MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Rear view helmets

Rear view helmets (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Rear view helmets (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Rear view helmets

I don't think it's a hoax, I've worked with metal plated plastics/reflectors and light diffusers and the system appears perfectly plausible. It's basically just a variation on the periscope.

I'm pretty sure that the relatively low level of light transmission and diffusion due to the plastic reflective surfaces and rear lens would make headlight glare less of a problem than it is in your rear view mirrors.

For sportsbikes with extremely crouched rider positions - unless the back of your head is actually lower than your back - I'm pretty sure it would be perfectly possible for the optical properties of the rear lens to be altered to adjust the view angle lower so you could get at least some rearward vision, albeit somewhat distorted... of course, if you wore that helmet on a cruiser or a dirtbike you'd only see your rear seat and mudguard...

...and at this point I'm in danger of getting myself confused with someone who actually gives a damn, because having said all that I personally can't really see it being terribly useful - In 33 years of riding I've never had an accident where I thought that poor rearward visibility was in any way a contributory factor.

I have been unfortunate enough to have been hit from behind FOUR times - always whilst stationary, at lights/junctions/roundabouts - and I'm pretty certain that being able to see the idiots responsible would not have have helped in any way :(

...oh, and the helmet itself is ugly as a hell :)

Update Reply
Warhed @ 18/05/2010 14:52  

Hmm... it occurs to me that something like this helmet might be useful for paintball or laser tag :)

Update Reply
Warhed @ 18/05/2010 14:54  

Like your 'lid may be useful for paintballing' line Warhed As for this rear view lid, personally I wouldn't want to see the trail of destruction I'm going to leave in the next few weeks of learning - the whole of the countrys been warned......

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 18/05/2010 16:32  

Good luck Nutkin you will do well I'm sure - not at all relieved I live over the border - only kidding all the best x

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 19/05/2010 14:18  

Nut you will do JUST FINE !!

I know it & you do to, will have to arange a school reunion when you pass ... bet that would shake some of em up the 2 of us rocking up on bikes

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 19/05/2010 20:17  

Hate to tell you BK that its stored not far from the border, and I'm initially starting my training there over a few weeks............ then its Hull's turn....

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 19/05/2010 20:20  

Looks interesting, but like others I would want to try one out first. NK as long as you don't stray toooo far from the border me and BK will be safe..........only kidding.

Update Reply
Doh Boy @ 19/05/2010 22:03  

yes, a reunion would be a laugh - I'm not the quiet, timid, bulied, billy no mates little rock chick I was, they wouldn't recognise me lol !! Wonder if you could get suspended at a reunion for slapping the lass who pulled your hair....... ?!! Only one way to find out lol !! cheers shell... the way I'm going it could be this year, Rich is gently encouraging, cajoling me on... only thing that could mess it up would be the neurologists report in a few weeks, see what happens..... don't believe you will ever be safe doh, as well as hitting everything in sight and having the ability to trip over 'air', be reports of me hitting a stone wall and going over the top - new breed of flying squirrel, haha - maybe my new name should be Malcolm of Ogri fame

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 19/05/2010 22:39  

getting back to the original subject!!! like to inform you that i have finally got the helmet and i'm loving it lol
since i don't do pillion and have a compfy cruiser haha i have no problems with it xx

Update Reply
Santa3644 @ 22/06/2010 19:59  

Hmm... interesting idea but I am not totally on board yet. Would like to try one though! Please let us know any good/bad points? Just out of interest, does your helmet have any approval stickers/marks on it? (BS 6658 or ECE 22.05)

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 22/06/2010 20:23  

can you post a piccy of it?

Update Reply
earthwind @ 22/06/2010 20:26  

@ TeeCee - yes it has the sticker, you can lower the mirror or raise it with a single srew (allen key provided with it) and you can then tilt it to you hearts delight lol

takes a day riding to get used to it but it is great! Unfortunately not in HD haha

@earthwind check it out on www.reevu.com

I had to wait so long cos I wanted the matt black and I also got black visors for it (2 - one for front and one for the rear lol), dead easy to change the visors too

Update Reply
Santa3644 @ 22/06/2010 21:39  

cool

Update Reply
earthwind @ 22/06/2010 21:54  

Interesting. How far back in the distance would say you could see? And what's the clarity like? Could you see plod sneaking up several hundred yards back?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/06/2010 22:46  

A while ago I looked at visors for my helmet as mine had loads of scratches on it, it would have been cheaper to buy a new helmet, so I wonder what's the price of a replacement visor for this 2-visor lid?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 23/06/2010 23:02  

@kwak - the spare visors were about 10 GBP for the smaller one (back) and 15GBP for the front one @Strangely Sane, the clarity is good and i'm sure it is a convex mirror too

Update Reply
Santa3644 @ 28/06/2010 13:44  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email