MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

No Fling today.

No Fling today. - Forums [Biker Match] No Fling today. - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

No Fling today.

I hope no ones goin be flying today as they've just closed UK airspace untill 7 tomorrow morning. I'll just sit and wait then. Bloomin volcanos!

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 15/04/2010 15:13  

I've just been reading what the ash does to aeroplane engines, they really did need to close the airspace to prevent crashes.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/04/2010 15:47  

To be honest though BG if you look at the satellite images it was more like a puff of smoke coming from the volcano and by the time it gets over here there's probably one part volcano in 10 billion so a bit of health & safety gone crazy me thinks!

I'm glad i'm not living too close to the airport here or it would be closed permanently with the clouds coming from my house

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 15/04/2010 16:55  

a fling blues you sure you dont mean flying

Update Reply
drobess @ 15/04/2010 17:55  

Hope theres no backlog as flying out to Spain early Sat morning ( will be really pi***d) off as only short break. Bloody Volcanoes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
Eltel @ 15/04/2010 17:57  

I didn't get one of them either. lol

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 15/04/2010 17:58  

it indeed is bad for planes! Even just a small concentration can have drastic consequencies. It's like fine sandpaper in the air, and when a plane is moving at 700 km/h it can do a lot of damage (maybe a small concentration wont stop an engine - but it could do, and it definitely will ruin the paintwork)

Update Reply
Matt @ 15/04/2010 18:27  

Well if there's a chance of chafed paintwork then thats more than enough to ruin the plans for tens of thousands of people!

Eltel a girl I know was meant to be flying from Leeds today and they've told her she should be out on a flight tomorrow lunchtime so the delay shouldn't be too bad hopefully!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 15/04/2010 18:30  

As an airframe engineer i can tell you that it's nasty stuff. It's highly corrosive to an aircraft structure. the ash is so fine it gets into the cooling holes in the turbine blade which then over heat annd knacker the engine with disasterous consequences.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 15/04/2010 18:34  

Try putting a teaspoonful of 000-grade grit into your engine oil and see what happens. Then imagine it at 500-odd knots and 30,000 feet up with 400 passengers on board.

Update Reply
Wills @ 15/04/2010 18:43  

What's the fuss that's what parachutes are for lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/04/2010 18:55  

Apparently the last time that one erupted it did so for a year, will be interesting to see how it pans out!

Update Reply
umii @ 15/04/2010 19:18  

Well they can't shut the airports for a year umii so lets hope it chills out a bit!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 15/04/2010 20:07  

Can you imagine no flights for a year lol

The global warming extremists will have a field day.

The beaches at margate will be overflowing lol

Update Reply
smokey_1_uk @ 15/04/2010 20:23  

As long as they are flying again by 17th December I dont care wot the planes do... and if all else fails I can always ride over to Greece for Christmas (although with my navigation skills I would need to leave a week on Saturday) hmmm

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 15/04/2010 21:42  

Dont you just love a little bit of drama haha .. Suppose its ok if its not you.. Bet the car washers out there are hoping the ash comes down over uk

Update Reply
adrenaline_Junkie @ 15/04/2010 22:50  

BB said As an airframe engineer i can tell you that it's nasty stuff. It's highly corrosive to an aircraft structure. the ash is so fine it gets into the cooling holes in the turbine blade which then over heat annd knacker the engine with disasterous consequences Agree there mate.... As an aircraft engine technician working for the same company I can say that what blues says is no understatement.... fly through that and you could kiss yer ass goodbye..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/04/2010 23:31  

As Im quite attached to my ass I think a few extra days in the sun are called for till it all blows over (literally) Im sure if the airlines could get planes up they would as it must be costing them a fortune

Update Reply
micksaway @ 16/04/2010 00:26  

i am well miffed about this..my mother in law is due to fly out to miami this eve to meet up with a cruise ship and spend a month away...she might not be goin now sods law as i was lookin forward to not seein the old crow for a month lol

Update Reply
reaper_soul_man64 @ 16/04/2010 10:46  

He's a right b**tard that sod is !!! Airports are closed till 1 tommorow now !! Unlucky :/

Update Reply
adrenaline_Junkie @ 16/04/2010 11:08  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email