MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

bump?

bump? - Forums [Biker Match] bump? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

bump?

what does it mean when folks put "bump" in a forum.. new to these things.. and what's IMO while i'm at it.. ta muchly

Update Reply
nawe @ 17/05/2010 21:18  

bump just brings the topic back to the top so peeps can see it

Update Reply
drobess @ 17/05/2010 21:22  

hi ya mate the bump is just someone "bumping" a topic that hasn,t been posted on for a while so it goes to the top of the list in active topics ! IMO do u mean lmao ??? "laughing my ass off" hope this helps

Update Reply
bigned @ 17/05/2010 21:23  

IMO = Im My Opinion HTH..= Happy to Help :o)

Update Reply
Karey @ 17/05/2010 21:25  

Because topics are listed in the order of the latest posts, just posting "bump" brings them back to the top. It's sometimes claimed that it means Bring Up My Post, but IIRC bump never started out as an acronym.
IMO usually means In My Opinion. Also IMHO for In My Humble Opinion.(And IIRC is If I Remember Correctly)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/05/2010 21:27  

well thank you all.. i'm a computer dinosaur slowly lumbering towards the 20th century.. i've heard we in the 21st century now.. god help me when i get there!!!

Update Reply
nawe @ 17/05/2010 21:30  

there u go been on forums for years and i didn,t even know what IMO meant !!! lol suddenly there is a lot of posts that make more sence !!!!

Update Reply
bigned @ 17/05/2010 21:47  

dont forget FTR = For the record

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 17/05/2010 21:57  

I thought there was an FAQ for this. lol

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 17/05/2010 22:00  

stop it now...me poor likkle old brain has reached it's daily capacity LOL LMHO ROFL.... hmmm..

Update Reply
nawe @ 17/05/2010 22:09  

I thought that there would be FAQ, but I couldn't see one. I didn't look very hard though.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/05/2010 22:10  

FAQing 'ell not another un? lol B.U.M.P. stands for Bring Up My Post Refresh (my invention for the forums) just means the same as a bump but it's not the person who posted the thread that's bumping it. If anyone wants a list of acronyms that are in general use, all over the internet, PM your email address and I'll send you one.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 17/05/2010 22:33  

Head over to our sister site, www.bikechat.net where you can find an acroynms database with about 8,000 records in it! BUMP is to bump up the topic that has been mentioned already.... HOWEVER it's often considered very bad internet etiquette and is normally only done by the staff/moderators of a website in order to bump up topics that we consider to be of high importance. Some websites (Not BM) will rap you badly for bumping a topic, especially if a topic has been dead for a while. Here on BM topics are just locked after a couple of months (someone bumping a topic 1 day before it locks would be told off for sure though)

Update Reply
Matt @ 17/05/2010 23:32  

Matt, love, why the eck would we want 8,000? Only a handful of standard acronyms are used on a regular basis, in the chat room and forums, and the ones that were provided by BM, (a long time ago) one of them was Americanised. LMAO came up as Laughing my darn head off Also one had to leave the chat room in order to view the acronyms then when one came back the text colour had to be reset.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 17/05/2010 23:38  

It's just a database i found, not something I built. It's to be queried, not printed as an extensive list. So if you're wondering what one is, just use the tool on BikeChat to figure it out. I might build it into the BM website soon also cos it's been asked for before I know.

Update Reply
Matt @ 18/05/2010 01:43  

hey nawe, I'll bet you wish you'd never asked PMSL and thats another one to work out T.M.F.A. (Too Many F**king Abbreviations) ha ha

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/05/2010 02:02  

WTF!!

Update Reply
DTR30 @ 18/05/2010 12:43  

As a nearly newbie I found the previous details useful and now can follow things - can someone explain how to post a new topic/thread - thank you

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 19/05/2010 14:03  

BobK - go to the top of the page - click on All Forums, then click on the forum you want to start a new topic in. Then go to top of page again & click on New Topic

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 19/05/2010 14:19  

Thank you, much appreciated

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 19/05/2010 16:18  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email