MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Akrapovic Exhaust - Road Legality

Akrapovic Exhaust - Road Legality - Forums [Biker Match] Akrapovic Exhaust - Road Legality - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Akrapovic Exhaust - Road Legality

Hi - A complete newbie to the biking world. So forgive me for any silly questions as I have very little knowledge about parts or modifications.I am looking and buying a Suzuki SV650 S which has had a Akrapovic Exhaust fitted. My question is is the system road legal?Please see a photo of the bike in my profile images.I am testing the bike tomorrow so would appreciate some speedy responses Many thanks.

Update Reply
dapapapa @ 09/04/2010 21:03  

Heyyyy there ... NICE BIKE !! LOVE the colour ... yup guess what I have & the same colour hehehehe

www.jhsracing.co.uk/akrapovic.htm

Full write up on the exhaust, road legality depends on which is fitted by the looks of it

However its worth noting ...

All Akrapovic systems will increase power output of your motorcycle over its stock system, but to gain the most benefit we recommend that the system is installed by one of our expert fitters and the bike is then checked on our dyno.

So could well affect insurance

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 09/04/2010 21:09  

As I understand it a silencer intended for road use should be BS or E stamped to show that it meets noise regulations, those intended solely for track use should say "Not for road use" or similar. If it isn't stamped at all then it may well still be legal depending on how loud it is. This is complicated a bit because many stamped cans have removable baffles, so can actually still be illegal with their baffles removed.
That particular bike appears to have a race can, but that could still be legal if it's baffled.Considering how many people run with straight through pipes and don't seem to get any grief I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/04/2010 21:18  

The latest range of Akrapovic exhaust systems are available with either straight-through race silencers or 'road legal' end cans. The road legal end cans feature removable baffles for track days and racing use.The Akrapovic Range

SP Series: The SP series silencers are the entry level product from Akrapovic. High quality titanium, ROAD LEGAL silencers feature stainless steel end caps and internals, as opposed to titanium caps and internals - making the cans easier on the wallet without compromising on looks and performance. Choice of titanium or carbon sleeve. The road legal baffle is removable for track use.

Slip-on/ Bolt-on: A range of performance-enhancing end cans manufactured to the same exacting standards as the full systems. Road-legal, with removable baffles for track & race use. The slip-on end-can uses clamps to attach to the header pipe, while - as its name suggests - the bolt-on range bolts to the header. Available for most of the latest supersport machines, this silencer range brings a level of quality hitherto unseen in this market.

Racing Line: This range of systems is designed to give the maximum power increase to standard and race tuned motorcycles alike. The racing range features conical header tubes and crossover tubes where appropriate. The performance is exceptional, and is concentrated towards the upper end of the power range.

Evolution: The Evolution line is the flagship of the Akrapovic range - it is simply the finest exhaust system available, specifically designed for professional race use at the highest level. This configuration features a multitude of complex features designed to complement a race tuned engine. Conical header tubes, CNC machined joints, lambda sensor fitting (if required on your model), plus pipe work, in most cases, manufactured from titanium.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 09/04/2010 21:21  

Oh, and that can says Remus on the side of it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/04/2010 21:22  

oohh nice notice lol .. in that case

www.motorbike-world.co.uk/frame-detail.asp?PAGE=/remus-motorcycle-exhausts.htm

Click each pic for detailed description

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 09/04/2010 21:29  

I think it's a Remus Hexacone with a non-standard link pipe to pull it up higher.http://www.moto-horn.pl/sklep/images/produkty/suzuki-SV-650-2004-remus-hexacone.jpgIt also appears to be missing its baffle so probably isn't going to be road legal without it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/04/2010 21:37  

No, I'd too say not road legal. But the rest of the bike appears fine so you'd probably be ok. However, you'll find that most bike dealers could order you the baffle (db eater), thus making it legal.

One other aspect though is legally your indicators must not be obscured and a copper could argue that your rear right hand indicator is. Chances are if they were to do you they'd simply issue a VDRN (Vehicle Defect Rectification Notice) though, but I could be wrong.

This would give you 14 days to sort the ssue, have it checked and approved by a garage and return the form to a Police station.

Being new to the biking game the exhaust could affect your insurance premium also.

One thing I would say is don't take the bike to Switzerland without the db eater, because you could get hit for an on the spot 500 swiss franc fine. Believe me, I know

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 09/04/2010 22:35  

An excellent topic with excellent responses. Let us know your opinions on the test ride yea?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 10/04/2010 08:30  

I say "loud pipes saves lifes" but i would say that cut down race cans on my tl mmmmmm and very small number plate . Burn rubber not your soul lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/04/2010 15:19  

welcome to the site mate, and the biking community. Glad you got some good responses here

Update Reply
Matt @ 30/04/2010 15:52  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email