MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

to harley or not to harley

to harley or not to harley (4) - Forums [Biker Match] to harley or not to harley (4) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

to harley or not to harley

ah... blessed are the Harley Bashers... Anything can be improved with a little tweaking, and if you knew that when you bought it and have budgeted for it, then it isn't a problem. Unfortunately to get a car or 'bike through emissions, safety standards and accountant's approval a lot of compromises are made by the manufacturer to get it into production. If you just 'undo' these compromises by fitting performance exhausts, fuel filters and remapping the engine management you begin to get near the pre-production prototype. And I will let you know I have ridden my Harley in snow, hail, LOTS of rain and on dirt roads!!! (and yes, I have got all the parts that have fallen off/rusted on back order... *cough*)

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 25/06/2008 18:47  

Funny the aversion to mosture though when you consider what started life as a water pump..............

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 25/06/2008 18:48  

It didn't start life as a water pump, the company manufactured industrial powerplants based on their motorcycle engines to get through The Great Depression. (One of only two American cycle manufacturers that did). However, Soichiro Honda used 2-stroke electric generator motors in HIS first bikes... Is THAT what you were thinking about? *snigger*

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 25/06/2008 19:13  

Isn't diversification a wonderful thing lol

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 25/06/2008 19:38  

lol - yip!!

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 25/06/2008 19:39  

I can't speak to much for Harleys as I've only ridden four. Only for short distances as well except for one 300 mile day ride. Some do look nice but I prefer the value that can be had from a Japanese cruiser. What you could always do is sell the eliminator and buy my 2003 Bobber, it's in the classifieds here, check it out! Great looking bike, a one off so there won't be one on every street corner and unless you buy a basic sportser, much less money than a Harley so you can keep the bandit for the days you want to have a different ride.

Update Reply
shooter @ 26/06/2008 06:16  

Yeah The Harley v The Jap Cruiser Lets get this party going LOL Linda

Update Reply
lcotgrave @ 26/06/2008 09:17  

you cant have an ounce of romance in your soul to own a sterile yellow peril copycat!how can yu ride into the sunset on a fn name like yamaha or suzuki!! uugh!!! look at TC! dances[or fiddles] wiv fawns aaaahhh!theres a real Harley man!in touch wiv his inner self!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 26/06/2008 09:36  

keep the ninja for everyday riding and harley 4 playing

Update Reply
bostonbiceps @ 26/06/2008 15:42  

I point my lernerd bikers at the comment I made some time ago lol My bikes got soul a soul sat on top of it roflmao my bike is pretty much std I will keep it that way as long as I can (as there is bugger all wrong with it!) ok I added a rack to carry shopping and pack up for work (then a tow bar as my daughter wants to go on rallies with me got her own tent and with the extra carrying cap I can get a tent to stand up in oh the luxury lol) plus beer runs, i can leave the trailer on site no excess luggage to lug around with me! also log runs into the woods lol

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 26/06/2008 16:15  

"look at TC! dances[or fiddles] wiv fawns aaaahhh!theres a real Harley man!in touch wiv his inner self!!" Aw, thanks TM!! lmao! ( I also crochet...) p.s. the Harley part no. for that fawn is O-DR-488076

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 26/06/2008 17:38  

I am going to distance myself from the my-bike-is-better-than-your-bike debate..... I am a lover, not a fighter! (actually, I am pretty crap at both...) All I would ask is that any opinions are born of personal experience and not just regurgitated third party reviews...

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 26/06/2008 17:42  

Have you lot looked at Ninja's profile?. He's had a Harley for ages now

Update Reply
Sandi @ 26/06/2008 17:47  

I'm very lucky to have both a sports bike and a cruiser. Whichever one I choose to ride I always end up with a big grin on my chops - that's what it's all about, innit?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/06/2008 17:51  

Doh!! Lol... He should change his name to El Hog to avoid confuzzling us with teeny brains..... (it's always interesting to get the ol' Harley bashin' debate going again though...lol)

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 26/06/2008 17:53  

birds of a feather i guess! if i go to where biker's gather[an i say if!]always look for Triumphs or Harleys [dependin what i'm on sniff!!]to park up with !one thing i will say is the conversation with most jap sport bikers aint exactly interestin!!if they say anythin at all!![they do like talkin about sticky tyres!!]

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 26/06/2008 18:07  

Ahh well with you on that TM I may ride a Honda (allways been happy with em, all ways do what i want em to do 2nd to none build quality etc etc...) but do not like Sportsbikes, other than to watch around a track. Crusers mmmm mute point I realy like the look of the Honda Rune (and to some degree the Valkare) but heard bad things about handling so....... I'd be more than happy to own a Triumph or Norton (not on my humble earnings......) I think I'll stick to my naked Honda maintainance is a doddle and I've got an "if it ain't broke" attitude to my personal enjoyment..... I do like BIG crusers though Rocket III or Valkarie, however for sheer luxury Big tourers (yes I will get a Goldwing one day still the best touring iron you can buy even though many have copied the format) *****sits back and waits for indignation and scorn******

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 27/06/2008 09:11  

>>> pours indignation and scorn on HR<<< lol - not really!! The Goldwing is a benchmark bike!! Wondering what your opinion is on the DN-01...?

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 27/06/2008 09:18  

The DN-01 is the Mini Rune isn't it? lol. No all kidding apart I like the look of them both. But the DN-01 I like more just on looks Judge Dread meets Art Nouvo? DN-01 I like the look of but has been slated for handling more than almost any other Honda in the last 20 years or more, but if you want a handeling bike (you are not getting it) I suppose. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8vToMD7l8Q (DN-01) The Valk/Rune is same bike though...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6PJQ-Gpc-w

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 27/06/2008 09:39  

I just wrote a big long spiel and went an deleted it and i can't b ar*sed doing it again. if you like tractors el ninja get a Harley!!

Update Reply
eddietheardvark @ 27/06/2008 12:29  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email