but couldnt quite stop so had to put it down just before it hit his door. not much damage to him i smashed me screen and headlights. exchanged details and i rode it home but dunno what to do now never been involved in an accident before 30 years riding and driving.

do i have to ring my insurance and inform them and how long do i get to ring em. or should i just wait till he does it

Update Reply
dunans @ 10/07/2010 14:15  

Hi Duns! Sorry to hear you've crashed your bike, hope you're ok, that's the main thing! Ring your insurance straight away and give them the details of the crash, irrespective of what the other guy does. Even if it was his fault, you never really know if he will do an "abou turn" and try and deny responsibility afterwards! Either way, you need to report it and get the ball rolling from your end anyway and then your insurance company takes it up with his! Hope this helps! tc x

Update Reply
babyharley @ 10/07/2010 14:25  

soz to hear that duns but glad you are ok, some of these car drivers need their eyes testing, they just dont see bikes do they. But Bh is right on what she said, have you reported it to the police as well as you will prob need a crime number

Update Reply
drobess @ 10/07/2010 14:43  

Hi Duns,

Having an accident recently myself my best advice is call your insurance company for you bike ...... however for personal injury and there will be atleast whiplash ......recovery of clothing etc google White Dalton Motorcycle Solicitors.

They are top notch and even better they are also bikers who are solicitors and have your best interest at top of list.

If you have legal protection there is no fee and if you dont ( i got tricked on renewal of my insurance) they do a no win no fee claim.

Hope this helps Duns and you are ok x

Update Reply
jabecs @ 10/07/2010 14:46  

Why will there definitely be whiplash Jabecs???

Claiming for damage to clothing etc and for genuine injuries fair enough but it annoys me when people simply stick a compo claim in for no reason other than they can!

In answer to your questions Dunans, yes you do need to report it. The truth is that even if you don't, if the other party does then there will be a record anyway.

I wouldn't claim against your insurance though. I'd personally claim against their's.

Presuming you were filtering sensibly ie not going fast, not on the other side of a solid white etc then this accident isn't your fault and the other party is liable.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 10/07/2010 16:08  

Geoff ........ I have sustained whiplash ......and it is in 9 out of 10 cases and that not me talking that is the stats ..... it is shown that even in slow speed accidents that on point of impact that neck suffers trauma to some degree.

My actual insurance claim went through his ....... but personal injury is separate issue

Update Reply
jabecs @ 10/07/2010 16:33  

Aww Dunans , that's crud, I hope the bike is fixable and quickly, it's good that you weren't hurt and good that the driver hung around to give you his details. Hope it works out how you want it to re: insurance.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 10/07/2010 16:34  

Assuming that you're comprehensively insured, you should be able to get the bike repaired on your policy. The thing to do is then claim your excess off the other party - as long as you can show that he (or his insurance) met your uninsured losses then it shouldn't count against you. Obviously if you're not comprehensively insured then you have to make the whole claim off him anyway
Claims for damage to leathers, helmet etc and for personal injury will have to go straight to the other party, so again you may prefer to make the whole claim against him. But whatever you do, you should keep your insurance company informed about what's going on, even if you're not comprehensive.

Update Reply
Wills @ 10/07/2010 16:48  

yeah im fully comp. wasnt going too fast and was inside broken whites untill i slammed on. not fussed about no claims only got one years anyway. the other guy was in a lease car so he got no choice to report it. mine will cost 200 quid for lights and a screen that will be my excess anyway i would imagine so i would have just repaired it myself but i suppose if he has to report it so do i

and yeah im fine u know i bounce well :)

Update Reply
dunans @ 10/07/2010 17:46  

I have to agree with J on this one As an ambulance Technician there will be some hyper-flexation of the neck which can lead to whiplash type injuries. As long as you were on your side of the road you will be OK. if you were filtering and were over the white line then you could find yourself in a legal no mans land. Defiantly put a claim in against the other party's insurance rather than your own.

Update Reply
Phil @ 10/07/2010 20:20  

I also have got muscular injuries to my neck from my accident, I thought at first that it was from havin me head imobilised on the spinal board but with it still hurting 3 weeks later i decided it wernt just that, I have had it checked out by the doctor. My neck was scanned at the time so i know its nothing serious

Update Reply
drobess @ 10/07/2010 22:01  

go to the docs hun.. like i said it was the next day i was in pain

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/07/2010 22:04  

my neck dident go till day an half after crash

Update Reply
laimdan @ 10/07/2010 22:11  

have read all the advice given to you and agree with all that has been said,but also report it to the police with all the details and get an accident report number,in the event the driver comes up with another story of the accident,you have a police accident no with full details,also it would be better if you had a witness,having just been in a similar accident,wish you well,glad to hear you have not been hurt,

Update Reply
whiteairedfox @ 10/07/2010 22:14  

hope your ok dunz, when someone knocked my son off his sv the guy tryed to blame my son even thou it was on c.c.tv which he never knew there had and was his fault but my son report it and it was all sorted out pretty quick xx

Update Reply
yamashirlz @ 10/07/2010 22:24  

As Duns himself said, he bounces very well indeed lol!!

Even so, glad you're ok mate.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 10/07/2010 23:06  

Spine boards and Collars. Not the most comfortable but of kit in the ambulance. they are comfortable for about an hour then start causing pain and masking the real pain. I have been the customer and the shopkeeper when it comes to the spine board. I am very conscious on how the patient is feeling when i now use one.

Update Reply
Phil @ 10/07/2010 23:34  

geoff and pagan have seen me bounce lolz ;)

Update Reply
dunans @ 10/07/2010 23:37  

Sorry to hear whats happened Duns hope your ok, I agree with others tho, report it & then claim off him & do it before he does it to you, filtering is quite legal to do, in fact I did it on my test & was complimented by the examiner for doing so. The same thing happened to Ian when he was filtering ... It was classed as entirely the car drivers fault & his (the car drivers) insurance sorted everything out including claims for personal injury & the car driver was charged & convicted of careless driving

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 11/07/2010 21:31  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email