MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Paul's doing his 'Big Bike Test'

Paul's doing his 'Big Bike Test' (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Paul's doing his 'Big Bike Test' (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Paul's doing his 'Big Bike Test'

He'll be fine Matt, you know you're showing signs of old age when ya start nattering don't ya?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/02/2010 22:55  

Good luck Paul keep us updated and let us have any tips you may pick up along the way... Mine is dont leave the sidestand down when your trying to start it like little ole me LOL

Matt its a good job your miles away cos you would be telling him something different every time...updating his riding like you do the site ... haha!

Moony does a quick exit before Matt see's this and bannishes off the threads forever. I love the guy really, honest, Honest
x

Update Reply
moonstone @ 24/02/2010 23:18  

From my training the bits I remember that MAY or MAY NOT help you are..

Shoulder check when:

- Changing Lane - They're called blind spots for a reason.
- BEFORE SETTING OFF! < Major one that people forget
- When you come into a new speed limit zone 30 > 40 incase of any overtaking traffic, you need to check so you're not cutting them off by causing danger for you or them.
- Before making a turn - incase some n*b head wants to overtake you whilst you're turning.
- When you see a bendy arrow that says over taking cars must get back in their lane :) - Check because you may not see a car pushing in from the side and cause a hazard = bad news
- Stay Center of Lane - Avoid giving any false signs to traffic by thinking your wanting them to overtake you and to give yourself a better view of the road and it's just generally more safer.
- BEFORE turning off a round-about

Some more tips:

- NEVER PARK infront of drives = Instant Fail
- NEVER leave indicators on, when he tells you to turn them off = Instant Fail
- Don't panic because you'll make mistakes and cause dangers for yourself
- Watch road markings and signs
- Give yourself enough room to turn and take your time, going wide on turns won't result well.
- ALWAYS keep your foot on the break lever NOT the otherway around.

Keep to the speed limit and you'll be fine.

Update Reply
Paul @ 11/03/2010 23:38  

Good Luck !! Just keep your cool and I'm sure you'll be fine

Update Reply
Karey @ 11/03/2010 23:49  

Paul you'll be fine mate, just get out there and do it, you know it all now just relax and do it naturally....all the shoulder checks, positioning everything, you been doing it for ages just do the same stay relaxed...its in the bag...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/03/2010 23:58  

Good luck for today Paul & let us knwo how you got on??

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 12/03/2010 07:19  

Paul I'm assuming you passed and are still riding around with a big daft grin on your face. Next time you pop in here let me buy you a virtual cuppa.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 19/03/2010 08:07  

Heyyyy I passed on Thursday... Today I picked up my beautiful new bike being a 600 bandit nice and shiny red with some cheeky modifications :) and a lovely sounding can.

Been busy getting use't to the power/weight and having no problems at all. Feels awesome! except when a pilion got on and it crushed my nackers against the tank.. :( painful times felt like being physically sick..

but i've been told that matlock in derby is nice to ride to by my hairdresserl so yeah.. i passed :D

Update Reply
Paul @ 02/04/2010 20:08  

well done little bro! Good to have another biker in the family. Ride safe and don't push your bounderies. And be careful with a pillion, it's totally different. And..and.. and... lol... make sure your insurance knows of any mods, cans etc or else it's INVALID and you'll get a massive fine/points for having no insurance (probably loose ur licence also as it's within 2 years of passing)

Update Reply
Matt @ 02/04/2010 20:11  

I'd claim ignorance.

No make on it and it's LEGAL so it's not modifying the BHP in anyway so how am I sopose to know it's custom :)

modifications like Rental handlebars, scott oiler, bar end mirrors, jacked up, dual headlights, and rear mudguard thingy forgot their name.

Update Reply
Paul @ 02/04/2010 20:14  

Congrats Paul, well done, but listen to big bro ... lol

Its not worth losing your licence to not tell your insurance co of mods that you do, apart from the fact of having to go back to walking, you will get killed by insurance co's for years after you get it back.

Saying that, enjoy it

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 02/04/2010 20:36  

serious paul, if you have an accident then the insurance company will say that the handlebar isn't standard and so may have affected your ability to ride comfortably. You have to tell them every single difference from standard!!!

Update Reply
Matt @ 02/04/2010 21:52  

Congrats Paul - good job! I got an on line quote & filled in ALL my modifications but they weren't listed when the policy arrived so I rang them up to enquire & was told "Oh we can't insure you with all those mods" so the advice you have been given is solid & saving a few quid now would pale into insignificance if you were unfortunate enuf to have to claim and found out after the event that it was void. Anyway enuf doom & gloom, hope the weather picks up so you can get out there and enjoy the fruits of your labours!

Update Reply
Scorpio54 @ 02/04/2010 23:50  

Going to take friend out on back tomorrow for bit of pilion practice. Seats very slippy for pilion.

Update Reply
Paul @ 03/04/2010 21:05  

In the eyes of the law ignorance is no defence. Congratulations Paul, may you always enjoy safe and happy riding You can get some special rubber-like stuff to attach to the bike seat so it's non slip. Someone help me out here, what's it called?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 03/04/2010 21:33  

rubber?

Update Reply
Matt @ 03/04/2010 23:31  

Nice one Paul, congrats.. We might seem like a bunch of mithering idiots going on about the mods & insurance..But serious..I read in MCN of a guy who fitted non standard brake pipes, wrapped his bike up & ins didn,t want to know when garage listed parts for ins co... As Matt said,even bar end mirrors can invalidate..check with ins before it,s too late!!! Ride safe & enjoy.

Update Reply
old red @ 04/04/2010 20:31  

im just reading through this about insurance & am a little worried about the modification/additions on my vtx as i didnt know what was standard when i bought it . i now know its got many additions ,lights/screen/deflectors/paniers/back rests/rack/& many chrome additions. the bike is insured with ebike (esure) who i will be calling asap. if i have to cancel this policy ,can anyone recommend a company that will insure with all these additions at a reasonable cost ? thanks ,Andy

Update Reply
ASENR @ 04/04/2010 21:04  

*slap* Matt for his sarcasm, I can't stand sarcasm Andy, perhaps start a new topic then folk will see your request easier?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 04/04/2010 22:13  

I'm 17 I can't risk to NOT have insurance at all since having insurance is better than no insurance at all and I can't just go an cancel my insurance since it's not as cheap as you lot it'll cost me like £400-500 with other companies not something I can just splash out on. I'm third party only.

Update Reply
Paul @ 05/04/2010 11:39  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email