MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

decision time

decision time - Forums [Biker Match] decision time - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

decision time

cant decide what to do, .been offered my bro's honda cb 500 with nearly 27000miles ont clock......it needs a starter motor...and possibly new front tyre(slow puncture) for £300...was looking for something faster than my 535 virago, been told the honda will be faster...?? will it?

Update Reply
uglyducklin @ 02/06/2010 22:17  

Should be quicker and easier to ride quick, got to be cheap at that, second hand starter, could get the tyre repaired and your of, could you get a test ride to see what you think

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 03/06/2010 00:11  

Well for the money you could bung a new tyre on, secondhand starter motor, MOT it and try it out, if you don't like it put it back on the market for a couple of hundred quid more than you paid and move on to the next ride. Thats providing the bike is in good nick apart from what you have told us. Should be worth 700 quid all sorted out, I reckon 500 to put it on the road.

Update Reply
DG99 @ 03/06/2010 09:05  

Make sure it's a comfy riding position if you've been used to a custom style, I'm not sure what style the CB is??? Good luck with whatever you decide

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 03/06/2010 11:29  

Cheers for advice... bill, DG99, and BOBKAT, going to see it tonight, got a feeling i'm going to be its new owner

Update Reply
uglyducklin @ 03/06/2010 14:31  

Go girl! Let us know how you go xx

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 03/06/2010 14:37  

I'm assuming you mean the 1990s CB500 twin and not the old CB500 four?
MCN quote the CB at 57bhp/120mph and the Virago at 38bhp/100mph, so not hugely faster but certainly enough to notice. It's a "street bike" style so not as laid back as the Virago, but should still be comfortable enough.As DG said, £500 to put it on the road so should be worth the money. Unless you need to sell the Virago to pay for it, I'd say just get it and see how you get on.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/06/2010 14:38  

the honda will be more controlable and more fun i would have thought ment to be quite a sporty ride for a mid sized bike too i would sertainly have a go on it first try it out

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 03/06/2010 17:21  

thanks guys, its a 95 cb 500, have been to see it/sit on it...can just touch the floor so thats ok, its got a flat front tyre and i think needs a new rear one too, body work great as been garaged, needs starter motor and a good service so going to get a quote from a 'man that can' and all being well its mine riding back home on the virago was a little sad as i realised i will have to sell him soon bless , how sad lol having feelings for a bike

Update Reply
uglyducklin @ 03/06/2010 21:55  

We all have feeling's for our bikes 'uglyducklin', but us blokes will always deny it lol.
Oh sounds a bargin aswell, good service wouldn't hurt either

Update Reply
SPESH @ 03/06/2010 22:10  

thanks cytm....nice to know i'm not alone lol

Update Reply
uglyducklin @ 03/06/2010 22:46  

Are but has your bike been named for you? lol, mine has been called 'Dyliss', and if you've seen me bike thats not a good name lol

Update Reply
SPESH @ 03/06/2010 22:58  

Can't your brother sort out the bike for you? Men that can normally want a decent rate of pay, anything that keeps the price down has to be a good thing. Perhaps even asking the kind souls near you to help out for a cup of tea and a bun. Putting a starter motor on isn't rocket science. Neither is a service on one of those things, crikey its only oil and filters, quick look at the plugs, thats about it. Don't let someone quote you an exorbitant amount to sort it out.

Update Reply
DG99 @ 03/06/2010 23:36  

cytm..peeked on your profile to nosey at dyliss, mmmm..? DG99...as much as i love my brother he's thick at st when it comes to mechanical stuff...hoping to get 'mates rates' with local chap who does bikes...will ask around some mates too, cheers

Update Reply
uglyducklin @ 04/06/2010 00:21  

Ah fair comment girl, probably a good thing not to let him near it then.

Ask on here you never know. Its worth a punt

Update Reply
DG99 @ 04/06/2010 08:40  

hi UD i have a 2006 cbf500 and have no mechanical knowledge at all but i managed to service it myself with some supervision,hardest bit was getting it into the paddock stands,a bit of muscle will be required,I`m reet feeble softie and remember you will need to lift the tank off so try to have it empty if poss, think all the tools you will need should be with the bike so give it a go! good luck!

Update Reply
julie j @ 04/06/2010 19:51  

Thanks for advice everyone, ...DG99 unfortunately i dont know anyone on here well enough to ask..., Julie...cheers hun for your advice will try to aquire a few more tools(only have 1 spanner ) and thats not adjustable lol and i'm sure i'll get stuck in and be tinkering away soon

Update Reply
uglyducklin @ 05/06/2010 19:56  

well UD you just need to get in touch with julie j you both yorkshire.. cant be that far.. she'll sort it for you and you'll both have a new mate!!

Update Reply
nawe @ 07/06/2010 18:59  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email