MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

cbr600 refusing to start

cbr600 refusing to start - Forums [Biker Match] cbr600 refusing to start - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

cbr600 refusing to start

my r reg cbr600 was stood for 8 weeks. started fine and went on a 80+ ride out , no problems. two weeks later, went to start it and it ran on choke for 5 mins aprox in back yard then went parp...tried to start it again and ended up flooding it. friend came and cleande plugs and re charged the almost new battery. still no joy..............it is kept in a 9 by 10 feet metal shed (A bit like a mini garage) it is covered up. any ideas !! thank you xxxx

Update Reply
willow @ 27/01/2010 21:05  

80 mile ride i should say !!

Update Reply
willow @ 27/01/2010 21:06  

sounds like you've got plenty of fuel. have you got good blue sparks on the plugs?

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 27/01/2010 21:13  

Could be dirt in fuel blocked jets

Update Reply
micksaway @ 27/01/2010 21:41  

that'd be why it flooded then mick . lol

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 27/01/2010 21:42  

could be damp ignition box if its been running then left in a metal shed dose it try starting or dose it just spin till it gose flat ? other possibles are arlarm if fitted could be cutting the ignition with imobalizer

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 27/01/2010 21:50  

Arnt choke Jets seperate from main jets Blues

Update Reply
micksaway @ 27/01/2010 21:58  

aye could be bloked cross over jets

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 27/01/2010 21:59  

Willow said it died while on choke. i presumed that she didn't have it on choke after that but still won't start

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 27/01/2010 22:04  

Willow - mine did exactly the same thing. After much buggering about, my so called good battery was goosed, and now having bought a brand new one, is running like a good un. Well at least i hope it is, i only put it on the bike on sunday <touches wood>. But after what seemed like eternity of turning over, it eventually fired and didnt sound any the worse for it. Will tell you next week if starts again lol

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 27/01/2010 22:24  

my triumph dont start after long periods of time unless i jump start it so dc you may be right there too try putting some jump leads across it see if that works then you can prove the battery

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 27/01/2010 22:43  

have the plug top thingies gone back on in the right order ? Ok so I may not know the names of what I mean but I do know if they are not on in the correct order then it wont fire propperly

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 27/01/2010 22:50  

Cbr 600 that are not fuel injected do have this problem of flooding easy more so if they are a grey import, i have seen many of them. They are very sensitive to fuel mix and blocking of jets.

When the fuel tap is off or in the vacuum type are not run regular the fuel will dry in the carbs and leave a power that blocks the jets.
Most of the time they flood and that fuel stays in the chamber, so when the plugs are cleaned and dried you put them back in and they foul straight away.

Take the plugs out and turn the engine over a couple of times then let the bike dry out for a few hours or over night. Warm the plugs refit them and put some fresh fuel in as unleaded that's been standing looses it combustibility.

Then start on full choke and no throttle, if it miss fires or runs on 2 or 3 cylinders (check this by feeling the down pipes if they are cold it's that cylinder that's not firing) pick up the revs no more than 5 thou and knock the choke off, it should run on all four cylinders.
If it doesn't miss fire and will not pick up on all four cylinders repeat the same procedure on the cold cylinder, failing that the carb will have to come of and be cleaned.

I hope this helps.

Update Reply
sdv9r @ 27/01/2010 23:36  

The first thing is to check its actually sparkin before we start strippin the bike down. Easy thing first.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 27/01/2010 23:45  

Very true Blues very true.

Update Reply
sdv9r @ 28/01/2010 02:44  

reading all the help that has been offered you should and probably will have your bike running very soon,but did you say there was any smell of petrol?in which case my mate also with a cbr had a the same proplem on starting,it turned out that it was the petrol pump not working so no petrol was getting to the carbs,hope this helps and good luck.

Update Reply
whiteairedfox @ 28/01/2010 07:21  

no imoblizer thingy and battery fully charged..not sure what col plugs are but have noted suggestions and wil;l ask my friend to ave a look...tis a pain in the botty! plug thingys went back in right place , fuel in tank too!! it almost statrs but not quite..pressinig start button it makes the nosie like it is trying but just does not quite catch.. wish i knew someone closer to fix it !! ta for all your ideas..............all welcome xx

Update Reply
willow @ 28/01/2010 22:28  

ps.........i have printed off all suggestions so can see if any one near hear will ave a look at it ........ta xxx see ya all at rivi soon hugs xx

Update Reply
willow @ 28/01/2010 22:31  

willow if it is trying to start then the fuel will have gone off in the carbs just try draining the float bowls and then try it

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 28/01/2010 23:00  

Have you tried the ignition fuse to see if its broken, it could be electrical like the main ignition wire near the connector blocks.

Update Reply
thediver37 @ 28/01/2010 23:04  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email