MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Paul's doing his 'Big Bike Test'

Paul's doing his 'Big Bike Test' (4) - Forums [Biker Match] Paul's doing his 'Big Bike Test' (4) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Paul's doing his 'Big Bike Test'

Geoff what you seem to have missed is Paul listed his mods

modifications like Rental handlebars, scott oiler, bar end mirrors, jacked up, dual headlights, and rear mudguard thingy forgot their name.

These are not just a new colour, they are things that will invalidate his insurance! He knows this from the quotes he has had.

And as much as he tries to be blazay about it I am hoping that inside there is SOME common sence and Paul realises what he plans to do is not just silly but shows a level of sulk.

Paul I do understand I ride an SV650 sport, it's my 1st big bike been on a 125 for a year and now ride an unrestricted SV650, not cheap for me either.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 07/04/2010 06:46  

"All irrelevant when you have purchased your insurance and their terms and conditions clearly state that all modicfications have to be declared if not it will invalidate said insurance"

But it doesn't say this. It says "could" or "may". Legally there is a huge difference.

And I didn't miss that Paul had listed his mods, I was referring to BJ's post. I wouldn't list mods on a forum, if I had any! My point is where do we draw the line with this and are we all simply bending over and taking it from the insurance companies.

My point is what is a modification? Fluffy dice off your mirror? New floor mats in your car? New brake pads? Replacement tyre valves?

These are all technically modifications from a standard specification. If we simply accept that we have to declare all of these or risk having no insurance then we are simply setting a precedent for an insurance company to be able to argue paying out on a future claim for the most trivial things.

"Sorry Ma'am, but your insurance is invalid because you haven't got the original tax disc holder fitted!" I mean come on people.

I understand people's point regarding Paul. Sorry mate, but you are perhaps showing signs of a frustrated teenager lol! But I can understand his point; £600 for bar end mirrors!!! I'd be writing to the Ombudsman because that insurance company deserves to be written off. And yes, listing all of your mods and then saying but I'm not going to declare them is perhaps a little daft lol.

But if we accept everything we are told by insurance companies and if we simply roll over and die when they do try to wriggle out of payment, then we are leaving ourselves open for ever increasing premiums with no legitimate reasoning.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 07/04/2010 07:10  

this is how crazy insurance companies are . got a pickup truck insured to carry private goods ,i put a chrome rollbar in the back bolted to the floor (to tie ladders etc to) insurance said they wouldnt cover it because it was modified . take out the bolts ,leave it loose in the back of the truck or tie it on with rope ,no problem cause im carrying my own goods. i had this insurance for 2 days then canceled ,cost with admin over £100. you can argue till you are blue in the face but they dont listen & life is too short.

Update Reply
ASENR @ 07/04/2010 08:13  

Paul, I think what you need to remember here, is that no one is trying to spoil your fun, but give you advise re insurance. A lot of the peeps on here have been through all the shite with insurance companies, and has been said previously as you're within your first 2 years, you really don't wanna do anything that could get you points & a ban. We all WANT to see you on the road - BUT with correct insurance

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 07/04/2010 10:05  

Paul, my advice is this... Buy the standard parts from a scrap yard. It'll cost you next to nothing. Get your mate (or someone from BM?) to help you fit them at little or no cost (cos I know you're already skint). Keep all the nice mods in the shed till next year when you have to renew. Then look at all the insurance companies and get quotes WITH the mods. If you find a good quote then go for it and re-fit the mods. But for the next 12 months just get the standard stuff on (you can flog them again next year anyhow if you put the mods back on). 2 important things... 1) Almost every bandit owner changes parts! Post a message on BM asking for spare parts. You may find someone has a spare bar that they want out of their way and only ask for postage! 2) Insurance companies are all very difference. One will give great quotes for 'standard' bikes but may give crazy quotes for any kind of mod. Another company might not even add anything for mods, but their 'standard' price may just be a little bit higher than the 1st company. So do what I'm telling you... get the standard bits (the obvious ones first, like handlebar) and ride safe out there! Oh, one last thing... MANY MANY MANY people have an accident on their first 'big' bike. That includes me and will most likely include you. They WILL see all the mods and you'll be screwed then (You wont get a bike OR car for at least 10 years!!!)

Update Reply
Matt @ 07/04/2010 11:46  

Sounds like good advice Matt.. I do hope Paul takes note.. One final thing from me Paul.... I reckon if you go ahead with your plans then the only thing your Insurance certificate is good for is re-newing your road tax... Might be worth sending AJ a PM.. he has become quite good at sourcing good Insurance deals... His first car insurance was over a grand so he will know first hand how you feel. I know for a fact he wont mind me saying so....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/04/2010 12:26  

Also, i can only assume your having the bike restricted to 33bhp. Remember this "<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:stockticker>HAS</st1:stockticker>" do go down as a modification, even though it does make the bike less powerful. I found this a pain, because most insurance companies don’t care what the mod is, they either decline or wack the cost up. Also I found the cost doesn’t really go up for any other mods after that, so it may be that it wouldn’t cost you more for your extras.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Update Reply
adrenaline_Junkie @ 07/04/2010 16:36  

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> They seem to get good prices thebikeinsurer.co.uk</o:p>

Update Reply
adrenaline_Junkie @ 07/04/2010 16:38  

Guys at the end of the day any change from standard is classed as a modification in the eyes of the insurance company assessors, they will try anything to avoid paying out, this is the assessors day job or if they do it's the minimum they can get away with. Some company's would treat a pinstripe as a MOD and if you haven't told them then the policy is void, as they class it as making the vehicle more desirable. So be very sure that this is the route you want to go down, heed the other comments as they giving you good advice.

Update Reply
Doh Boy @ 07/04/2010 18:43  

insurance policies hmmm. i was my ex partners p.a and one of the tasks he set me while he was offshore was find a better quote for the bike (triumph sprint 900) he was with bennets and i managed to save him over 200 pounds with another company, not peanuts huh ?

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 22/04/2010 18:01  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email