MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Old Triumph question

Old Triumph question - Forums [Biker Match] Old Triumph question - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Old Triumph question

I'm hoping somebody here can help, or at least point me in the direction of somebody who can.I've inherited an old Triumph and I'm trying to identify what model it is, and what trim it should have. It has a 1960 duplex frame, but it's a 1951 6T Thunderbird engine with a T120 Bonnevile head. It doesn't have the nacelle or rear wheel enclosure of a Thunderbird, but they may just have been removed.Does anybody know if there are records to look up what model it originally was from the frame number?The log book just says Motorcycle in the model category, which isn't any help at all.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/02/2010 20:22  

Try this as a starting point GB

www.britishonly.com/tech/tips/framenumbers.asp

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 26/02/2010 20:39  

The Triumph owners' club has a dating service which non members can use. Catch is that they cost to non members is the same as joining up for a year. On t'other hand it may be money well spent.
www.tomcc.org/dating.aspx.

Update Reply
Wills @ 26/02/2010 20:52  

Thanks.
That's a more detailed version of the table I've already seen, so unfortunately still doesn't give me the model.I think the frames were all the same, so I wonder if I should just say it most closely matches a Bonneville, and work on it being that.Or would that upset the purist restorers? ;-)-Gary.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/02/2010 20:53  

I tried joining the Triumph owners club, but they wanted to know the model first. I've emailed them to see if they'll help and am currently waiting for an answer.
-Gary.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/02/2010 20:55  

Gary, I suggest you PM jerrylee who's a whiz on HArley's and old Brtish bikes. He might be able to help you. I was at his place this morning helping him with an old BSA C15 and he also has an old Triumph ready and waiting to be worked on. They're a bit of a passion of his.

Update Reply
Blueboy955i @ 27/02/2010 21:31  

Thanks Blueboy, I've sent a message to see if he can help.I wasn't expecting this part to be such hard work. -Gary.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/02/2010 23:36  

Hi, sent you a pm

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/03/2010 11:14  

In case anybody is interested, I've now found the info I was after.
The bike started life as a 1960 model Triumph T110 Tiger, made in 1959 and shipped to the dealer on 3rd November.It's going to be many months before it's rebuilt and back on the road, but I now have a mental image of what it's going to look like. :-)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/03/2010 22:39  

nice one GB ..or should i call you Sherlock

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 29/03/2010 22:41  

Hi GBeldon,
For info on Classic Triumphs check out: msmotorcyclesuk.com

Update Reply
M.S. @ 20/04/2010 01:35  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email